new shooter. need help

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: new shooter. need help

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2016, 9:31 pm

I say, if they give you any trouble. Just shootem in the back..

oops theres rules about that, better not.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 06 May 2016, 5:34 am

:drinks: :D I like the joke about trump Cruz and the blonde!!
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 06 May 2016, 3:02 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:Junkies mostly, there are just a bunch of strange people I have come across in my state forest. I wouldn't call it safe.

Which forest? :wtf:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by halfcocked » 07 May 2016, 2:43 pm

thanks for the replies.
cobaw and springvale both 1 hour from me and little river 1hr 10mins. which one do you guys recommend? my reason on licence is hunting, is that accepted at the range? whats the "ro's at springvale"?
yeh prob take a mate with me, a loner in the woods with a gun doesn't look the best. like someone else said, don't worry about weirdos out there, I'm the one holding the gun.
toolangi or wombat? if you could get in a gully and use a mountain of earth as a backdrop it'd be safe. whats an ideal target to take? a metal plate could ricochet, although I've seen that used lots on youtube
think for now ill get an air rifle to learn with. savage with scope 1200fps for $300 might be the go? springer.
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 07 May 2016, 7:49 pm

Have yet to hit up cobaw yet, little river is good but far for me (N.E Melbs), hunting is accepted anywhere.

This is just my personal experience but the Range officers at springvale are way to over zelous, which is why i no longer go there, say if you ' missfire ' they insist on taking your rifle weather its yours or range rental and ' taking it to a special room ' and dealing with it, i've got many other stories but maybe its just bad luck. And no i'm not a noob when it comes to firearms i follow all the rules like the sheep we are.

And i've shot in both, but i'm more familur with toolangi if you've got a 4wd you can get into the little areas that arn't really used.

As for targets take anything safe, don't shoot at trees, and go from there, some form of stand is a great idea, real estate stands may or may not be a great target frame
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by halfcocked » 07 May 2016, 8:56 pm

Yeh i know what you're saying. That would be annoying especially if you're not a noob.
Might go check it out and use their .22. $45 sounds pretty good including 50 rounds.
I have a 4by buts its totally stock, no muddies or lift kits or winch.
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 07 May 2016, 9:16 pm

Bring your own ammo if you can they charge througn the arse for theirs.

And thats all thats needed, just got to know what to and what not to tackle you'll find a spot somewhere
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by halfcocked » 20 Jun 2016, 11:44 am

AusTac wrote:Bring your own ammo if you can they charge througn the arse for theirs.

And thats all thats needed, just got to know what to and what not to tackle you'll find a spot somewhere

Haha found out on the weekend about the officers at springvale! Flogs!
Aquired my first ever guns.
Mossberg .22 international plinkster 802. Scoped
Zastava 17hmr. Scoped
Akkar churchill 12ga.
All almost new. Plus a new 5 gun safe and $200 of ammo and shotty cleaner. Got everything fir $1400.

Did ok at springvale on the weekend with the. 22. Needed alot of sighting in. Tried their cz452. Beautiful compared to the mossberg and i shot better groupings.
Ammo was well priced i thought at $8 for 50. Federal game or something it was. 1260fps 38grain.
But them ro.....wow! Full on!
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 20 Jun 2016, 12:31 pm

halfcocked wrote:But them ro.....wow! Full on!

The're still that bad eh? Really turns people/me off on the odd occasion that i took someone there.

Sound like you got a good spread of f/a there for some small game hunting that zastava would be pretty nice, always impressed that the cz's are as good as they are there considering the abuse they get lol.

Some weird wind patterns can mess with your shots in that place which can make sighting in a challenge

Been to little river or cobaw yet?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by halfcocked » 20 Jun 2016, 3:13 pm

No havnt been to those ranges yet. How are they? What calibres can you should and what ranges?
My mag was too high and the bolt would push the bullet vertical. I figured out to insert the mag then pull it down a mm and it fixed it. They never said anything to me though but if you misfire they make you wait 15 secs. I only did it cos my mag was empty and i didnt count lol.
The action on the cz was beautiful. Well oiled. Smooth. Felt like quality. Mossberg wasnt as good. I want to clean and lube it but don't even know how to remove the bolt. Im very mechanical minded, once ive seen it done once ill be fine. Whats my best bet to learn that?
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 20 Jun 2016, 3:26 pm

Little river is awesome, cobaw i haven't been yet, little river is up to 50bmg, cobaw is 30 cal i think? Something like that.

The cz's are very good but those bolts have been worked probably millions of times, a little bit of grease on the locking lugs and a few hundred round out to get you started on the way to a smooth bolt.

Instructions should tell you, if you don't have them youtube internet would tell you and then download the instructions
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 20 Jun 2016, 5:20 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:'New Shooter needs help' ?

Nup ... The U.S.A / World needs help, if the Trumptster gets over the line !

( my apologies for introducing politics, but sometimes 'perspective' is important. )

Blonde.jpg

So you think Hillary would be better? But then she does want to subject American Citizens to the onerous laws you Australian Subjects are under. No thanks.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by halfcocked » 20 Jun 2016, 6:06 pm

AusTac wrote:Little river is awesome, cobaw i haven't been yet, little river is up to 50bmg, cobaw is 30 cal i think? Something like that.

The cz's are very good but those bolts have been worked probably millions of times, a little bit of grease on the locking lugs and a few hundred round out to get you started on the way to a smooth bolt.

Instructions should tell you, if you don't have them youtube internet would tell you and then download the instructions

What kind of grease is best to use? Moly? Someone wrote teflon no good to breathe. I have no idea what locking lugs are lol. Have to hit up google.
What about swabbing out gunk and gunpowder etc in a .22, how often would you clean and lube?
Im gonna try find out how many rounds have been through mine. Didnt get any owners manuals
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by halfcocked » 20 Jun 2016, 6:16 pm

So its only had 80 rounds put through it plus the 180 i put through yesterday.
Looked like a little dirt/sand was in the action. Itd been in the back of a ute hunting bunnies.
I think im gonna be one of these ocd gun owners about keeping things perfect
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 20 Jun 2016, 6:58 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:'New Shooter needs help' ?

Nup ... The U.S.A / World needs help, if the Trumptster gets over the line !

( my apologies for introducing politics, but sometimes 'perspective' is important. )

Blonde.jpg

So you think Hillary would be better? But then she does want to subject American Citizens to the onerous laws you Australian Subjects are under. No thanks.

And .... you believe Donald trump is the right person to lead 'the free world' ???

Seriously ?

I mean ... are you so f**king narrow minded ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 20 Jun 2016, 7:05 pm

I hardly ever clean my .22's bore/barrel, but i always clean the bolt, chamber, feed ramp and the action in general usually before and maybe after a shoot, but thats just me, .22's can go hundreds of rounds without cleaning they require the lube/lead for accuracy btw get that sand out asap, that won't do you or the rifle any favours.

Centrefires are a whole different kettle of fish but you'll get to that later

As for grease, i dunno i just got some from the gun shop in a tiny white tube thing, lasts agggges.

And i wouldn't let the ocd consume you.. it's a personal thing but if you clean everytime especially the .22 i'll cause alot of wear and tear over time more so than a centre fire but thats just me other guys may have different advise
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Squiddy » 20 Jun 2016, 8:50 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have an air rifle waiting to be sighted in and was going to head to Springvale when I have time - whats with all the hate? Am I better off going to Little River?

Or are the RO's just particular about safety gear, operation etc (which is understandable).
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 20 Jun 2016, 9:21 pm

It's just my personal experience, but by all means go to springvale to shoot, they deal with alot of unlicensed/new to/tourists/unsafe people and as such run a very very tight ship, theres just something about having someone breathing down your neck ( sometimes literally ) that puts me off, rules such as bolts up till your ready to physically squeeze the trigger, as in load, sight picture bolt down bang, if you missfire and they catch if they wait 15 seconds and take the rifle off you yours or range rental to clear it like i'm a licensed experienced shooter please leave me be, little things all in the name of safety i guess, it's not personally against they ro's or anything but maybe i just had a bad run but i think thats enough for now i wouldn't bother going to little river if your just taking a air rifle waste of fuel/time if your in the eastern northern suburbs
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Supaduke » 20 Jun 2016, 9:30 pm

Springvale is fine. The RO's are volunteers that have to deal with a constant flow of unlicensed or inexperienced shooters. They are there for your protection and everyone else's. A she'll be right attitude is not good enough for a public shooting range. They can not afford any injuries. Perhaps certain members should show a little more respect to people donating their time to maintain a range for your enjoyment. If you are a licensed shooter that can follow basic safety procedures and range protocol you won't have any issues at all. Springvale is an excellent range and the only one in metro Melbourne open to the public.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 20 Jun 2016, 9:36 pm

AusTac wrote:It's just my personal experience, but by all means go to springvale to shoot, they deal with alot of unlicensed/new to/tourists/unsafe people and as such run a very very tight ship, theres just something about having someone breathing down your neck ( sometimes literally ) that puts me off, rules such as bolts up till your ready to physically squeeze the trigger, as in load, sight picture bolt down bang, if you missfire and they catch if they wait 15 seconds and take the rifle off you yours or range rental to clear it like i'm a licensed experienced shooter please leave me be, little things all in the name of safety i guess, it's not personally against they ro's or anything but maybe i just had a bad run but i think thats enough for now i wouldn't bother going to little river if your just taking a air rifle waste of fuel/time if your in the eastern northern suburbs

I have been there dozens of times , I have never seen or been told about the bolt up practice.

Do you look dodgy or something? ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 20 Jun 2016, 9:45 pm

Supaduke wrote:
AusTac wrote:It's just my personal experience, but by all means go to springvale to shoot, they deal with alot of unlicensed/new to/tourists/unsafe people and as such run a very very tight ship, theres just something about having someone breathing down your neck ( sometimes literally ) that puts me off, rules such as bolts up till your ready to physically squeeze the trigger, as in load, sight picture bolt down bang, if you missfire and they catch if they wait 15 seconds and take the rifle off you yours or range rental to clear it like i'm a licensed experienced shooter please leave me be, little things all in the name of safety i guess, it's not personally against they ro's or anything but maybe i just had a bad run but i think thats enough for now i wouldn't bother going to little river if your just taking a air rifle waste of fuel/time if your in the eastern northern suburbs

I have been there dozens of times , I have never seen or been told about the bolt up practice.

Do you look dodgy or something? ;)

I must look like i came down from broady with my grey market .22 or something haha or maybe i coped the old fella on his bad days i dunno
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by halfcocked » 21 Jun 2016, 10:03 am

I found them not very welcoming or helpful. On a real power trip and spoke to everybody like crap. Very unprofessional imo and not a good look for any business.
In saying that its a great range and ill continue to go back. You meet people of different personalities everywhere you go. In my experience once these type people see you a few times and realise you know what you're about and not a idiot tourist waving a rifle around, they lighten up.
Dont be put off. Its an ideal place to shoot just some different cats running it lol.
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by halfcocked » 22 Jun 2016, 4:56 pm

If hunting pests in state forest can you have unlicensed persons accompanying you? I take it they cant shoot, right?
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 22 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm

You can have as many unlicenced mates with you as you want but id have paperwork, and ONE firearm and everything firearm/ammo related in your secure posession, and nope can't shoot unless your on an approved range
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by halfcocked » 26 Jun 2016, 8:30 pm

Took the 22 and 17 to toolangi today for some sighting in. First time firing the 17. Its alot louder! I prefer the nifty little plinkster.
Drove in a fair way. Parked. Walked down a steep hill then setup on a flatspot. Used an old log as a rest and another old log for target which i pinned up. Worked a treat.
Few 4wd and motorbikes could be heard on the road above. You can hear a pin drop out there so just waited until they moved on before firing. Generally would fire 5 rounds then inspect and have a cuppa in between every 15 or so. A bit of a break is smart to not upset other park users or allow anyone to zoom in on your location attract unwanted attention etc. Picked up all brass. Was a good day out.
The place has great 4wd tracks if you have lift kits etc. Some realll deep rutts around. There were bullet holes in signs and hole riddled beer cans. This reflects bad on us shooters. Should take your rubbish with you leave things how you found them.
Gave both receivers a wipe over. Very hard to get into! So small. Need to buy proper sized rods and brushes for 22 and 17.
Cleaned the shotty thoroughly as i have a gunslick kit for it. Was pretty grotty. Oiled it all up and im happy with it. Its a good feeling.
Do you dry swab it before next use to remove oil in the shotty barrel?
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 26 Jun 2016, 8:46 pm

Mines chrome lined so i keep it dryish, and good to hear your being smart about it, as i'm sure your aware got to watch the back drop, toolangi would have been damn cold today lol

Theres a place not to far in that looks disgusting, range produce, smashed clays and junk everywhere, shot up signs, its crap

Some very big holes in that place
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by halfcocked » 26 Jun 2016, 8:54 pm

Had another mountain as a backdrop. Yeh was pretty frest around 10.45 when we arrived warmed up though around 1 then got cold again lol.
Geez that sounds bad. Yahoos! Im into my fishing too and always clean up my rubbish before i go.
Only fired 37 rounds in total. Prob hit up springvale again next and put 200 through it.
Saw 1 wallaby btw and few droppings not sure what from. Heard a few gunshots but not alot or constant.
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 26 Jun 2016, 8:59 pm

halfcocked wrote: Heard a few gunshots but not alot or constant.

Blaze Orange :) and live to shoot another day :thumbsup:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by halfcocked » 27 Jun 2016, 4:48 am

darwindingo wrote:
halfcocked wrote: Heard a few gunshots but not alot or constant.

Blaze Orange :) and live to shoot another day :thumbsup:

What does that mean?
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 27 Jun 2016, 6:15 am

Blaze orange safety gear haha, so people don't think your an animal it's that bright clothing you see in the outdoorsy shops
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles