Lithgow LA102 Centrefire

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lithgow LA102 Centrefire

Post by Asgard » 08 Feb 2017, 6:59 pm

Hey AusTac,
did you end up buying a LA102 in 223?
i'm curious for some reviews as i am keen to get one for my first purchase.
Cheers
Asgard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Asgard » 08 Feb 2017, 7:41 pm

All good Austac, found your other post re the 308.
Asgard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rgo » 09 Feb 2017, 4:10 am

Tried to order one the yesterday and was told there would be no 308s available till at least mid may. Thats for the walnut stock, the others should be available.
Rgo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Feb 2017, 5:50 am

If I was to pick up a LA102 it would have to synthetic with the stainless barrel, has to match my LA101 right :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 09 Feb 2017, 9:10 am

Wylie27 wrote:If I was to pick up a LA102 it would have to synthetic with the stainless barrel, has to match my LA101 right :)

I've got the silver cerakote and synthetic in both the .22 and .308, the amount of times i've gone to grab the .22 when going out on a hunt :crazy: it'll happen one day
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Feb 2017, 10:24 am

Lol damn hadn't thought of that.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 11 Feb 2017, 10:50 pm

Cryptic wrote:Curious myself how they are. Saw Ozziereviews vid and has changed my mind to think of one but he also highly reviewed the 101 and I have read so many with issues.
I prefer personal user reviews over those given the product to test. Owners are more critical having bought and continually use an item.
Sponser/promoted reviewers can be given a flawless item hand checked over and corrected by the company compared to off the line.

Ozzie Reviews is in no way sponsored or endorsed by any company mate. He is as unbiased as they come.The best reviewer out there! Most of his gear is purchased for himself. He got a good one.Simple as. Mine jams sometimes with the original mag. Who cares it's no big deal. I just use the CZ 10 round mag and it doesn't have a feed problem at all :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gun-nut » 11 Feb 2017, 11:36 pm

Sam45 wrote:
Cryptic wrote:Curious myself how they are. Saw Ozziereviews vid and has changed my mind to think of one but he also highly reviewed the 101 and I have read so many with issues.
I prefer personal user reviews over those given the product to test. Owners are more critical having bought and continually use an item.
Sponser/promoted reviewers can be given a flawless item hand checked over and corrected by the company compared to off the line.

Ozzie Reviews is in no way sponsored or endorsed by any company mate. He is as unbiased as they come.The best reviewer out there! Most of his gear is purchased for himself. He got a good one.Simple as. Mine jams sometimes with the original mag. Who cares it's no big deal. I just use the CZ 10 round mag and it doesn't have a feed problem at all :thumbsup:

Agreed, you can trusts Ozzie's reviews. If he has a problem with a product he'll state it outright.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 11 Feb 2017, 11:44 pm

Sam45 wrote:

I wasn't saying he was sponsored just that his high praise for the 101 where others had many issues made me wonder.

Talking about sponsored reviews I more meant that most of the reviews you tend to find these days online are by selected reviewers who are given the item for short term testing.
I seek more handgun reviews than anything as that's my more preferred hobby and so many of them online are bias or sponsored you have to pick and choose.
The ones that buy the item for their own collection and use are the types I prefer to view.

I have lost interest in the lithgow for now as others might suit my needs better.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tils » 13 Feb 2017, 7:10 pm

Hi guys, I'm a fairly happy owner of a LA102 chambered in .308. The only problem I've had so far is some hollow points don't feed well some times and the last sometimes doesn't feed well at all, and end up hitting the round in the side of the casing.
The rifle is still fairly new- I've only put about 100 rounds through it, as such I'm not sure if this is caused by the factory magazine, but I've ordered the Lucky 13 10 shot mag anyway, and will see how it goes then.
Tils
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 13 Feb 2017, 8:04 pm

Tils wrote:Hi guys, I'm a fairly happy owner of a LA102 chambered in .308. The only problem I've had so far is some hollow points don't feed well some times and the last sometimes doesn't feed well at all, and end up hitting the round in the side of the casing.
The rifle is still fairly new- I've only put about 100 rounds through it, as such I'm not sure if this is caused by the factory magazine, but I've ordered the Lucky 13 10 shot mag anyway, and will see how it goes then.

Cheers mate :thumbsup: keep us posted
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 13 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

Tils wrote:Hi guys, I'm a fairly happy owner of a LA102 chambered in .308. The only problem I've had so far is some hollow points don't feed well some times and the last sometimes doesn't feed well at all, and end up hitting the round in the side of the casing.

Hey Tils, my mates 308 Lithgow has feeding issues with the OSA hollow points when using the factory mag, he hasn't tried any other brands as yet, it doesn't seem to have any issues when using the 10 shot lucky 13.
I've got a 308 Lithgow also and it hasn't had any feeding issues to date with several brands of ammo including the OSA, I've used my two factory mags (one out of my 243) and my lucky 13 in mine as well as my mates factory and lucky 13, they all work fine.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 14 Feb 2017, 8:39 am

Not sure if i've asked this before but i've searched all the related threads and can't find anything.

Can someone with one of these LA102 rifles please disassemble the rifle/stock and take/post some clear pics of the action and bedding system? A good close up of the bolts head and top view (shooters view of the assembled rifle would go well too. If you get really excited, do a write up of build quality, functionality, etc. as well.

Much appreciated! :D
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 14 Feb 2017, 9:13 am

Sako mags don't work by the way, ask me how i know lol, thought sako and tikka sleep in the same bed
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Feb 2017, 9:41 am

AusTac wrote:Sako mags don't work by the way, ask me how i know lol, thought sako and tikka sleep in the same bed

What model Sako are you talking about mate?
I have 7 different Sakos ( from 461 to L61R ) and never had a feeding issue with any of them.
I have two Sako 75's, one in 7-08 and one in 6.5 x 55, both feed so smoothly that at times you find yourself opening the bolt to check for the round as you cannot feel it feed in. The 6.5 x 55 will feed empty cases from the mag as fast as you can cycle it.
All of them will feed a round thrown loose into the open action.
Just wonderin' :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 14 Feb 2017, 9:45 am

Gamerancher wrote:
AusTac wrote:Sako mags don't work by the way, ask me how i know lol, thought sako and tikka sleep in the same bed

What model Sako are you talking about mate?
I have 7 different Sakos ( from 461 to L61R ) and never had a feeding issue with any of them.
I have two Sako 75's, one in 7-08 and one in 6.5 x 55, both feed so smoothly that at times you find yourself opening the bolt to check for the round as you cannot feel it feed in. The 6.5 x 55 will feed empty cases from the mag as fast as you can cycle it.
All of them will feed a round thrown loose into the open action.
Just wonderin' :unknown:

Was in regards to my la102 308, the rumour was that tikka mags worked in the lithgow ( yes/no anyone? ) and being that the shop had none at the time i got a sako mag which looked identical to a tikka mag on one of the display guns, feeds snap caps fine,but any type of live round just gets mangled, haven't bothered to fuigure out why yet

I'm not rich enough for a sako..if only :drinks:
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Feb 2017, 9:54 am

"Fairy-nuff"
I gather that was a single stack plastic fantastic from a Sako -A7.
Not a fan of these , they are a compromise rifle built to a "price" to compete on the American market.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Tils » 20 Feb 2017, 2:26 pm

I received the lucky 13 mag in the mail, went home for lunch and tried it out. It sorted feed issues it would seem, so i looked at the plastic mag and there is about half a mm movement at the latching mechanism. Maybe that's all it took to create the problems i encountered.

Tils
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Asgard » 03 Mar 2017, 3:18 pm

This review has a few pictures of the trigger, bolt, barrell etc, its in pdf

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... hqaAec0wdA
Asgard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales