What calibre for next rifle?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What calibre for next rifle?

Post by sandgroperbill » 16 May 2016, 3:49 pm

Ok, ok, I'm going to be "that guy". If you have settled on .308, it will be solely for hunting and you think you may get into reloading, perhaps consider .30-06. Gives you a little more versatility when reloading. 220gr roundnose, anyone?

But, a .308 is completely suitable for any serious hunting you may do in oz. As for the .308 ammo being more readily available than .30-06? I have never found a store with .308 that didn't have .30-06 right next to it. But... You can get ADI and OSA in .308, which makes it pretty attractive if you won't be rolling your own.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gibbo » 16 May 2016, 3:49 pm

30-06

I have a 308 and my mate has a 30-06, both REM700's. Our other mate has a Sako 270. We all reload. My 308 has a varmint barrel (10 twist) and a break fitted and I can shoot it at steel for a bit of fun all day no worries. We have all played with 110 gr on foxes and heavier stuff out to distance. His 30-06 is a deer gun, hunter profile barrel, etc.

For what it's worth my 308 is more accurate, easier on the shoulder and can be shot for fun no worries. I wouldn't want to use the 30-06 for anything other than sighting in and stalking/shooting deer. It is much lighter and an easier carry.

The Sako 270 is a tack driver. Medium stainless barrel roughtech, very nice. But twice the price of our Remingtons and you have to get decent glass or you are letting the gun down... so pricey option.

Anyway... I like my 308, my mate likes his 30-06 and my other mate likes his 270 and all would kill a deer dead.

If I were picking one for strictly deer only i would go the cheap 30-06 because I know I would only end up going deer hunting 1-2 times per year and I would rather save the money for a upgrades to my 223 or 308 or a new shotgun or 22LR or night vision scope or fridge for the ute or a new tent or 7000 rounds of 223 or an exotic animal like a small monkey, etc.
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 16 May 2016, 5:33 pm

30.06 for people who want a big caliber but who are to scared to shoot a .375 H&H
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 16 May 2016, 7:39 pm

WayneO wrote:30.06 for people who want a big caliber but who are to scared to shoot a .375 H&H

375 H&H is not that heavy on recoil. It's more like a 'push' than a 'punch' on the shoulder. My mates little 5'2" hottie missus shot one and after only having shot a 12 guage and her first shot response on the 375 was "Can I have another shot?"
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by darwindingo » 16 May 2016, 10:45 pm

Good on Her that's awesome !!!! Hope she has the bug and takes up the sport ! My little hottie's first shot was a .458 win mag... I have to say that she grouped better than 9/10 (rather) experienced mates when they had their turn.. I was seriously impressed and proud !!!

I've told her that a " You name it and you've got it " policy with regard to her choice of firearm will be facilitated...!!

Cheers

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Elek » 17 May 2016, 2:51 pm

WayneO wrote:30.06 for people who want a big caliber but who are to scared to shoot a .375 H&H

One could read that as saying .375 H&H is for people who want to feel tough but not shoot sensibly. Meh.

.375 is a lot of gun, relatively speaking, excessive for the majority of hunting in Australia, including deer.

If you want one for whatever, great. If buffalo or regular big game make it a smart choice, great.

Knocking anyone for not enjoying shooting one is just posturing, poor form IMO, it doesn't make you a tough guy if you shoot one, and doesn't make you a wuss if you don't.

A .270 like OP originally asked about would be fine, as would a .308, 30-06 or similar cartridge. Thousands of deer are cleanly taken every year with these cartridges proving so.

For deer I'll happily shoot the cheaper, gently options thanks.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by WayneO » 17 May 2016, 4:49 pm

Elek wrote:

One could read that as saying .375 H&H is for people who want to feel tough but not shoot sensibly. Meh.

.375 is a lot of gun, relatively speaking, excessive for the majority of hunting in Australia, including deer.

If you want one for whatever, great. If buffalo or regular big game make it a smart choice, great.

Knocking anyone for not enjoying shooting one is just posturing, poor form IMO, it doesn't make you a tough guy if you shoot one, and doesn't make you a wuss if you don't.

A .270 like OP originally asked about would be fine, as would a .308, 30-06 or similar cartridge. Thousands of deer are cleanly taken every year with these cartridges proving so.

For deer I'll happily shoot the cheaper, gently options thanks.

I kind of think that you missed the sarcasm in that post, but fortunatly we have that covered; heres your sign :sarcasm:
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 May 2016, 8:45 pm

How many times has this been discussed? A hundred times. In my view my preference in order would be:
3006, 308, 270. All good and ammo is easy to obtain, prices reasonable.

If you hunt only ocassionally, dont send a mint on the rifle. Any of the common brand rifles will shoot good enough for hunting if you reload.
I have 2 Marlin bolt actions and they shoot better than moa. Yet everyone reakons they are s**t. And they were cheap as chips.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 17 May 2016, 8:59 pm

if i was going for 1 rifle only for hunting in Australia, I would be hard pressed to choose between the .270, .308, 7 x 57 and 30.06
However just because its not very common and its different, I would probably go with a 7x57, but if being practical is important, then the .308 would get my vote.
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 18 May 2016, 6:34 pm

I think you have made a wise choice on the .308 I have 2 a HB Howa (plinking and longer range hunting) and a MkX Mauser 20" barrel 3-9x40 scope it's my scrub gun and I love it it's my favourite rifle and most accurate. Having said that I probably love the .308 as I have one, it was a toss up between that and the 06 when I bought my first .30
Either the .30-06, .308, or .270 will serve you well and all of them with correct shot placement will not be out of their league anywhere in OZ. Buff may be the only exception.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Zilla » 14 Jun 2016, 10:53 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:Either the .30-06, .308, or .270 will serve you well and all of them with correct shot placement will not be out of their league anywhere in OZ. Buff may be the only exception.

That's the whole conversation in a nutshell.

A 140gr - 150gr hunting bullet and decent shot placement out of any of those will all drop a deer, and anything smaller, just the same.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 14 Jun 2016, 11:24 am

Gibbo wrote:30-06

I have a 308 and my mate has a 30-06, both REM700's. Our other mate has a Sako 270. We all reload. My 308 has a varmint barrel (10 twist) and a break fitted and I can shoot it at steel for a bit of fun all day no worries. We have all played with 110 gr on foxes and heavier stuff out to distance. His 30-06 is a deer gun, hunter profile barrel, etc.

For what it's worth my 308 is more accurate, easier on the shoulder and can be shot for fun no worries. I wouldn't want to use the 30-06 for anything other than sighting in and stalking/shooting deer. It is much lighter and an easier carry.

The Sako 270 is a tack driver. Medium stainless barrel roughtech, very nice. But twice the price of our Remingtons and you have to get decent glass or you are letting the gun down... so pricey option.

Anyway... I like my 308, my mate likes his 30-06 and my other mate likes his 270 and all would kill a deer dead.

If I were picking one for strictly deer only i would go the cheap 30-06 because I know I would only end up going deer hunting 1-2 times per year and I would rather save the money for a upgrades to my 223 or 308 or a new shotgun or 22LR or night vision scope or fridge for the ute or a new tent or 7000 rounds of 223 or an exotic animal like a small monkey, etc.

Get the monkey!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Festus Magnus » 15 Jun 2016, 4:53 pm

OP here: after further thought, I couldn't make up my mind between a .308 or .30-06. But I knew what I wanted: a Browning X-Bolt (alongside the Miroku MK10 and the Browning T-bolt).

So I popped into my LGS yesterday and found out they had a composite stainless steel X-Bolt in stock, but only in 30-06. That was enough for me to make a decision! Also bought a Bushnell Elite 3500 4-12x40 with Leupold rings and bases.

I was actually after an X-Bolt that had a complete black composite stock, but the faux-maple upper half of the stock is actually starting to grow on me. At least it's something different to look at!

Thanks again for all the advice fellas, and here are some photos for your enjoyment! :thumbsup:

Festus Magnus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 15 Jun 2016, 5:28 pm

Looks Good I'm sure it won't dissapoint.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by chrispy88 » 24 Jun 2016, 11:05 am

If you had have left it at "faux maple upper" and not included pics I'd have turned my nose up. But the pics show a nice contrast on the rifle. Enjoy mate.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 24 Jun 2016, 11:49 am

Looks good mate, but looks to flash to get dirty LOL
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 24 Jun 2016, 7:08 pm

Nice. Try not to kiss her good night in front of the missus, they get jealous.. ;)
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles