New hobby - black rifles

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New hobby - black rifles

Post by dogmatix » 17 May 2016, 1:49 pm

New hobby recently, as hunting trips are on the back burner with a toddler and new job.
Building those horrible evil black rifles, AR15s! (Yes, I'm across the ditch, so I'm allowed to do this, as I have the correct NZ endorsements).
I already had a Schmeisser AR15 (top of the line, German made) used more for service rifle shooting, but I was keen on building another AR more for hunting purposes, as the Schmeisser has a H-Bar profile Walther barrel. Great barrel, but not so good for carrying around the hills.

The Schmeisser from factory

In current service rifle mode

First new build was a Spikes Tactical lower receiver with Formosan parts kit and buffer tube/spring/buffer.

Lower complete with a horrible 2nd hand thumbhole stock which caused endless issues, namely cracked join, deeper screw hole in butt plate, leading to buffer hitting the protruding screw. Sigh!

Aero Precision upper (Spikes were sold out) and Spikes bolt carrier group.

You can see the grub screw fitted to allow the one piece stock to come off without destroying the selector spring.

Colt 11.5" carbine barrel in 5.56x45mm. Yes it is loud! But it will run with a can.

All fitted with Midwest rail, JP Adjustable gas block and spacer in butt plate to make it legal length in NZ (762mm).

Rifle complete with suppressor and mount/scope. VX2 scope is off my .22lr, as the Vortex 2-7x35 intended is back with Vortex with a faulty lense, ie it fell out! :cry:

I then wanted this to fit in a daypack as a breakdown rifle, it would be more compact and lighter as a E-Cat rifle with an adjustable carbine stock and I could then run mags bigger than 7 (I have plenty of 30's :D ).
So after getting an new Aero lower, getting it registered and parts fitted, Hiperfire EDT trigger, Magpul pistol grip, Stag milspec Buffer/tube and Magpul CTR stock.

I now have 2.5 ARs!

The thumbhole lower will eventually have a top (it will stay as NZ A-Cat though, to allow others to shoot it) and I have a new ODL titanium suppressor coming as well. Also plan to get a Leupold VX6 1-6 scope.
The 11.5" build shoots 65gn Sierra Gamekings and 77gn Sierra Tipped Matchkings at 0.6MOA, so good for a home build Frankenstein.

I can see why these are so popular as home builds in the USA.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Re: New hobby - black rifles

Post by Newdave » 18 May 2016, 1:42 am

I hate you . :thumbsup:

Just remember every day our powers that be and the UN as well as many in your own government and senior police would be working away in the back rooms preparing to take them away .

Great write up and pictures . Enjoy it while you can .
Newdave
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 18 May 2016, 2:20 am

I'm surprised you can get Spike's receivers.

I also have an 11.5". I planed to use it with a can but that is just a pain for the volume of shooting I do.

http://vimeo.com/9718720

Finally burnt out the barrel and need a new one.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by dogmatix » 18 May 2016, 6:39 am

Title_II wrote:I'm surprised you can get Spike's receivers.

I also have an 11.5". I planed to use it with a can but that is just a pain for the volume of shooting I do.

http://vimeo.com/9718720

Finally burnt out the barrel and need a new one.

At present I can get all the parts locally in New Zealand, only part I did get from the USA direct was the Hiperfire trigger (from Brownells).
It would cheaper to get all the parts from Brownells if I bulk order and spread the pain of the US $250 export fee, but I built these up over a few months.

Haha... not surprised you burnt the barrel out! I gather that is a pre 1986 select fire lower?
Beta mags in NZ are stupidly expensive, as our authorities don't like to hand out import permits for them. Kill joys.

The new ODL titanium suppressor I'm getting will be half the weight and 2/3 the length of the current one and rated for rapid fire to around 10,000 rounds.

https://www.oceania-defence.com/titanium-suppressors/556-suppressors/556-direct-action.html

My current AR can is not good for gas back, even with the adjustable gas block and silicon sealed gas busted charging handles. The ODL one manages the gas far better.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Title_II » 18 May 2016, 8:06 am

Yes. And like you said, it's loud as heck without a can. It puts a shockwave in the ground that runs up your spine and hits you in the teeth before the sound even gets to you. That's just the 11.5" with full power 5.56 ammo.

I have Gemtech HALO for .223/.22. I need to dump it and get a real .22 can that I can clean. I really have no need for suppressed .223.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by dogmatix » 18 May 2016, 8:52 am

I also run a suppressed Sako 75 .223.
Suppressed .223s are great for feral goats and long range varminting. Longest one hit shots were 4 turkeys at 405 to 410 metres with 55gn VMax handloads.
I dropped a mob of 12 goats with them standing around wondering what was happening, due to the suppressed shots not alarming them.

The fixed Vortex scope turned up today, so thanks Vortex for excellent customer service.
11.5" AR in its penultimate form (just waiting on the new ODL suppressor).

Last edited by dogmatix on 18 May 2016, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Title_II » 18 May 2016, 8:55 am

Looks sweet!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by GLS_1956 » 18 May 2016, 12:34 pm

I like. Yes, yes, I do.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by dogmatix » 18 May 2016, 1:55 pm

Black rifle fever is addictive, extremely contagious and there is no known cure.... apart from death.

Sigh.

This photo doesn't even include the gun bags, 3000x .223/5.56 cases, 1500 projectiles, 3000 primers or kgs of powder. :D
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by agentzero » 23 May 2016, 11:51 am

I like everything about this thread :D
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Baronvonrort » 23 May 2016, 5:56 pm

dogmatix wrote:Black rifle fever is addictive, extremely contagious and there is no known cure.... apart from death.

Sigh.

As the old saying goes - Once you go black you will never go back
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chickenhawk » 25 May 2016, 9:06 am

Just have to ask... 18 magazines? :lol:
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 25 May 2016, 11:41 am

I probably have 75 just for my ARs/M16.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 May 2016, 9:45 am

Chickenhawk wrote:Just have to ask... 18 magazines? :lol:

Ye, thats all he could fit in the shot :P

Good stuff, looks like a serious passion there....

And I think the general sentiment around here is the we hate you. In a good / brotherly way :thumbsup:

I see it as kind of ironic, that many Aussie guys reading this thread will themselves have rifles chambered in rounds many times more powerful than the little 223, yet for us to even suggest owning a self loading rifle in 22Rem... would be responded to with a chorus of deriding laughter by all those 'who bestow upon us the privilege' of temporarily possessing firearms from pollies down to cops walking the beat....
.............then our firearm 'legislators' only weeks ago, went over to NZ and tell your brass about the imperative to control lever action....wonder what deriding laughter sound like in a kiwi accent??? :P

Anyhoo, carry on....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by DrDerpy » 05 Jun 2016, 2:30 am

Beautiful pieces of machinery.
I am eternally jealous of NZ and its common sense gun laws.

I made enquiry about one of the Troy Defense pump action AR15's in NSW - everyone I talked to said "it would be like pushing s**t uphill with a teaspon with holes drilled in it, don't waste your time" and another person said "Can I get it here?, yes, can I get it to you?, no - I can get it to Sydney and it will go no further because it just wont get released from customs".

Apparently it looks scary because its black - and it shares some common components with the AR15 (obviously it is going to) like the barrel etc in some instances.
Unfortunately the fact you must manually chamber and expel the rounds is lost on our nanny state of NSW and despite being unable to be turned into a full on death machine (which apparently everything black and scary is..........................honestly these people are subversively racist),.
One day maybe.
DrDerpy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by dogmatix » 06 Jun 2016, 9:16 am

I've had a go on the .223 Troy pump, the .223, 300BLK and .308 versions retail for around the same price as the semi auto versions in NZ.
Very smooth action and well put together, as you would expect from Troy.
They do have a fluted chamber, like H&K semis etc,to aid with ejection/extraction, so probably not so good for reloading.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Carter » 14 Jun 2016, 11:08 am

By the time he's finished loading them all it's time for the next trip :mrgreen:
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by dogmatix » 14 Jun 2016, 1:08 pm

I get most of the mags from Brownells in the US and with the cost of postage, it pays to buy as many as you can at one time to spread the cost.
Hence the number visible, I've also sold off a few to mates. I do need some more 20s, as they are better for service rifle shooting prone.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by dogmatix » 14 Jun 2016, 1:11 pm

Carter wrote:

By the time he's finished loading them all it's time for the next trip :mrgreen:

Nah, speed loaders from Israel. ;)

http://store.israeli-weapons.com/lula-m4-m16-ar15-magazine-speed-loader-unloader-by-maglula.html

http://store.israeli-weapons.com/striplula-m4-m16-ar15-magazine-speed-loader-unloader-by-maglula.html
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Title_II » 14 Jun 2016, 5:30 pm

Maglulas can load mags. They suck at that, but are better than by hand. What they are good for is UNLOADING mags. They will unload a 30 round mag in less than 10 seconds for sure.

I know this doesn't mean much to most of my mates here, but the fastest loaders are from BETA.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Jun 2016, 9:17 pm

Title_II wrote:Maglulas can load mags. They suck at that, but are better than by hand. What they are good for is UNLOADING mags. They will unload a 30 round mag in less than 10 seconds for sure.

I know this doesn't mean much to most of my mates here, but the fastest loaders are from BETA.

Dont you use the gun to unload the mag??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 15 Jun 2016, 12:18 am

I keep mags loaded for defense. I also come back from the range with one or more unfired/partially fired mags on occasion.

I have premium ($expensive$) defensive ammo. And different ammo for shooting cans and invading communist dishwashers/televisions. Although I have dedicated mags, there is rotation and overlap on occasion. Plus, I may have some range mags with ammo in them but not be sure if they are full or not, and the only way to know is to unload them and then load them.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by dogmatix » 15 Jun 2016, 1:57 pm

My Schmeisser made mags (P-Mag clones, the 10 and 30s in the photo) are tight fit in the Aero lower, so another excuse for buying more (usually Lancers now).
Guys who also run 300BLK usually carry a few mags, even when hunting, some loaded with subsonics, the rest super.
Welcome to Sako club
dogmatix
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by AusC » 06 Jul 2016, 3:40 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Dont you use the gun to unload the mag??

That's the fun way :D
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles