Potential next gun: Carcano Calvary Carbine

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Potential next gun: Carcano Calvary Carbine

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 17 May 2016, 7:53 pm

Thinking of getting an Ex-Military rifle and the Italian ' Carcano ' has caught my interest. It seems to be a reliable and somewhat accurate gun and my LGS has one for $200 so I reackon I'll go with one.

The only problem is that it needs stripper clips to load the magazine and they are expensive here in Aus. On eBay you can get them from America for about $20-$30 . Do you think that they would pass customs? :?

If anyone's got experience with this gun I'd appreciate some feedback. :D :D

Thanks
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Potential next gun: Carcano Calvary Carbine

Post by fenderstrat » 18 May 2016, 7:53 pm

I have bought some stripper clips online from the U.S before, and they got through customs just fine.
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 18 May 2016, 8:25 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:Thinking of getting an Ex-Military rifle and the Italian ' Carcano ' has caught my interest. It seems to be a reliable and somewhat accurate gun and my LGS has one for $200 so I reackon I'll go with one.

:|
No

Please no

Buy anything

Just please let it not be a carcano, they are some of the most god-awful firearms to ever have been produced. Get a mauser, swedish mauser, Lee enfield, springfield, any other rifle but a carcano.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 18 May 2016, 9:22 pm

fenderstrat wrote:I have bought some stripper clips online from the U.S before, and they got through customs just fine.

Ah righto, thanks :D
Heckler303 wrote:
NukeBOMB88 wrote:Thinking of getting an Ex-Military rifle and the Italian ' Carcano ' has caught my interest. It seems to be a reliable and somewhat accurate gun and my LGS has one for $200 so I reackon I'll go with one.

:|
No

Please no

Buy anything

Just please let it not be a carcano, they are some of the most god-awful firearms to ever have been produced. Get a mauser, swedish mauser, Lee enfield, springfield, any other rifle but a carcano.

Is that from experience Heckler? Ive heard people say that but I'm yet to see any evidence
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 May 2016, 4:21 am

G'day NukeBOMB88,
I have 4 Carcanos, 2 rifles and 2 carbines. The later FAT 41 etc rifles can be very accurate with the right projectile, but for many years these were not available so handloaders used normal 6.5 (.264) which rattled of any where. Now that we can get .268 Hornady Carcano projies we are starting to challenge the Mauser boys out to 500m. The Carbine?? I have a TS that would make a good garden stake, it is rough as hessian sacks, and my Carbine 38 is OK, but I tried 11 in the shop to get it. Accurate? Lets say JFK was the unluckiest man in Dallas that day. (Not quite true, but not far off!) As for clips, gun shows, picked 6 brass ones up at the last show $9 each, Cheers.

PS: Buy the bloody thing anyway, always good for a laugh, and you can put the lie to the JFK conspiracy people by easily performing their "impossible time limit" shots. I can beat it myself by more than half a second. Remember, what you have doesn't have to win Bisley, only your heart!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 19 May 2016, 8:49 am

Up there as one of the worst service rifles around but cheap fun for $200 and accuracy might be ok on pigs out to 100m or so.

If you want something with better accuracy definately look at a Swede M96, a Lee Enfield no4, a Mauser K98k or a Mosin Nagant first (in that order) don't forget the Swiss 7.5mm straight pull

A K98 Israeli in 7.62X51 is a smart buy as you can get brass anywhere and load cheap .30 cal bullets.

A Mosin Nagant carbine is a lot of fun too.

I'm hoping to get one service rifle from each country, a Springfield 1903 is next but a Jap Ariska, French MAS-36 and a Carcano are at the bottom of the list

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 19 May 2016, 4:21 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day NukeBOMB88,
I have 4 Carcanos, 2 rifles and 2 carbines. The later FAT 41 etc rifles can be very accurate with the right projectile, but for many years these were not available so handloaders used normal 6.5 (.264) which rattled of any where. Now that we can get .268 Hornady Carcano projies we are starting to challenge the Mauser boys out to 500m. The Carbine?? I have a TS that would make a good garden stake, it is rough as hessian sacks, and my Carbine 38 is OK, but I tried 11 in the shop to get it. Accurate? Lets say JFK was the unluckiest man in Dallas that day. (Not quite true, but not far off!) As for clips, gun shows, picked 6 brass ones up at the last show $9 each, Cheers.

PS: Buy the bloody thing anyway, always good for a laugh, and you can put the lie to the JFK conspiracy people by easily performing their "impossible time limit" shots. I can beat it myself by more than half a second. Remember, what you have doesn't have to win Bisley, only your heart!

Thanks for that, I reackon I just might buy it :D
Chronos wrote:Up there as one of the worst service rifles around but cheap fun for $200 and accuracy might be ok on pigs out to 100m or so.

If you want something with better accuracy definately look at a Swede M96, a Lee Enfield no4, a Mauser K98k or a Mosin Nagant first (in that order) don't forget the Swiss 7.5mm straight pull

A K98 Israeli in 7.62X51 is a smart buy as you can get brass anywhere and load cheap .30 cal bullets.

A Mosin Nagant carbine is a lot of fun too.

I'm hoping to get one service rifle from each country, a Springfield 1903 is next but a Jap Ariska, French MAS-36 and a Carcano are at the bottom of the list

Chronos

I reackon you're right chronos, it certainly will make for cheap fun :)

On another note:
Why does everyone hate on the Carcano so much? Is there any actual fact behind the dislike?
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 May 2016, 6:31 pm

The hate comes down to the poor reputation with incorrect ammo, the very ordinary quality of fitting on many of them and a natural bias against the arms of our enemies. Also for many years you simply couldn't get the clips for love nor money, so you had an average at best single shot, but in the last 8-10 years this has changed. As I said above, now we have the right projectile the Carcano can hold its own against the Enfields and Mausers. Would I use my FAT42 in comp regularly instead of my K31?, no, but at least once a year I do and score reasonably, Cheers.
PS: If you do buy one, give me a PM and I'll donate a clip to get you underway
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 19 May 2016, 6:38 pm

Just buy it, fix it, shoot it, hate it, fix it again and shoot it some more, for a few hundred $$ can't go wrong even if they are crap

No1Mk3 wrote:PS: If you do buy one, give me a PM and I'll donate a clip to get you underway

This guy ^ , toppest of top blokes!
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Supaduke » 20 May 2016, 11:21 am

Just buy it. As long as the rifle is in decent condition they are very decent. They are made of good quality steel and well constructed. As mentioned , most of the inaccuracy issues were caused by naive hand loaders using .264 (6.5mm) pills instead of .268. Rounds tended to 'rattle' down the spout and go anywhere. The Carcano certainly had some design quirks that once tested in battle proved inferior to other rifles. Reliance on clips and difficulty single round top loading were two aspects that proved a real shortfall in real world conditions. As a piece of history though it's just something that makes them unique and interesting.
Gun opinions remind me of the Holden vs Ford rivalry, both sides completely positive the other's product is ******, yet only relying on dodgy anecdotal evidence.

Buy it, shoot it and enjoy it. Accept the quirks for what they are.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 May 2016, 1:23 pm

Supaduke wrote:Just buy it. As long as the rifle is in decent condition they are very decent. They are made of good quality steel and well constructed. As mentioned , most of the inaccuracy issues were caused by naive hand loaders using .264 (6.5mm) pills instead of .268. Rounds tended to 'rattle' down the spout and go anywhere. The Carcano certainly had some design quirks that once tested in battle proved inferior to other rifles. Reliance on clips and difficulty single round top loading were two aspects that proved a real shortfall in real world conditions. As a piece of history though it's just something that makes them unique and interesting.
Gun opinions remind me of the Holden vs Ford rivalry, both sides completely positive the other's product is ******, yet only relying on dodgy anecdotal evidence.

The bad rep of the little Italian is possibly due to bullet issues, poor terminal performance or sizing issues. maybe ust dis-info, as its one of the very few rifles designs not used/stolen by the allies over the years...

The 91 or Model 91 (more correct name rather than Carcano or Mannlicher-Carcano) as the original chambering uses a 6.5/6.8mm barrel, compared to the 6.45/6.7 of most other 6.5s....hence a 'normal' 6.5 chambering bullet(of 6.7diameter) will partially engrave the rifling only 67% engagement (compared to the other popular undersized chamberings the 303Brit and 6.5x55 with 78% and 91% rifling engagement on undersized bullet-to-groove-diameter)

I have personally, wanted to pick one up for a while and have been waiting to find one in exceptional condition come up :thumbsup:
As far as accuracy goes.... who buy a an ex mil rifle, potentially 70 to 120+ yrs vintage.... to shoot 'flys' at 500m? or because they're cheap to feed....each is a piece of nostalgic history.

And the clips, theyre en-bloc chargers are they not, like a garand??

All good... buy it and shoot it :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 20 May 2016, 2:11 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:The hate comes from..... and a natural bias against the arms of our enemies.
I do believe this fails to explain the Absolute devotion to all things 98 Mauser both the K98 and the commercial versions. Even though they were the standard service weapon used against the allies in both world Wars to exceptional effect.. They just couldn't quite beat the Lee Enfield.. Or the Springfield...
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 May 2016, 2:13 pm

Only $200? Lawrence Ordnance wants about $500 :huh:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 20 May 2016, 2:18 pm

The poor rep also comes from simply being an inferior 'battle' rifle. Mausers and Enfields and similar rifles were better 'battle' rifles , that is beyond doubt. In isolation, and in the calm surroundings of a range they shoot and handle just fine. If I was going to war, there are far better choices. If I'm killing the deadly paper target monster then it's as fun as anything with a trigger. I believe it is the loading and feeding inadequacies that really lets it down and sullied its reputation. But as you say, who buys vintage rifles for their tack driving ability?
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 20 May 2016, 2:35 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:The hate comes from..... and a natural bias against the arms of our enemies.
I do believe this fails to explain the Absolute devotion to all things 98 Mauser both the K98 and the commercial versions. Even though they were the standard service weapon used against the allies in both world Wars to exceptional effect.. They just couldn't quite beat the Lee Enfield.. Or the Springfield...

I think that is completely subjective. Mausers are arguably more accurate and have stronger actions, Enfields have a higher round capacity and arguably more reliable. Springfield's are arguably a Mauser rip off. Realistically its splitting hairs as all of them were deadly in their effectiveness.

It's like the most popular rifle in the world , the AK-47. Not noted for its accuracy or build quality. It does however work, all the time, in any conditions , even when poorly maintained. Simple to produce, simple to operate , very effective at its intended purpose of mid to close range combat. Plenty of rifles are "better" than an AK yet it reigns supreme as a battle rifle.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 20 May 2016, 3:04 pm

The whole "which WW2 battle rifle is best " argument is sort of like arguing which spice girl (in their prime) would be best to throw a leg over
(baby spice of course )
;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 20 May 2016, 4:02 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:The hate comes down to the poor reputation with incorrect ammo, the very ordinary quality of fitting on many of them and a natural bias against the arms of our enemies. Also for many years you simply couldn't get the clips for love nor money, so you had an average at best single shot, but in the last 8-10 years this has changed. As I said above, now we have the right projectile the Carcano can hold its own against the Enfields and Mausers. Would I use my FAT42 in comp regularly instead of my K31?, no, but at least once a year I do and score reasonably, Cheers.
PS: If you do buy one, give me a PM and I'll donate a clip to get you underway

That makes sense, thanks a heap No1Mk3 :D :D nice to know there's still great people around :)
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 20 May 2016, 4:09 pm

bentaz wrote:If your not gunna shoot it a whole heap you can buy cheapish ppu ammo to shoot.

Yeah that's what the LGS recommended :)
Supaduke wrote:Just buy it. As long as the rifle is in decent condition they are very decent. They are made of good quality steel and well constructed. As mentioned , most of the inaccuracy issues were caused by naive hand loaders using .264 (6.5mm) pills instead of .268. Rounds tended to 'rattle' down the spout and go anywhere. The Carcano certainly had some design quirks that once tested in battle proved inferior to other rifles. Reliance on clips and difficulty single round top loading were two aspects that proved a real shortfall in real world conditions. As a piece of history though it's just something that makes them unique and interesting.

True that!
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

The bad rep of the little Italian is possibly due to bullet issues, poor terminal performance or sizing issues. maybe ust dis-info, as its one of the very few rifles designs not used/stolen by the allies over the years...

The 91 or Model 91 (more correct name rather than Carcano or Mannlicher-Carcano) as the original chambering uses a 6.5/6.8mm barrel, compared to the 6.45/6.7 of most other 6.5s....hence a 'normal' 6.5 chambering bullet(of 6.7diameter) will partially engrave the rifling only 67% engagement (compared to the other popular undersized chamberings the 303Brit and 6.5x55 with 78% and 91% rifling engagement on undersized bullet-to-groove-diameter)

I have personally, wanted to pick one up for a while and have been waiting to find one in exceptional condition come up :thumbsup:
As far as accuracy goes.... who buy a an ex mil rifle, potentially 70 to 120+ yrs vintage.... to shoot 'flys' at 500m? or because they're cheap to feed....each is a piece of nostalgic history.

And the clips, theyre en-bloc chargers are they not, like a garand??

All good... buy it and shoot it :thumbsup:

Yeah I reackon they are En-bloc. :)
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 May 2016, 5:55 pm

G'day MalleFarmer,
I would contend that the Mauser thing is relatively recent. When I started I could get a full wood 303 for $22, $26 for sporterized, or an original K98k for $14.50. I am the only one of my "crowd" who bought a Mauser, and I swapped it for a Webley air pistol due to no one being interested in regularly having 8mm ammo. I also caught a bit of flak over having a "kraut" gun that was used used against us, so in that much a bias did exist, just as my fathers generation castigated us for looking at Japanese motorbikes (I never owned one until 1985). They were, and still are, very rare on the hunting scene, by which I mean 8x57IS caliber not K98 of course. I wholeheartedly agree that they are an inferior design, with less QA in their build and it is no wonder that the Finns issued with them during the Winter War managed to "lose" most of them, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 17 Jun 2016, 1:36 pm

Supaduke wrote:The whole "which WW2 battle rifle is best " argument is sort of like arguing which spice girl (in their prime) would be best to throw a leg over
(baby spice of course )
;)

Menage-a-six?
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Jun 2016, 1:43 pm

Korkt wrote:
Supaduke wrote:The whole "which WW2 battle rifle is best " argument is sort of like arguing which spice girl (in their prime) would be best to throw a leg over
(baby spice of course )
;)

Menage-a-six?

Were there 5?? I just remember there was ginger spice... and chocolate spice..... :unknown: :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Centerfire rifles