Potential next gun: Carcano Calvary Carbine

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Potential next gun: Carcano Calvary Carbine

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 May 2016, 5:55 pm

G'day MalleFarmer,
I would contend that the Mauser thing is relatively recent. When I started I could get a full wood 303 for $22, $26 for sporterized, or an original K98k for $14.50. I am the only one of my "crowd" who bought a Mauser, and I swapped it for a Webley air pistol due to no one being interested in regularly having 8mm ammo. I also caught a bit of flak over having a "kraut" gun that was used used against us, so in that much a bias did exist, just as my fathers generation castigated us for looking at Japanese motorbikes (I never owned one until 1985). They were, and still are, very rare on the hunting scene, by which I mean 8x57IS caliber not K98 of course. I wholeheartedly agree that they are an inferior design, with less QA in their build and it is no wonder that the Finns issued with them during the Winter War managed to "lose" most of them, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 17 Jun 2016, 1:36 pm

Supaduke wrote:The whole "which WW2 battle rifle is best " argument is sort of like arguing which spice girl (in their prime) would be best to throw a leg over
(baby spice of course )
;)

Menage-a-six?
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Jun 2016, 1:43 pm

Korkt wrote:
Supaduke wrote:The whole "which WW2 battle rifle is best " argument is sort of like arguing which spice girl (in their prime) would be best to throw a leg over
(baby spice of course )
;)

Menage-a-six?

Were there 5?? I just remember there was ginger spice... and chocolate spice..... :unknown: :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Centerfire rifles