Why you need a humidity trap/dehumidifier in your safe...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Why you need a humidity trap/dehumidifier in your safe...

Post by AnotherMisfire » 22 May 2016, 1:41 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 5965 times
Welcome to Queensland folks...

This is three weeks in a safe. Indoors and in a relatively new house.
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: Why you need a humidity trap/dehumidifier in your safe..

Post by sandgroperbill » 22 May 2016, 10:25 am

yup. Its the same here. I use the damp rid traps and also insert small silica bags (like you find in new shoes) in each pack or container of ammo
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 22 May 2016, 11:42 am

Just put some sort of heating element in your safe, much better than those things that I reckon draw water into a safe and the other thing is don't let one of those spill in your safe, you won't be happy if it does especially if you put your barrels facing down!!

I just run a Reptile heater in mine, seems to keep things happy and I also run a seal around my door too to help keep any moisture out. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 22 May 2016, 11:47 am

What BFS said. Don't EVER spill that corrosive crap in your safe, you'll have no end of issues. Believe me I know. I've had one barrel shortened because it was pitted after being stored barrel down and looking at another now.

I ended up replacing the safe and fitted a gold rod heater my gunshop was nice enough to throw in with the new safe

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by AnotherMisfire » 22 May 2016, 7:54 pm

No concerns that the heat from a reptile heater might warp anything or be a fire hazard (safe is carpeted)?

Having never had reptiles I'm not sure how warm they are haha.
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by bigfellascott » 22 May 2016, 8:07 pm

No mate they only get warm not hot as such just warms the air in the safe.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 22 May 2016, 9:20 pm

Yep bought a safe dehumidifier off eBay a few days ago because my barrels were starting to show some rust, it's just so dam cold here the air must freeze and heat up during the day and condense.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 22 May 2016, 11:42 pm

Crikey,,,, :shock:
What sort of houses do you guys live in ?

Where I am, I have never put anything like crystals, dehumidifiers etc in my safe, and have never had any issues with dampness.
Summer or Winter.

The house has concrete floors with carpet and tiles.
The walls are cavity brick.
The roof is galv iron over all steel trusses, and is well stocked with insulation.
All doors are left open with just the screen doors closed from sunup till sunset during our winter (which is our dry season).

And,,,,,,,,,,,,,, as I said, no dampness issues whatsoever.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 23 May 2016, 7:18 am

Just use a good corrosion inhibitor, like Lanox ... unless you live in a submarine, or god forbid - in cane toad country !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 23 May 2016, 7:30 am

I live in Sydney near a beach on a hill and every day my car is covered in this salty crust.

The garage is a damp mouldy place where items go to die and unfortunately that is where my safes are.

I use the silicon gel packs in the safe and swap them out regularly.

I also religiously take out every firearms and re oil them on a monthly basis..

As like most of you I have a rifles that get used once or twice a year so I have to ensure that there is a good barrier on them.

Even my Crosman 1077 air rifle gets a lube job every month!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 23 May 2016, 8:55 am

is this the goldenrod heater you talk about? looks like it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golden-Rod-24-i ... 1397345208

interesting, so i need to drill a hole in my safe to power it? not sure i want to do that, but i'm keen to get rid of the damp bucket thing. ive dropped it once on the floor of the safe. very hard to soak that stuff back up!
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AnotherMisfire » 24 May 2016, 6:20 pm

One word to sum up this thread...

"Moist..."
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by snag » 24 May 2016, 10:20 pm

I buy similar moisture traps from the local discount shop for $2 each and have found them to be perfectly adequate as long as you check them regularly. Depending on the humidity you're experiencing, they can last from 3 weeks to 2 months and keep my guns rust free. I have discovered, however, that different gun safes attract different amounts of moisture. My brand-name 12 gun safe seems to fill its collector in half the time that my two home-made heavy steel safes do. Interestingly, the guns and bits that I store in a big old solid timber cupboard (properly locked and secured as per Qld regs) never rust but mould grows on the woodwork. Never been convinced about heating rods..... worried about a "baine marie" effect if moisture does get in.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by WayneO » 24 May 2016, 10:20 pm

news paper crumpled up in the bottom of the safe and a proper rubber seal on the door. No more mess and no fuss.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 24 May 2016, 11:50 pm

petemacsydney wrote:is this the goldenrod heater you talk about? looks like it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golden-Rod-24-i ... 1397345208

interesting, so i need to drill a hole in my safe to power it? not sure i want to do that, but i'm keen to get rid of the damp bucket thing. ive dropped it once on the floor of the safe. very hard to soak that stuff back up!

Or http://www.dampsolutions.com.au/store/d ... pp-chasers
Before you drill a whole in the side of the safe. Take the rod down to your local elect wholesalers and get a compression gland to suit to size of the cable. Then drill hole to suit put gland in and tighten the lock nut, you will also need to remove the plug so you can get the cable through the gland. Once the cable is through and everthing is in position tighten the compression nut this will squeeze the rubber down on the cable thus sealing also will stop the cable rubbing on the steel, lastly fit the plug.
Or call your local volts and jolts to fit it in.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by dugachelli » 27 May 2016, 8:51 pm

I have 2 gun safes and I have installed 2 x 240vac lamps connected in series in each of them, so they glow softly and they are located at the bottom and at the back of the safes and they keep the air dry. The rifles are stored but down and barrel up as normal, they are fitted with scopes and I have had no issues. I have been doing this for over 40 years now and it works for me.
The inside cabinet has 2 x 15 watt lamps and the other cabinet has 2 x 40 watt lamps......remember they are connected in series so the lamps are at roughly half power and last forever.
Of course you run and earth wire to the cabinet wall and the house system should be protected with a RCD for your safety.
dugachelli
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 02 Jun 2016, 12:26 pm

Aha the joys of living well inland down south (3h from the nearest ocean) no salt in the air and very rarely excessively humid having said that I did have an issue with rust on firearms when they were stored in a tin partially open shed. Which is why I moved my safe into a brick enclosed building and put 1kg of those silica crystals in the safe.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 05 Jul 2016, 2:45 pm

Die Judicii wrote:What sort of houses do you guys live in ?

It's tough keeping an igloo dry in that hot climate :mrgreen:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by stockliman » 05 Jul 2016, 3:51 pm

Where is everyone? It would be interesting to see what local climates do. I only have 50% humidity at the moment which is pretty standard for year round. Temperature outside fluctuates greatly (snowing at the moment ) but inside is with 4 degrees year round where my guns are stored.
stockliman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by stockliman » 05 Jul 2016, 3:55 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Aha the joys of living well inland down south (3h from the nearest ocean) no salt in the air and very rarely excessively humid having said that I did have an issue with rust on firearms when they were stored in a tin partially open shed. Which is why I moved my safe into a brick enclosed building and put 1kg of those silica crystals in the safe.

Interesting
You'd be similar to me then,guessing i have altitude on my side. The crystals are my choice.
My walls are a Styrofoam box.
stockliman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles