Opinions wanted (Verney Carron)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Opinions wanted (Verney Carron)

Post by Die Judicii » 23 May 2016, 7:40 pm

Anyone got any info on Verney Carron brand ?

If it were to be on a comparison basis,, what brands could it be assimilated to ?
:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Opinions wanted (Verney Carron)

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 23 May 2016, 7:47 pm

My opinion ...

The brand is WAY behind the times, re: styling.

Butt F**king ugly !

Something akin to a Merkel.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 23 May 2016, 7:59 pm

For the same price, there is so much better out there, the closest to them I would say would be HEYM or Krieghoff, but both of them leave the V.C trailing in their dust.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blu333 » 23 May 2016, 8:24 pm

Has anyone checked out there "speedline" rifles thats a bit of a game changer.
12G Pardus LAX12 Marine 20"
12G Adler A110
12G Winchester 101 O/U
.308 Rem 7600P - Leupold Vx1 3-9x40mm
.308 Rem 700 VSFII - Nightforce 8-32x56mm
.223 Tikka Super Varmint - Leupold VX2 6-18x40mm
.22LR CZ 455 Bushnell 4-12
.22 Winchester Air Rifle
Blu333
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 May 2016, 5:04 am

G'day Die Judicii,
Verney Carron have been making guns since 1820, and cover the full gamut from standard hunting rifles and shotguns through to arms that compete directly with Holland and Holland and Purdey. They can be quite avant garde with their styling, such as the elevated bridge, but they are French, the people who designed the Lebel, MAS36, and Citroen, so innovative looks should be expected on some of their range. All the ones I've handled have been well made and "fit for purpose". A friend has one in 30-06 and wouldn't part with it for quids, whilst I wouldn't have it for quids because I don't like the design. So there you have it, great quality, fairly priced for what it is, but would you spend your time in the Louvre or the Guggenheim? Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Berper » 24 May 2016, 11:40 am

Blu333 wrote:Has anyone checked out there "speedline" rifles thats a bit of a game changer.

They're definitely interesting.

Like open-sight game rifle meets tacti-cool accessory pile up :lol:

Joking though, they do seem to make it work.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 24 May 2016, 7:59 pm

Thanks Guys,
Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to buy one.
Just needed comparisons,,,,, for a friend that was considering a swap type deal.
Cheers all.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stubbles McBeard » 26 May 2016, 9:19 pm

VC Speedline has been re classed to cat D in Victoria earlier this month.
Stubbles McBeard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 May 2016, 9:08 am

WayneO wrote:For the same price, there is so much better out there, the closest to them I would say would be HEYM or Krieghoff, but both of them leave the V.C trailing in their dust.

These guys have been in the business for centuries... and they have a good range of different types of firearms, actions finished, their doubles look like they'd compete with Holland??
When you say better what do you mean wayneO, have you owned/used examples? I personally have not....

Thats a very attractively finished double, I'd lug it around the Vic forest :P anyone know the sticker$$?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 May 2016, 9:33 am

Stubbles McBeard wrote:VC Speedline has been re classed to cat D in Victoria earlier this month.

We're so lucky our safety is being assured by the Victorian police commissioner... saving us from ourselves again

This is the dangerous gun weapon we cant have from 2 weeks ago, its a manually loaded gas-ejecting rifle. It has a lever that you depress to allow the bolt to return from the open position to LOAD the next round...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCcQf71DcJg

So, our esteemed police, who brought to us such pearls of wisdom such as the infamous Savage-gate episode, describing a bolt action as "some kind of automatic... but not a machine gun";

Have thoroughly considered their own definition of semi-automatic, not doubt the Commissioner took the advice of the above Ast.Commish Steven 'Hanna' Fontana;
semi-automatic when used to describe a rifle or shotgun, means a rifle or shotgun which is constructed or has been, at any time, constructed so that—
(a) each bullet or missile is discharged by a separate application of pressure to the trigger; and
(b) the energy of the discharge is used as part of the reloading cycle of the rifle or shotgun (as the case may be);

and temporarily re-categorised this as a cat D.

What can be recategorised as cat D? For a temporary recat; ANY firearm. Its up to the police... isnt that just dandy. For a permanent recat however there is this little sticking point;

if t
he Chief Commissioner is satisfied that the firearm or type of firearm subject to the declaration is designed or adapted for military purposes, or substantially duplicates a firearm of that type in design, function or appearance.

Maybe theyre not confident to declare the military design, purpose etc....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by southwest shooter » 27 May 2016, 10:32 am

Not my cup of tea , I'm a howa man.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 27 May 2016, 11:37 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Thats a very attractively finished double, I'd lug it around the Vic forest :P anyone know the sticker$$?

Left arm.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Utcherd » 15 Jun 2016, 3:48 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:So, our esteemed police, who brought to us such pearls of wisdom such as the infamous Savage-gate episode, describing a bolt action as "some kind of automatic... but not a machine gun";

Must be the non-automatic kind of automatic :lol:
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles