.44 mag

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

.44 mag

Post by BadboyMelvin » 25 May 2016, 8:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm soon to be the proud owner of a well used Rossi '92 .44 magnum and in a couple of weeks I'll be going to Tassie on a deer hunt and this will be the rifle that will accompanying me.
I've never owned a .44 before and it's also been a while since I've hunted with open sights so this will be a unique hunt for me. If I don't feel comfortable enough using it on game or if the terrain isn't suitable, I'll borrow one of the boy's rifles — but it is my intention to get venison with it.
Compared to the scoped .308 that I traded for it, it's a short range affair, but provided I'm comfortable using it and it's accurate enough, I'll take a shot as long as it's 80m or under.
So my question is who here has used the .44 mag on deer and other big game?
How did it perform?
Were you happy with it's performance?
I'm planning on using the 44 Mag 225 gr FTX® LEVERevolution® ammo. It's performance looks ok for close range hunting;

Rifle (20" Barrel) Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
MUZZLE 50 100
1870/1747 1629/1325 1416/1002

Has anyone used this ammo before?

As always guys, I appreciate all your responses.

Cheers,

Russ. :thumbsup:
BadboyMelvin
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: .44 mag

Post by WayneO » 25 May 2016, 11:29 pm

I used to have a Marlin lever action in 44 and it was topped with a very nice Lynx 3-9 x 38 scope. My preferred round in that rifle was a Hornady 240 grain xtp that used to do 1720fps. It was deadly accurate out to 150m and I used it with great effect on Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Hartebeest and a few dozen warthogs. A broad side shot at under 100m on any B.W.B resulted in a clean through and through shot every time, and I believe I took 11 B.W.B with her of which 7 were broad side on.
My longest shot i ever took with that rifle on an animal was on a porcupine in a pineapple field and that was 196m, and I did not need to take a second shot. I still do not know what on earth possessed me to sell it.
Enjoy your new toy and learn how to make her talk. I can assure you that you will have many happy hunts together.
Oh and look at getting some glass, iron sights just dont cut it.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 26 May 2016, 1:40 am

nice light gun fun to hunt with will work good i am of the mind that its more about getting out to hunt and haveing a good safe time
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 May 2016, 4:08 am

G'day BadboyMelvin,
Had a Ruger 44Mag semi auto, mainly for pigs, but also shot a few deer with it out to 100 yds with 300g Sp. Knocked them well, but for me that would be max range with the little Ruger. Remember that deer are commonly shot with handguns in the US using 240g and up at ranges from 50 to 100yds and more. Have never used the new Hornady projectile but it gets some rave reviews and hope you give us some feedback of your own, Happy Hunting!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by BadboyMelvin » 26 May 2016, 11:07 am

Thanks for all the replies guys. Reading them has given me renewed faith in the little rifle.

WayneO, will be putting some glass on it but unfortunately just won't have time to do it before this trip.

Will definitely keep you guys posted on how the hunt/ rifle/ ammo goes
BadboyMelvin
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 27 May 2016, 4:48 pm

That's a very interesting choice of caliber for our does here (current season is only open to Antlerless, plus 60 or so bucks for the license + tags needed).

What part of the state you planning on going to?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles