Pump Action AR15

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Pump Action AR15

Post by DrDerpy » 05 Jun 2016, 2:45 am

Hi all

I know this has been covered off before here - but I thought it was worth revisiting.
I know a lot of people are fans of pump action and I know I really liked the look of the Troy Defense pump action Ar15's.
Obviously the folding stock is not going to happen in NSW, but for all other intensive purposes it is a Cat B rifle.
General enquiry tells me that it isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Out of interest more than anything, why has this gun been veto'd?
Looking at the facts it:
1) Is a pump action not unlike a Remington 7600
2) Falls into current Cat B framework
3) Requires a manual method of actuation to eject a spent round
4) Requires a manual method of actuation to chamber another live round
5) Will not respond to modification, and does not have the necessary recesses within the gun, to create a semi automatic weapon (obviously one could undertake metal gouging and machining etc, but if someone had the talent to do this they would have amde their fully automatic weapon from scratch)
6) The energy of the gun is in no way harnessed to chamber another round
7) Aesthetically it is generally no more scary than a Remington 7600 - in fact side by side the two bear a striking resemblance to each other at times
8) Runs pretty much the same calibers as a Remington 7600 - particularly true now that some Remington 7600's have been altered to take 338 Federal

Apart from being "black and scary" I cannot fathom why this has been banned apart from the usual "because we said so" presented by many facets of the government and associated bodies.
Speaking to Troy Defense (midnight here was about 10:30am there from memory - I am a night owl) on the phone some time ago they said whilst it has some parts in common with other AR variants they also stated that internally there is no workable method to alter the mechanism of fire (cannot be made into a semi auto or similar).
To Troy's credit on the phone they said they were "looking into trying to get it to Australia" one has to think that we aren't a big enough market to expend too much time on.

If one were to want to protest the banned status of this weapon how does one go about it?
Personally I am all good for the moment, a gent said to me the other day "just go get an MDT chassis and put a 300 Win mag in it, will kind of look like a bolt action AR, probably be more reliable and shoot better as well" so i took that advice as I don't think this is going anywhere fast.
Still I would buy a pump action AR15 if they were allowed here, who do we write to (I imagine multiple bodies have a stake here) to contest this ruling?
DrDerpy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Pump Action AR15

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 05 Jun 2016, 8:43 am

Big black and scary, that is literally the only reason, there is no other excuse. If it had abit of wood on it and a "sportier" stock it would probably get it.

Don't worry give it a couple more years and all the Fudds will dead and then we can actually get some s**t done.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Pump Action AR15

Post by DrDerpy » 05 Jun 2016, 12:55 pm

I think the Fudd's breed though dude.
A new generation of Fudd's that are hurt by words might be ready to carry the torch.
We have only one option - a Zap Branigan like plan of pro gun studs scoring around the clock to create a voting majority.
Unfortunately that is the best plan I have thus far........it's also the only plan I have thus far.........it's also inherently flawed and kind of crap.
DrDerpy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles