Difficult Brno Bolt

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Difficult Brno Bolt

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jun 2016, 11:07 pm

Anyone out there own a Brno 453 in .17 HMR ?

The one I've got is a right mongrel to get the bolt out of.
I'm wondering if anyone else concurs with this, or is mine just a mongrel.
:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Difficult Brno Bolt

Post by valkyrie » 12 Jun 2016, 9:56 am

Try pushing the trigger forward to remove the bolt rather than pulling it back mate. Have an old model 1 22 and i had the same issue till i worked out that the trigger goes the other way for dissassembly
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jun 2016, 11:05 am

Thanks for the suggestion,,,,,,, but that doesn't work on mine. (Does yours have a set trigger,, mine does)

I know it does come out by holding the trigger back like a lot of B/As, but it seems like only when you have a particular position.
Even then, if your a few thou off that spot, it won't release.

It's a rifle that only gets used on rare occasions, but this time I've been trying off and on for several days to get it out without success.

I'm almost at the stage of selling the little bugger. :shock:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by valkyrie » 12 Jun 2016, 1:11 pm

No mine still has the original trigger. Is yours an aftermarket set trigger or a factory one?
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 12 Jun 2016, 2:39 pm

Silly question mag is out ?
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 12 Jun 2016, 4:57 pm

Is there such a thing as a Brno Model 453..? I thought they were a CZ ZKM 453, the set trigger version of a CZ ZKM 452 and should work the same way to remove the bolt. Have the bolt somewhere in the middle of it's travel, hold the trigger back and the bolt should release backwards the same as any actual Brno say Model 2 / 2E etc. On those if the bolt is as far rearwards as it will go it won't work but forward slightly should work every time unless there is a fault with the firearm.

They may be called a CZ-Brno but they aren't a Brno as us old fellows used to know. CZ being the new modern day factory. Anyway, it doesn't matter one bit as they aren't the same quality they used to be. Had a CZ 452 .17HMR for awhile, fixed the trigger but got sick of the dud ammo that got rather expensive. My CZ 527 .22 Hornet is more accurate and cheap to feed.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 12 Jun 2016, 7:13 pm

Having seen this before..... Take it to a LGS or gunsmith.....and get the chamber (head space) checked......mine was just like yours till the go no go gauge sorted out the problem....and a chamber polish rectified the drama....it's not a biggy.... just a pain in the ....lol.... The rifle itself is a good thing, but every once and a while the factory does get carried away with tolerances

Good luck

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Jun 2016, 1:15 am

Pain in the ,,,,,,,,,,, is an understatement.
Thanks one and all for all suggestions.
Obviously I mis labelled it,, It is in fact a CZ 453 made in "Czech Republic"

I thought wrongly, Same animal - Different colour.

Never the less, its a pain.
I tried all suggestions to no avail.

Its frustrating because the scope is so close to the rearward position of the bolt, you think that is the problem, but it actually misses by half a c*nt hair.
I did manage to get it out tonite by holding the trigger, and then when the bolt is half way out, wriggling the safety end of it in small circles.

Same method to get it back in.
Surely that's not right, it should slide out without wriggling it

I'm thinking a trip to the "Smith" is in order.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 13 Jun 2016, 9:02 am

Česká zbrojovka, made in Brno, Czech Republic.
Hence, CZ 'Bruno'.

I had a girlfriend from this Czech town and i can tell you they don't appreciate it when it is pronounced (or spelled) "Bruno".
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 13 Jun 2016, 10:30 am

I had a CZ452 Varmint in 17HMR from new. The bolt was tight from new but wore in nicely after a lot of shooting, although I never had any problems removing/refitting the bolt.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 13 Jun 2016, 10:36 am

Oh yeah, something I did notice is when I would depress the trigger to release the bolt I had to make sure the trigger was depressed completely for the bolt to clear the sear, otherwise the bolt would be difficult to release. You kind of had to be precese when removing/refitting the bolt becasue of the tight tolerances.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Jun 2016, 7:58 pm

Thanks HH
Sounds familiar, but I think next time I get a chance, I'll drop it off at the gunsmiths.
He's just on 100 klms away, in a direction that I don't go,,,, unless I have to see him.
So it'll be a special trip, that can wait a while.
Meanwhile I'll just use something else. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Zilla » 14 Jun 2016, 10:48 am

Gwion wrote:I had a girlfriend from this Czech town and i can tell you they don't appreciate it when it is pronounced (or spelled) "Bruno".

Well they should put vowels in the middle of their words so saying them isn't like gargling a golf ball :lol:
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 14 Jun 2016, 10:54 am

hehe... Totally!
Gwion
Colonel