Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Post by Mongrel » 18 Jun 2016, 11:27 pm

Gday all, new to sport and never owned a gun before. Ive lurked around quite a few forums and read so much stuff on guns, scopes, accessories and reloading. Not all has sunk in but it will in time.

My licence just came through in the mail and my PTA has been approved by email (just waiting for snail mail so i can use it).
Im looking at getting a 308 and im currently looking at the Marlin XS7 bolt action 308 super package with a sabre 6x40 scope.
So im just wondering if thats a half decent gun and scope or should i look at something diferant?
This deal is $529 new, i can prolly go a little higher, but need to keep it down as much as possible.

Thanks for your time :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: New member

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jun 2016, 9:52 am

I returned a rifle last Friday for repair because it would not fire. The salesman asked what the brand was and on hearing the name he replied, "It's a cheap gun". I don't mind telling you that his attitude deflated me somewhat.

This is a true story but it is not meant to turn you off shooting. My rifle cost more than yours and that is without a scope but I will bet you are busting to go shooting with your own rifle. The trouble is, it is more complicated than that. For instance, even decent cleaning gear is expensive and have you been taught how to use it? It is possible that you might have to lower your expectations. For instance, I no longer buy scopes. You might have to shoot at closer range. I do.

Sorry mate. It is a dear sport, not made easier by the bewildering variety of choices or the reliability/unreliability of what is on offer. Look up marlinowners.com/forum for a heading specific to your model to find out nearly everything about Marlins and Good Luck :) :thumbsup: and don't be deterred.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2016, 11:39 am

:welcome: Mongeral & Pete,
About the Marlin,
I have 2, a 223 and 3006. I reload and found they both shoot about .7 moa with mildish loads. Accurate enough for most hunting. The only issue I have had was the magazine for the 223 was binding and I fixed it myself. They are a basic rifle that gets the job done. If weight is an issue they are also on the lighter side.
I think for the price they are great and I like the triggers too. Light enough, easy to adjust and the extra safety too. Most of the cheaper models have s**t triggers.
That price is very good but I suspect the scope wil need replacing later. Cheap scopes are notorius for playing up.

If thats your price range I think they are a good choice, but have a look around there are others for under $600. 308 is a good allrounder too. If I had a need I would by a 3rd.
PS. Will the LGS sell without the scope and reduce the price? You can then buy a better scope. And what is the intended use?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 19 Jun 2016, 12:20 pm

Cheers Wm Traynor, i know there is alot to it, but i find best way to learn is hands on, well for me it is. My mate down in goldy had a handgun so im sure he can show me how to clean my gun properly. Also i have visited marlinowners forum a fair bit and from what ive read there a fairly decent out of the box gun.
And trust me i wont be deterred :)

Oldbloke wrote::welcome: Mongeral & Pete,
About the Marlin,
I have 2, a 223 and 3006. I reload and found they both shoot about .7 moa with mildish loads. Accurate enough for most hunting. The only issue I have had was the magazine for the 223 was binding and I fixed it myself. They are a basic rifle that gets the job done. If weight is an issue they are also on the lighter side.
I think for the price they are great and I like the triggers too. Light enough, easy to adjust and the extra safety too. Most of the cheaper models have s**t triggers.
That price is very good but I suspect the scope wil need replacing later. Cheap scopes are notorius for playing up.

If thats your price range I think they are a good choice, but have a look around there are others for under $600. 308 is a good allrounder too. If I had a need I would by a 3rd.
PS. Will the LGS sell without the scope and reduce the price? You can then buy a better scope. And what is the intended use?

Heya Oldbloke, good to hear your having next to no issues with yours. I know there a basic gun, but what can i expect for that money TBH.
The LGS are selling one without a scope for $449 without scope, which i was going to get and buy a better scope later, but because they dont have sights on them i didnt think i would be able to shoot?
Also intended use will be target shooting and some hunting. Not sure what i will be hunting as i havent found any property to shoot on as yet. But thats one of the reasons i chose 308 as its an all rounder.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 19 Jun 2016, 1:36 pm

Ok, just spent the morning searching and reading reviews again. Any thoughts on the WEATHERBY VANGUARD S2 BLUED SYNTHETIC? in 308 ofcourse.
There not something ive heard of but seem to get a really good review here and in USA.
I know the price is alot more than what i was looking at, but if its gonna be ALOT better gun then i may aswel go that path and beg for forgiveness when the boss sees the price lol.

TIA Mongrel
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jun 2016, 1:40 pm

Mongrel,
If you are on the Sunshine Coast, I could show you myself. Send me a pm if you like.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2016, 2:31 pm

"The LGS are selling one without a scope for $449 without scope"

That is an incredible price. A better option in my view. Yep, no open sights so a scope is a must. A decent scope will cost minimum $220 and goes up from there. Any $100 scope will be a waste of money these days.

Got a feeling the Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa action?? Can someone else confirm?

This being the case It will be heavier but should shoot a little better. That's why I got a Marlin. Carry them a lot and cheap for a light weight rifle.

General hunting doesn't require .3 moa accuracy. ( could start an argument there. :lol: )

If you plan to mainly target shoot probably should spend a lot more to get a nice target model. Will need reloading equipment too..
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 19 Jun 2016, 2:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"The LGS are selling one without a scope for $449 without scope"

That is an incredible price. A better option in my view. Yep, no open sights so a scope is a must. A decent scope will cost minimum $220 and goes up from there. Any $100 scope will be a waste of money these days.

Got a feeling the Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa action?? Can someone else confirm?

This being the case It will be heavier but should shoot a little better. That's why I got a Marlin. Carry them a lot and cheap for a light weight rifle.

General hunting doesn't require .3 moa accuracy. ( could start an argument there. :lol: )

If you plan to mainly target shoot probably should spend a lot more to get a nice target model. Will need reloading equipment too..

Cheers Oldbloke, From what ive read they are a howa action, is that a good or bad thing?
$449 is a really good price, but u get what u pay for these days thats why im ummming and arring about it.
With your marlins can u shoot 5-10 shots without barrel getting too hot or do u wait awhile between shots?
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 19 Jun 2016, 2:41 pm

Also Wm.Traynor ive tried pming u but the msg stays in my outbox not my sent box so im not sure if there going through or not?
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2016, 6:20 pm

Mongrel,
The pm message stays in the out box until the recipient opens it, strange but true.

All sporter barrels heat up after say 3 or 4 shots. Its just about physics. Thicker is better. :thumbsup: but heavier. :thumbsdown:
Re, Howas, all the owners seem to rave about them.
Perhaps look at savage, ruger, remington and a few others. They all produce cheaper models.
But IMO you cant go past Marlin x7 for value for money.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 19 Jun 2016, 6:58 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Mongrel,

But IMO you cant go past Marlin x7 for value for money.

Thats what i wanted to hear :)
Ive looked at the others and the entry lvl models dont get much of a good review. The marlins stand out in the lower end and then the weatherby stood out in the next lvl.
Good news is if i get the marlin i can prolly get some accessories for cleaning and maintaining it. im sure the LGS can sort me out what i need or someone here can shed some light so i dont buy the wrong stuff.

p.s. how long do u wait between 4 shot grps?

Thanks again
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 19 Jun 2016, 7:37 pm

I've got an XL7 in 30-06 and can't say a bad word about it. It fit within my budget at the time and had given me years of faultless service. My only gripe is the plastic trigger guard. Dearer rifles might be nicer to own but it'll do everything you want it to, I'd save your money and put towards a better scope and mounts.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

"how long do u wait between 4 shot grps"
I dont really time them as I only shoot groups when working up reloads. But a guess would be 5 minutes for a 4 shot group. Then let it cool for say 10 minutes.

Better to ask the target shooters here that one.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 19 Jun 2016, 8:30 pm

okay im going to sound like a wan*er here :oops: but ,why a 308? don't get me wrong, i have one and its my favorite but if you have never shot before you can develop a flinch as she kicks a bit. unless your going for buff a 223 ,243 will get the job done on everything else and you will have less chance of getting the flinches. i am assuming that you have never shot before so if im wrong :silent: anyway :welcome: and moa and a bit is easily good enough for hunting so don't fret over tiny groups,the critters don't care :allegedly: :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Mongrel » 19 Jun 2016, 9:42 pm

tom604 wrote:okay im going to sound like a wan*er here :oops: but ,why a 308? don't get me wrong, i have one and its my favorite but if you have never shot before you can develop a flinch as she kicks a bit. unless your going for buff a 223 ,243 will get the job done on everything else and you will have less chance of getting the flinches. i am assuming that you have never shot before so if im wrong :silent: anyway :welcome: and moa and a bit is easily good enough for hunting so don't fret over tiny groups,the critters don't care :allegedly: :lol: :lol:

Gday Tom, All opionins are welcome, you aint sounding like a wan*er :P
Not 100% sure why i chose 308, after some research, i found it to be a good all rounder calibre.
Ive only shot a 22 a few times and doing the safety course a 22 and 9mm pistol and a 22 and 38 rifle. plus i have already got my PTA appoved and i dont wanna wait for another lol

Thanks
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 19 Jun 2016, 10:13 pm

fair call,if your going to shoot bunnys just remember to aim for the top off their head, body shots with the 308 causes a little bit of bruising :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jun 2016, 10:31 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 20 Jun 2016, 3:56 am

Why the .308Win? Why the h*ll not? I own several rifles chambered for the 308 Winchester. D*mn fine round, very versatile, load down or buy lighter loads for small game or go heavy for the bigger stuff. I know people that have take more elk that I have ever seen, not that I've seen that many wapiti, and if you used a still others who've taken moose and bear, black bear, with it.

You after vermin/varmints? They'll be just as dead when the 308 is done with them as if a 223 or 22-250 and honestly if you shoot a coyote with a 243Win, it is as messed up as if you used a 308/30-06. Now if after pelts yeah the 308 will require head shots, but if you're out to lower the critter population they'll be just as dead with a 308, and no deader, as they would with any other round.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Jun 2016, 12:27 pm

G'day Mongrel
By all accounts the Marlin is a pretty good piece of kit and excellent value. The Weatherby mentioned is a Howa 1500. As for scopes, you'll need to spend at least as much on the scope as you do on the rifle to get anything that is going to have decent glass, good repeatable adjustment and reliability.
You haven't said what type of target shooting you are likely to be doing. For a decent "target" scope they start at around a grand.
I personally shoot metallic silhouette and all of my scoped rifles wear VX-111 Leupolds with 3/8 target dot reticles. These have very good repeatable adjustments which, as we shoot anywhere from 40 to 500m, are in constant use. As for use in the field they are useless. You can't see the cross-hair, it's too fine.
My hunting rifles all wear Khales.
I don't mean to put you off, I started shooting back in the 1980's. We all have a budget we have to work to. I started with Tasco's and Nikko's, probably like most blokes on here.
You have to start somewhere, good luck. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 20 Jun 2016, 8:37 pm

Thanks guys :)
When i say target shooting i dont mean in comps or anything like that, just setting up targets and having fun with mates. Gonna be more used for hunting i think.
My mate is getting a .22 for now, which will be our plinker.
Hopefully i can get a scope around the $200-$250 mark that will work with what i need.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Jun 2016, 10:07 am

Scopes are really maddening. There is Gamerancher who has worked his way up to Kahles and swears by them. But I would not give you two bob for one. That is my experience with one after having a very good run for years with one of their variables. In my ignorance, a Marlin Papoose was sold off because I blamed the rifle for the poor groups instead of the scope. Even after an Expensive trip back to the factory, it was still rubbish. This and other experiences, has put me off all scopes but good luck to anyone with a good one; they are great when they work.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Jun 2016, 10:42 am

Condemning a brand of scope due to one mans experience with one individual scope is a bit short sighted considering the number they have made. By the way , my hunting scopes are all "old school" fixed power, steel tubed jobs. Excellent clarity and stay sighted in despite a lot of miles being carried around the bush over the years.
All were purchased second hand and have never given any me trouble. I did however, purchase one of my Leupolds second hand and had to send it back to the U.S for repairs. Previous owner had wound the turrets to the extremities and then a bit more buggering up the adjustment mechanism. Leupold fixed it and sent it back no charge, that's back up service for you!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 21 Jun 2016, 8:14 pm

Thanks guys, Everyone will have favourites and personal opinions. Keep them coming its good to have feedback good and bad of all things.
My choice will mainly be from cost, but some from what i read here and on the google thing that seems to know everything lol.
Hope fully my PTA arrives this week as i got my email saying its approved last week.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by chrispy88 » 22 Jun 2016, 10:56 am

I don't have any experience with the Marlin but can vouch for the Howa 1500. It is indeed the same action as the Weatherby Vanguard S2. And the Weatherby comes with a sub-MOA accuracy guarantee so you can expect the same sort of accuracy from the Howa. The Howa is a heavy-ish action compared to some others.

Mine is a stainless varmint barrel in a Boyds stock but you can get a blued sporter barrel model in a hogue stock for about $500 new. With a lot of help from Apollo fine tuning loads mine has produced 0.25-0.3 MOA groups. Not bad for what Apollo calls a "cheap nasty clunky Howa with a horrible fat crosshaired hunting scope" :lol: Best not let BigFella see that! :lol:

IMO, buy either the Marlin or the Howa without a scope, whichever does it for you, and top it with a 3-9x40 Leupold VX1 for $330 odd or similar. For $800-900 you have a reliable accurate hunting rifle with a decent scope. You'll also be able to shoot gongs out to 300-500m with this for fun, but once you want to start chasing target shooting accuracy you'll realise you want to spend at least about 3x your current budget. Build this one now and enjoy while you develop your skills and good habits, and save for the next one. :thumbsup:
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bosbefok » 22 Jun 2016, 11:28 am

I have no experience with the XS7. If it were my choice I would go the wetherby/howa route as they seem to be a no frills solid rifle (don't have one of them either). I have a 308 and now wish I had a 30-06. But it does the job well. My first scope was a Tasco for $120. It lasted about 4 hunts and then I couldn't hit Sh!t for another 2 hunts (very frustrating). Now most of my rifles wear vx1s. Not had a problem since. In my opinion it's a waste to spend under $300 on a scope. Good luck mate.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 22 Jun 2016, 3:16 pm

I have always advocated saving on the rifle and spending on the scope. I have rifles back home that cost around $ 800.00 but have $600 and $ 1000 scopes.
most rifles will shoot better than most people will ever be able to shoot, but without decent glass you will never come close to your rifles ability.
The marlins are great rifles and will do what they need to do, but its never going to be as pinpoint as a Howa, and at the end of the day. Only accurate rifles are interesting.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 22 Jun 2016, 6:03 pm

Thanks Crispy, Bosbefok and Wayno.

looks like a couple more votes for howa/weatherby and marlin.... Decisions decisions lol

Crispy is this the one you mentioned?

howa.jpg
howa.jpg (705.81 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 23 Jun 2016, 2:17 pm

Cheers Sako :)

Seems you lean more towards marlin as the pros list is longer.
I got to meet up with Wm.Traynor today and he shared some very useful knowledge for me about cleaning and looking after the rifle.
So thanks gaain Bill. Was great to put a face to the name. And its even better to know that there is people out there will to share knowledge
So after having a chat i think im leaning more towards a howa 1500, like the pic in my last post.

Will Keep you guys informed as soon as my PTA arrives....waiting waiting waiting :/
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 23 Jun 2016, 3:57 pm

Well looks like the mailman loved me today as my P T A arrived...WOOHOOO :)
So guess what im doing tomorow.... Im gonna get the howa i posted previously, was gonna get one with a boyd laminate stock but cleaning gear is important so the hogue stock will have to do(gotta look after it).

excited almost new gun owner :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by WayneO » 23 Jun 2016, 4:38 pm

That's brilliant news Mongrel
I am sure you are going to love it. One thing to check on the Howa, and its nothing to be overly concerned about because its an easy fix. Remove the stock and put some shoe polish on the stock where the barrel runs. Then put it back together without the screws. Carefully take it apart again and identify where the stock was coming into contact with the barrel. Mark these points on the stock and then either sand them down or use a dremel to clean it up. After that has been done, you should have no trouble printing key holes on the target.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles