Howa

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Howa

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Jun 2016, 12:49 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:I've got two HOWA rifles and I love em, with all my rifles I just clean the barrel out before I shoot it and then after that ... Never again . Doesn't seem to hurt them and all my rifles shoot under 1 MOA

:shock: never??? My god Man... I cleaned a rifle for a mate that had never had the bore cleaned out and it was pitted and rough as guts. It was a Howa only shot 2-2.5moa when I re sighted it for him.. :thumbsdown: hey if it works for you that's great but if I spend $1000+ on a rifle I want it to shoot for as long a possible.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by POD89 » 27 Jun 2016, 3:08 pm

Howa's are great.
i just picked up a .223 recently and i love it.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Jun 2016, 3:15 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:I've got two HOWA rifles and I love em, with all my rifles I just clean the barrel out before I shoot it and then after that ... Never again . Doesn't seem to hurt them and all my rifles shoot under 1 MOA

Owing to youthful ignorance, my first centrefire was never cleaned properly and its barrel pitted extensively.

"Cleanliness is next to Godlinees", they used to say. It harks back to the days when priming compound was mercuric, a chemical that seems to have been highly injurious to rifle bores. It was before my time but carbon, the burned stuff left in the bore, appears to "hold" moisture against the bore to produce rust pits.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 27 Jun 2016, 6:43 pm

Wow, your one lucky man i think.
Im gonna be cleaning mine after every use and i will be running in the barrel.

But I was told today from a guy at work that i cant go to rifle range to run my barrel in cause i dont have any sights (glass or iron)
Gonna have to ring them coz that sux if its true :(
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Jun 2016, 7:12 pm

Mongrel, I have shot at Belmont without sights, simply by sighting down the barrel at an area between target posts. You could ask the Yandina office bearers if that is acceptable by phoning one day before the Wednesday afternoon session.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 27 Jun 2016, 7:30 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Mongrel, I have shot at Belmont without sights, simply by sighting down the barrel at an area between target posts. You could ask the Yandina office bearers if that is acceptable by phoning one day before the Wednesday afternoon session.

Cheers WM. Thats what i will be doing but for the sunday session as i cant make it there on wednesdays.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 28 Jun 2016, 11:19 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:

:shock: never??? My god Man... I cleaned a rifle for a mate that had never had the bore cleaned out and it was pitted and rough as guts. It was a Howa only shot 2-2.5moa when I re sighted it for him.. :thumbsdown: hey if it works for you that's great but if I spend $1000+ on a rifle I want it to shoot for as long a possible.

Well when I say never what I mean is I never use any solvents, once a month I run a few patches of Eezox through to avoid any rust, I also apply Eezox to the outside and bolt of the rifles and I've never had any problems with rust
Mongrel wrote:

Wow, your one lucky man i think.
Im gonna be cleaning mine after every use and i will be running in the barrel.

But I was told today from a guy at work that i cant go to rifle range to run my barrel in cause i dont have any sights (glass or iron)
Gonna have to ring them coz that sux if its true :(

Yeah nah whatever floats your boat, can't hurt to be careful :D

Man that's a bummer about needing sights to go :cry:
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal