Disheartened New Shooter

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Disheartened New Shooter

Post by Garth » 24 Aug 2016, 9:25 pm

Hate rude pricks take busdiness to some one else sorry you got that teeatment .most of us have some time or another .ask around are a lotof good people who will help ask question thats how i learnt dont be shy good luck mate
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by scaredyet » 06 Sep 2016, 1:58 pm

So yesterday I picked up my CZ 452 and I also picked up a Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 with Adjustable Objective with some medium Leupold rings to go with it. I know the scope is overkill for the .22 but I want to get a .308 down the track and thought I can use it with that as well.

Should I buy a specific scope for the .22 or is this one ok. Also how's this scope for the bigger rifle is this enough for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gthfbvheahmms ... 5.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikod93d98kt8p ... 3.jpg?dl=0
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Sep 2016, 2:06 pm

Mate you have an excellent outfit there. Lifetime of use. I have a Leupold set up on a P94S Sako that I shoot metallic silhouette with and it still holds the same settings for the different distances after about 10,000 rounds.
As for the question of another rifle, you will need another scope or a lot of ammo to sight in every time you change over. Just buy quality again when the time comes. :thumbsup:
As for .22 ammo for the CZ, depends what you want to shoot with it. High velocity for hunting, standard for target shooting, real cheap stuff if it's for just plinking. :D
Buy a box of each of the ones you think might suit you and try them out, see which ones it likes. In my experience you have to run a few through the barrel when you change brands, "season" the bore to the different lube. Running one group of brand X followed by a group of Brand Y will not give true indications of what each is like.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 06 Sep 2016, 4:26 pm

So is the scope I have on too much for the .22 can I use this on a bigger rifle. I want a Tikka t3x .308 down the line. What is a good scope to buy for this one
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Sep 2016, 5:53 pm

Short answer - NO. Not too much for a .22. Yes - would suit a .308.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Medic » 06 Sep 2016, 6:54 pm

Its funny how more gunstores don't have a really easy to follow, step by step process printed out, with appropriate links and tick boxes. That way, with everything ticked, they just have to follow a list. Easy peazy. I have a wonderful local gunshop that look after me brilliantly in Keperra.
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 08 Sep 2016, 1:21 pm

scaredyet wrote:Should I buy a specific scope for the .22 or is this one ok.

For a brand new rifle, having that level of zoom is a good thing - it'll allow you to properly test the accuracy of different ammunition types without wondering whether any inaccuracy was in fact coming for you. I feel generally people over-estimate their shooting ability (off a benchrest). Even with a front-and-rear bag, it's pretty tricky to consistently shoot 10.5+ at 50m; a high-powered scope will help mitigate this problem (and help you realise a rifle's+ammo's intrinsic potential).

A good zoom on an accurate rifle (such as the 452) will also allow you to confidently take head-shots on varmint out to 100yds (so long as your holdover or adjustment is calculated correct).

Most of the time, especially shooting off hand, you'll probably run it at 4.5x - you're actually better off not knowing how much your wobbling about. You just need to practice the lazy eight and trigger control so you can consistently time your shots right.

I have a 4-12x BDC reticle on my 22, and I feel this is a really versatile setup. All offhand shots are taken at 4x (where each dot represents around 4moa; so I know where to hold for each 25yd increment). If I have the luxury of static-shooting, I increase the zoom and adjust my scope so it's zeroed.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2016, 3:04 pm

in2anity wrote:Even with a front-and-rear bag, it's pretty tricky to consistently shoot 10.5+ at 50m;

For those of us that don't shoot at official targets, what does "shooting 10.5+" mean in minutes or millimeters?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 08 Sep 2016, 3:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:Even with a front-and-rear bag, it's pretty tricky to consistently shoot 10.5+ at 50m;

For those of us that don't shoot at official targets, what does "shooting 10.5+" mean in minutes or millimeters?

About a 16mm group @ 50m
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Oct 2016, 9:01 pm

scaredyet wrote:I have a budget of $1600-$2000 for first gun(s) and scope. A fellow member pointed out to me that 200 acres may not be big enough and I do agree to an extent as the property has neighbors who only visit during holidays etc.

Is there a law for when you can go out shooting on your own land say for example I want to go out at 2am. I got a caravan on site and was sleeping one night and at 3am was hearing gun shots and it honestly scared the s**t out of me because I didn't know which direction it was coming from and didn't want to take a hit.

Well that's easy as regards your neighbors.
If they are only about on weekends etc, after getting to know them maybe in exchange for keeping an eye on the general comings and goings of the area (like neighborhood watch) maybe they'd let you shoot on their properties as well.

Win Win situation.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 22 Oct 2016, 11:01 am

I initially ran into some similar situations as OP but quickly realized, screw em, I want to get into firearms and no one is stopping me from doing so, so I didn't care If I was annoying my LGS or the guys at the shooting range, I kept asking questions lol, until they realized I determined and then somehow it's like they figured they might as well oblige seeing as it looked like I was there to stay lol and it's kinda like they let me into the fold so to speak but I had to wear them down.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 22 Oct 2016, 11:47 am

Lokvo wrote:I initially ran into some similar situations as OP but quickly realized, screw em, I want to get into firearms and no one is stopping me from doing so, so I didn't care If I was annoying my LGS or the guys at the shooting range, I kept asking questions lol, until they realized I determined and then somehow it's like they figured they might as well oblige seeing as it looked like I was there to stay lol and it's kinda like they let me into the fold so to speak but I had to wear them down.

I like this bit.
..screw em, I want to get into firearms and no one is stopping me from doing so..

Onya Bud :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Lokvo » 23 Oct 2016, 3:42 pm

haha yep. I'm not sure how shooting is in other bigger city's in Aus but in the outback town where I live, it's sort of "clique-y". the club people aren't as warm or welcoming in the beginning like you were just joining a game of cricket. You have to sort of bull your way into the shooting sport here lol.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scaredyet » 02 Jun 2017, 7:22 pm

I'm here guys and I have bought a CZ452 Varmint .22LR CZ452 American .22LR, Tikka T3X CTR .308 and a Howa Mini Action .223 but have not shot any of them. I will give you guys an update to how I went in the last year and advice for beginners
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 02 Jun 2017, 10:19 pm

Nice Rifles. I'd suggest perhaps getting used to the .22s and .223 before the .308. Its easy to acquire a flinch, much much harder to get rid of one.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 03 Jun 2017, 10:38 am

Why buy one rifle when you can buy four? :O
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2017, 11:08 am

in2anity wrote:Why buy one rifle when you can buy four? :O

Or more!
Victorians now own four times more licenced firearms than they gave up in the '96 buy back - and increasing by 500+ per week!
Outstanding :-)
Attachments
15-16 FY Victoria licenced firearms.jpg
15-16 FY Victoria licenced firearms.jpg (29.45 KiB) Viewed 3472 times
1996 Buyback figures.JPG
1996 Buyback figures.JPG (45.87 KiB) Viewed 3472 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by d3driver » 05 Jun 2017, 8:32 am

scaredyet wrote:I'm here guys and I have bought a CZ452 Varmint .22LR CZ452 American .22LR, Tikka T3X CTR .308 and a Howa Mini Action .223 but have not shot any of them. I will give you guys an update to how I went in the last year and advice for beginners

So the advice early on in the thread to buy a much larger safe than you thought you'd need has proven to be accurate lol. Glad to see that you've got yourself a nice spread of calibres. Now get out to the farm and chuck some lead downrange. Enjoy.
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 05 Jun 2017, 2:03 pm

Before I bought my first rifle I bought a 14 gun safe, not because I had the intention of getting that many firearms but that I wanted more space to move around in.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2017, 3:54 pm

scaredyet wrote:Before I bought my first rifle I bought a 14 gun safe, not because I had the intention of getting that many firearms but that I wanted more space to move around in.

Wise decision, firearms have a tendency to bred I've noticed :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by InisBineest » 19 Aug 2020, 10:52 pm

scaredyet wrote:
So what will be a good option for a <$600 .22

Haha, that is a whole different topic. I find these days it is hard to buy a new 22 that is truly rubbish. Everyone will have one they like, and many will Diss a certain make. Around $600 would get you a cheap second hand CZ or maybe a ruger American. New it might get you a Marlin bolt gun or a mossberg. A cheap CZ clone can be found for that price and while rough, they are generally very functional, rabbits sure can't tell the difference between a Cz clone or an Anschutz!

Have a look on usedguns.com.au, or find a good gunshop (some of the bigger ones have poor customer service, but many of us put up with that for the better prices) that are happy to chat with you. Pm me if you'd like anything more specific, happy to chat guns with anyone:D
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles