Disheartened New Shooter

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Disheartened New Shooter

Post by scaredyet » 26 Jul 2016, 11:15 pm

So they didn't let my sister take the Leupold scope out of the USA but they didn't say anything about the Leupold scope rings, Harris bipod picatinny rail, gun Vice and torque screw driver to Dave trigger kit. They said it's used in a gun so can't be taken out. Is this for real
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 27 Jul 2016, 5:03 am

scaredyet wrote:So they didn't let my sister take the Leupold scope out of the USA but they didn't say anything about the Leupold scope rings, Harris bipod picatinny rail, gun Vice and torque screw driver to Dave trigger kit. They said it's used in a gun so can't be taken out. Is this for real

Yep scopes are under ITAR regs found here.
Lot of stupid things classified under that which cant be shipped.
https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scaredyet » 27 Jul 2016, 7:23 am

Yeah but how about the other things she bought through. They said to her it can be used on a gun therefore can't be taken out the country. I think I read somewhere that it's Leupold only scopes that can't be taken out.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 30 Jul 2016, 7:30 am

OODAH wrote:
scotty87 wrote:I honestly think you a should go into a gun store with at least some idea of what your after, you should at least be settled on what calibre before even entering the store.

That said Scotty87 I went in wanting to buy my first rifle, a .22 and the salesman was such a rude prick sarcastically asking if it was for my girlfriend and continued to say he started with 308's and 243's as if to big note him self. Needless to say he didn't get any of my money.

Yeah that's not on, hope you've found a good store now and enjoy your new CZ452, I always wanted a deluxe 452 with the open sight as my first gun but was too poor/lazy to save enough so bought a marlin XT-22, which shot nicely but looked so tacky, I traded it on a howa .308 so I still have that space in my safe for a nice .22
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by simmo » 06 Aug 2016, 8:29 pm

I have been readinng the thread and in terms of promoting a great shop I will second the the recommendation of Magnum Sports.
Those guys rock!!
I contacted them and about buying a quantity of uncommon factory ammo. I drove several hours to come to the shop on Saturday morning to pick up and pay for the ammo in person in line with the regs. They didn't have the ammo as promised.
In order to make up for this they apologised, offered a very respectable adjustment to the initial agreed price when I Came back to collect the ordered ammunition.

In short, an excellent team at Magnum Sports. Highly recommend!!
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Zilla » 08 Aug 2016, 2:23 pm

OODAH wrote:That said Scotty87 I went in wanting to buy my first rifle, a .22 and the salesman was such a rude prick sarcastically asking if it was for my girlfriend and continued to say he started with 308's and 243's as if to big note him self.

What a cock head.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 12 Aug 2016, 8:03 am

I just received my PTA and going to head to Magnum Sports to pick up my CZ. What ammo should I buy to try out and how many rounds should I get. Will I need to clean the rifle and break it in before shooting, if so, where can I break it in. Should I take it to the farm or can I do it at the range. I'm in NSW
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Aug 2016, 8:42 am

Definately clean the rifle. Especially the bore. Very important before you fire it at all.

Just try a few different brands, one is sure to shoot well. Someone else might come in here with some suggestions.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6466

https://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/hints-t ... rearm.html that story is about center fire rifles but the basics are the same.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 12 Aug 2016, 9:17 am

Get CCI standards and SK .22 bulk tin.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 12 Aug 2016, 9:17 am

This is controversial but i also suggest you clean the bolt. I have done this on two rifles by filling a container with petrol/metho/shellite and soaking then shaking the bolt around in the closed container. This removes the heavy grease in the bolt which you then replace by applying a tiny amount of quality oil.

People will call BS on this, but i have had a few friends wonder why they start having misfires after 6month/year and it comes down to too much goo in the bolt internals. No issues what so ever with either my t-bolt or zastava bolts after following this method. Also save pulling it apart and having bits go everywhere (or at least that's what i imagine would hapin if i disassembled a bolt!).
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Aug 2016, 11:04 am

Disassembling a CZ bolt is no biggie but would you believe, I've forgotten :oops: You might find a vid on youtube :unknown: Failing that, ditto what Gwion said but afterwards, put Moly grease on the cocking cam and locking lugs. If you do get it apart, spray G96 on the firing pin. Not too much or it will spit back in your eye and Good Shooting :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Aug 2016, 6:50 pm

Suggest you dont buy any bulk ammo till you try a few brands. You may end up with 1000 round of ammo that shoots like s**t in your rifle.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 12 Aug 2016, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Aug 2016, 6:57 pm

Good advice 'Oldbloke' ....

My Lithgow Model 12 shoots high with Winchester SuperSpeed ( please forgive me Lord )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by stockliman » 12 Aug 2016, 7:36 pm

About 6 pages back I said I had the same experience at the same gun shop. I happened to be passing through Sydney today and needed a simple item so I stopped because it was the closest. Yeh, my opinion hasn't changed. The best thing about the shop is still the ladies on the front counter. I'll never be back.
stockliman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 12 Aug 2016, 11:04 pm

stockliman wrote:The best thing about the shop is still the ladies on the front counter.

Even the girls are bad :crazy:
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 20 Aug 2016, 10:05 am

I am finally going to pick up my .22 on Monday. Do I need to break in the barrel? Can it be done at the range like St Mary's? Or will I look like a dick
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 20 Aug 2016, 11:26 am

Do I need to break in the barrel?

No.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 20 Aug 2016, 1:21 pm

Just clean the b'jezuz out of if before you put a round through it. Thick factory grease is designed to keep the rifle spik for years and years so it is rather stubborn and can take a bit of moving. Firing a rifle without cleaning out the grease is a good way to ruin the barrel on day one.

:clap: Then just have fun shooting a gazillion rounds through it! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Garth » 24 Aug 2016, 9:25 pm

Hate rude pricks take busdiness to some one else sorry you got that teeatment .most of us have some time or another .ask around are a lotof good people who will help ask question thats how i learnt dont be shy good luck mate
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by scaredyet » 06 Sep 2016, 1:58 pm

So yesterday I picked up my CZ 452 and I also picked up a Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 with Adjustable Objective with some medium Leupold rings to go with it. I know the scope is overkill for the .22 but I want to get a .308 down the track and thought I can use it with that as well.

Should I buy a specific scope for the .22 or is this one ok. Also how's this scope for the bigger rifle is this enough for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gthfbvheahmms ... 5.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikod93d98kt8p ... 3.jpg?dl=0
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Sep 2016, 2:06 pm

Mate you have an excellent outfit there. Lifetime of use. I have a Leupold set up on a P94S Sako that I shoot metallic silhouette with and it still holds the same settings for the different distances after about 10,000 rounds.
As for the question of another rifle, you will need another scope or a lot of ammo to sight in every time you change over. Just buy quality again when the time comes. :thumbsup:
As for .22 ammo for the CZ, depends what you want to shoot with it. High velocity for hunting, standard for target shooting, real cheap stuff if it's for just plinking. :D
Buy a box of each of the ones you think might suit you and try them out, see which ones it likes. In my experience you have to run a few through the barrel when you change brands, "season" the bore to the different lube. Running one group of brand X followed by a group of Brand Y will not give true indications of what each is like.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 06 Sep 2016, 4:26 pm

So is the scope I have on too much for the .22 can I use this on a bigger rifle. I want a Tikka t3x .308 down the line. What is a good scope to buy for this one
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Sep 2016, 5:53 pm

Short answer - NO. Not too much for a .22. Yes - would suit a .308.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Medic » 06 Sep 2016, 6:54 pm

Its funny how more gunstores don't have a really easy to follow, step by step process printed out, with appropriate links and tick boxes. That way, with everything ticked, they just have to follow a list. Easy peazy. I have a wonderful local gunshop that look after me brilliantly in Keperra.
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 08 Sep 2016, 1:21 pm

scaredyet wrote:Should I buy a specific scope for the .22 or is this one ok.

For a brand new rifle, having that level of zoom is a good thing - it'll allow you to properly test the accuracy of different ammunition types without wondering whether any inaccuracy was in fact coming for you. I feel generally people over-estimate their shooting ability (off a benchrest). Even with a front-and-rear bag, it's pretty tricky to consistently shoot 10.5+ at 50m; a high-powered scope will help mitigate this problem (and help you realise a rifle's+ammo's intrinsic potential).

A good zoom on an accurate rifle (such as the 452) will also allow you to confidently take head-shots on varmint out to 100yds (so long as your holdover or adjustment is calculated correct).

Most of the time, especially shooting off hand, you'll probably run it at 4.5x - you're actually better off not knowing how much your wobbling about. You just need to practice the lazy eight and trigger control so you can consistently time your shots right.

I have a 4-12x BDC reticle on my 22, and I feel this is a really versatile setup. All offhand shots are taken at 4x (where each dot represents around 4moa; so I know where to hold for each 25yd increment). If I have the luxury of static-shooting, I increase the zoom and adjust my scope so it's zeroed.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2016, 3:04 pm

in2anity wrote:Even with a front-and-rear bag, it's pretty tricky to consistently shoot 10.5+ at 50m;

For those of us that don't shoot at official targets, what does "shooting 10.5+" mean in minutes or millimeters?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 08 Sep 2016, 3:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:Even with a front-and-rear bag, it's pretty tricky to consistently shoot 10.5+ at 50m;

For those of us that don't shoot at official targets, what does "shooting 10.5+" mean in minutes or millimeters?

About a 16mm group @ 50m
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Oct 2016, 9:01 pm

scaredyet wrote:I have a budget of $1600-$2000 for first gun(s) and scope. A fellow member pointed out to me that 200 acres may not be big enough and I do agree to an extent as the property has neighbors who only visit during holidays etc.

Is there a law for when you can go out shooting on your own land say for example I want to go out at 2am. I got a caravan on site and was sleeping one night and at 3am was hearing gun shots and it honestly scared the s**t out of me because I didn't know which direction it was coming from and didn't want to take a hit.

Well that's easy as regards your neighbors.
If they are only about on weekends etc, after getting to know them maybe in exchange for keeping an eye on the general comings and goings of the area (like neighborhood watch) maybe they'd let you shoot on their properties as well.

Win Win situation.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 22 Oct 2016, 11:01 am

I initially ran into some similar situations as OP but quickly realized, screw em, I want to get into firearms and no one is stopping me from doing so, so I didn't care If I was annoying my LGS or the guys at the shooting range, I kept asking questions lol, until they realized I determined and then somehow it's like they figured they might as well oblige seeing as it looked like I was there to stay lol and it's kinda like they let me into the fold so to speak but I had to wear them down.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 22 Oct 2016, 11:47 am

Lokvo wrote:I initially ran into some similar situations as OP but quickly realized, screw em, I want to get into firearms and no one is stopping me from doing so, so I didn't care If I was annoying my LGS or the guys at the shooting range, I kept asking questions lol, until they realized I determined and then somehow it's like they figured they might as well oblige seeing as it looked like I was there to stay lol and it's kinda like they let me into the fold so to speak but I had to wear them down.

I like this bit.
..screw em, I want to get into firearms and no one is stopping me from doing so..

Onya Bud :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles