Disheartened New Shooter

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Disheartened New Shooter

Post by Lokvo » 23 Oct 2016, 3:42 pm

haha yep. I'm not sure how shooting is in other bigger city's in Aus but in the outback town where I live, it's sort of "clique-y". the club people aren't as warm or welcoming in the beginning like you were just joining a game of cricket. You have to sort of bull your way into the shooting sport here lol.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scaredyet » 02 Jun 2017, 7:22 pm

I'm here guys and I have bought a CZ452 Varmint .22LR CZ452 American .22LR, Tikka T3X CTR .308 and a Howa Mini Action .223 but have not shot any of them. I will give you guys an update to how I went in the last year and advice for beginners
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 02 Jun 2017, 10:19 pm

Nice Rifles. I'd suggest perhaps getting used to the .22s and .223 before the .308. Its easy to acquire a flinch, much much harder to get rid of one.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 03 Jun 2017, 10:38 am

Why buy one rifle when you can buy four? :O
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2017, 11:08 am

in2anity wrote:Why buy one rifle when you can buy four? :O

Or more!
Victorians now own four times more licenced firearms than they gave up in the '96 buy back - and increasing by 500+ per week!
Outstanding :-)
Attachments
15-16 FY Victoria licenced firearms.jpg
15-16 FY Victoria licenced firearms.jpg (29.45 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
1996 Buyback figures.JPG
1996 Buyback figures.JPG (45.87 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by d3driver » 05 Jun 2017, 8:32 am

scaredyet wrote:I'm here guys and I have bought a CZ452 Varmint .22LR CZ452 American .22LR, Tikka T3X CTR .308 and a Howa Mini Action .223 but have not shot any of them. I will give you guys an update to how I went in the last year and advice for beginners

So the advice early on in the thread to buy a much larger safe than you thought you'd need has proven to be accurate lol. Glad to see that you've got yourself a nice spread of calibres. Now get out to the farm and chuck some lead downrange. Enjoy.
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 05 Jun 2017, 2:03 pm

Before I bought my first rifle I bought a 14 gun safe, not because I had the intention of getting that many firearms but that I wanted more space to move around in.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2017, 3:54 pm

scaredyet wrote:Before I bought my first rifle I bought a 14 gun safe, not because I had the intention of getting that many firearms but that I wanted more space to move around in.

Wise decision, firearms have a tendency to bred I've noticed :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by InisBineest » 19 Aug 2020, 10:52 pm

scaredyet wrote:
So what will be a good option for a <$600 .22

Haha, that is a whole different topic. I find these days it is hard to buy a new 22 that is truly rubbish. Everyone will have one they like, and many will Diss a certain make. Around $600 would get you a cheap second hand CZ or maybe a ruger American. New it might get you a Marlin bolt gun or a mossberg. A cheap CZ clone can be found for that price and while rough, they are generally very functional, rabbits sure can't tell the difference between a Cz clone or an Anschutz!

Have a look on usedguns.com.au, or find a good gunshop (some of the bigger ones have poor customer service, but many of us put up with that for the better prices) that are happy to chat with you. Pm me if you'd like anything more specific, happy to chat guns with anyone:D
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles