Disheartened New Shooter

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Disheartened New Shooter

Post by adam » 28 Jun 2016, 9:18 am

[quote=] "I want to buy once and keep in for as long as I can, so for example maybe buy one shot gun and maybe one rifle for hunting and one for target shooting and thats it," [/quote]

I read this as the OP saying they want to buy "right" first time round, instead of wasting money and then needing to exchange & upgrade later... :)

.22 is invaluable for training - especially if you plan on shooting centrefires later. Good as it's less powerful, and cheaper for honing your skills in... Plus it'll give you a bit more of an idea later when you want to buy your larger rifles as to what you might, or might not like about them...
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 28 Jun 2016, 9:23 am

scaredyet wrote:Thanks for all the feedback I'm overwhelmed by the help on this forum. I've decided I'll get a .22 for my first rifle and have a play with it and get used to shooting and sighting a scope in first, just getter a better feel for the sport then I'll be back for help on what's next.

So what will be a good option for a <$600 .22

CZ 452 is what get recommended a lot, they seem like pretty solid little rifles.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 28 Jun 2016, 10:31 am

+ 1 for a cz 452 or 455 new or second hand lovely rifles
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by scaredyet » 28 Jun 2016, 11:50 am

The CZ looks good now to find some good prices and decide on the 452 or 455. What my first post was about when I said I only want to buy one is that I want to buy right and not keep changing guns. So yeah buy right and maybe pass it down to my son for example
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 28 Jun 2016, 12:28 pm

to the OP,
>remove the name, I'm all for naming and shaming, but the mods WILL delete... the thread.... there is history that many will be aware of that has set the 'no naming' precedent...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 28 Jun 2016, 12:35 pm

Re the poor service, as mentioned, that is a common trait in many industries, not just firearms.... Some retailers in the Melbourne zone even seem like theyre doing you a massive favour by accepting your money.... then when you leave, you feel kind of used and taken advantage of for your good looks and money.... OK, mainly money :P

Dont be disheartened - its the way of the times perhaps...one things for sure - if it was the owner of the business HE/SHE WANTS your business and $$

As far as what guns you need, thats the easy question -

ONE
OF
EVERYTHING

if a noob, start with a 22LR, for riflemanship, 12g for shotgun....manship :lol:
Then go from there.

Riflewise, which one?? Well, you'll be covered without a single purchase, because as Darwin alludes to, everyone who attends the first annual enoughgun invitation, at YOUR place, date TBA, will bring one of everything for you to use :clap: :drinks:

:welcome:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 28 Jun 2016, 12:58 pm

It's great to see all the good advise from the more experienced shooters. Welcome to the forum. It seems I've missed out on a bit of this thread. Most advise you e got is good. Honestly small gun shops tend to be better service wise as you're often served by the owner or someone who cares about the business. (I don't have a choice as I've only got small gun shops nearby closest is 100k) yes buy a .22LR great caliber to learn with and cheap as chips to run can fire 20rds of .22 (less than 10c a shot) for the price of one premium CF round sometimes around $2 a shot (.223 is an exception can get them for under $1) CZ rimfires are well priced and good Quality. (So I hear) also a shotgun is a must have. Personally I'd say a SxS or underover I like SxSs and always 12g. As for a CF I'd buy 2 when you get around to it like Brett said. A .223 and a .308 will cover anything you wish to takedown south of the tropics. I can reccomend Howas I have 2. Also Tikkas seem to get a good rap but I think they feel cheap. As for scopes the options are myriad I run Bushnell Elites. Happy shopping and shooting.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 28 Jun 2016, 1:30 pm

Sorry guys I'm not sure of the culture of these forums I have edited my post and removed the name.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Jun 2016, 1:33 pm

re the CZ
Try to get one with a floating barrel. My 452 had a bolt that went through the fore-end, into the barrel. It was Difficult to bed and the bolt was sensitive to tension/torque(?).

However, once sorted it shot under 2 moa :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 28 Jun 2016, 2:24 pm

For under $600, unless you get really lucky, you will struggle to get a new CZ.

For that sort of coin look at a Ruger American, reputable brand, well built, accurate and a rapidly growing amount of after market goodies.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 28 Jun 2016, 6:35 pm

Hello scaredyet:

The first gun I ever shot was a 22 rimfire, that was around 55 years ago. First guns I bought were 22 rimfires, handguns and rifles. First shotgun I shot and hunted with was a Winchester single-shot Model 37 in 20 gauge then moved up to dad's Remington Wingmaster (870) pump also a 20 gauge. I'm a big fan of 22 rimfires as first guns usually less expensive to buy and to feed.. Regretfully with you being is Australia the less expensive semi autos are not an option so the more expensive manually cycled guns are your only choice. I know quite a few shooters who love their Marlin bolt guns and one who loves his Ruger American 22, the Ruger 77/22 is more than you're wanting to spend.

For the center-fire rifle get either a 223 with fast rifling, it stabilizes heavier/longer bullets better. The ammo is less expensive and has a good selection available. Other possibilities would be a 22-250, again with faster twist to take heavier bullets, or a gun chambered in the 308 Winchester case family: 243Win, 260Rem,7mm-08, 308Win, 338Fed, or 358Win.

In shotguns I like the single sighting plane of either a single barrel, a pump 870 is my first choice, possibly a lever action I've only shot a 100 year old Winchester so my experience is limited, or an over and under. I have and have shot side by sides but I prefer the single barrel sighting plane. Get a 12 gauge and start out with low brass loads.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by scaredyet » 28 Jun 2016, 7:21 pm

I've been reading over the advice in this thread and having a good think. I do like the CZ 452 or even the 455. I want to go wood stock with blue/ black barrel.

Will a .22 be good for foxes as well?

I think the hardest part is to get your first gun.

http://www.safarifirearms.com.au/firear ... ckage.html how's this price if I can knock a few more dollars off
Last edited by scaredyet on 28 Jun 2016, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Jun 2016, 8:03 pm

I don't like the 22 for foxes a little under powered for them unless headshots are used the 223 is more suited for them and will handle skippies (under permit of course) again headshots are required there too - as stated earlier you have lots of practice to do before you start hunting fur so get a 22 head to the range at Bathurst and start learning the art of firearms use.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by POD89 » 28 Jun 2016, 10:23 pm

G'day scaredyet.

Do not let the unjustified "flexing" of egos deter you from owning a firearm or spending you business with a certain shop.
I'm sure you just got a guy on a bad day.
I recently experienced something similar when i was asking questions about my first centre fire rifle. I had a few things i was unclear about regarding licencing and minimal acreage requirements. I went straight up to this guy behind the counter who initially had " go f*ck your self" plastered across his face.
but I fought every part of my conscious to walk out the door and honestly said to him " i have no idea what i'm doing but i going to spend some money today"
( more or less)
he changed his tune pretty quick.
From what i notice at my local firearms dealer is that there are a lot of people window shopping and talking sh*t and not spending a lot of money. Over time, I think that it must wear them down. As soon as they know your half serious about making a purchase, its in their best interest to keep your business there.
Worst comes to worst, if your unsure about a purchase ask these wise blokes on this forum. They pointed me in the right direction for a new optic for my .223 and i have no regrets.
also, if your applying for a rifle to use on your land...
.22lr
12 gauge.
too what ever budget you want to part with.

in WA you need 1000 acres for a .223 and even more for a .243
i don't think 200 acres would cut it for a big centre fire
could be different over your way.???
regards
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by ozbluei » 28 Jun 2016, 11:15 pm

For a first gun, you should definitely get a .22LR bolt action rifle. They are accurate, fun to shoot, ammo is cheap and will give you lots of practice. You can use it for target shooting, "plinking" on your property and for rabbits.

I've got a CZ 452 which I will never sell. It is ridiculously accurate. You can't go wrong with a CZ. Try here.
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 29 Jun 2016, 6:06 am

Thanks for the link ozbluei found this http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=81203 it's better than the price from Safari that I posted before. Is there anything to look out for. It says CZ 452 Special as far as I am aware this is the CZ 452 American Beech made for Australia
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Jun 2016, 8:25 am

Buy it....
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 29 Jun 2016, 8:30 am

Beech is just a cheaper stock option to Walnut.

You can also pick up some good old Aussie made rifles like the Sportco. Got mine (wife's rifle) for $120 and spent about $100 getting it tinkered with. It has a few different rounds that it will shoot very well and the only reason I don't use it more is that it is not a lefty. Great little rifles and a bit of history to boot.

CZ have a good rep but didn't feel right in my hands compared to other brands. I ended up with a Browning, only because Sako don't make lefties; still the tbolt is a lovely little rifle to shoot and fits me very well.

At the other end of the scale from a nice old classic to pick up cheap, don't be afraid to shell out on your first 22 if you decide an old Sportco or the like is not for you. $300 will get you decent scope for a 22lr. So with your budget that allows up to $1300 for a rifle that will last a lifetime or three if cared for well. A lot of cheaper modern rifles are designed and manufactured as disposable items.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by scaredyet » 29 Jun 2016, 10:49 am

How's the Varmint 452 compared to this? There's a brand new one for sale with a leupold vx1 4-12 scope for $1100
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bosbefok » 29 Jun 2016, 10:56 am

I like Abelas in Campbeltown. Find a new LGS.

You need a .22LR. I just recently got the CZ 455 in .22LR, .22 mag, .17hmr (interchangeable barrels). Great, accurate rifle.

I would then recommend a .223 for target shooting spotlighting and all of your hunting needs up to deer.

Then, for deer, you should step up to .270 or My preference would be a 30-06 or 308.

Optics are important. For hunting Leupold vx1's in 3-9 or 4-12 are fine for me with a lifetime warranty!! Target shooting you might want something like a Leupold 6-18x.

A o/u shotgun for clays, wing shooting etc.

My 2c worth.
Last edited by Bosbefok on 29 Jun 2016, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by chrispy88 » 29 Jun 2016, 11:07 am

Varmint barrel has a thicker profile so is heavier. Takes longer to heat up but once hot will take longer to cool. Will also be stiffer.

As long as you're a healthy lad that weighs more than 40kg you won't find a CZ .22 varmint too heavy to walk around the paddock with.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 29 Jun 2016, 12:04 pm

My t-bolt is a varmint barrel and it is still lighter than my Sportco, marginally.

A 'heavy' barrel on a 22lr is still lightweight compared to a heavy barrel on a centerfire: as a rule.

Before you buy it, pick the thing up and handle it, shoulder it, etc.. If it doesn't feel natural to shoulder there may be another rifle that will. Simplest way to explain it. Does it "fit you"? CZ didn't fit me and i was almost convinced to buy one until i went to put money down in store and didn't like the feel. All personal preference and individual 'fit'. We are all different shapes and sizes.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by POD89 » 29 Jun 2016, 12:47 pm

Gwion wrote:Beech is just a cheaper stock option to Walnut.

You can also pick up some good old Aussie made rifles like the Sportco. Got mine (wife's rifle) for $120 and spent about $100 getting it tinkered with. It has a few different rounds that it will shoot very well and the only reason I don't use it more is that it is not a lefty. Great little rifles and a bit of history to boot.

YES.

Sportco make great little .22's my grandads old model 43 single shot .22 is fantastic.
really light, great to shoot. the bolt action is an old style... but being a single shot your not really hammering through the .22 ammo like you would with something with a magazine.

don't mind me, I just saw that someone else liked the good ol sportco and it got me excited.
CZ are great too. i have a 455 lux in .22 really great to use.
the walnut adds a nice touch too..

regards
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by halfcocked » 29 Jun 2016, 6:25 pm

Im a new shooter also.
Do you have a ssaa range there? We have one in vic and i went there with my mossberg .22 plinkster ($450 with scope) and i also shot their cz 452. The quality, bolt and accuracy just felt sooo much better! But i am warming up to my lil plinkster and i was still sighting it in and gonna find the ammo it likes. Im confident i can get similiar groupings to the cz, certainly every shot is within a rabbits head.
So yeh get down a range and put thru 200 rounds each time and get a feel for it. You may see other uses guns there too and their groupings and chat to them about firearms.

Savage mk 2 have a good wrap for accuracy for cheap. Browning t bolt. Ruger american look cool imo.
Im pretty sure i read cz scratches the cleaning rod also. May want to research and consider that.
Under over 12g imo
30-06 would be my choice in cf once you've done your apprenticeship. $2 a round. 100 bucks and thats 50 deer or pigs. Small change really if its just for hunting not the range.

Edit* wouldnt go 455 with 3 barrells. Every time you change barrell you have to sight in. Stuff changing them too. Just get the caliber you want. .22 is fine. If 17hmr or .22 wmr just get a cf.
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Jun 2016, 7:12 pm

'......cz scratches the cleaning rod....", by halfcocked.
My 452 did. It was the ejector sticking up from the bottom of the action. It was a plastic coated rod and after it was removed it had shrunk down to about 0.170". Worked OK though.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jun 2016, 10:29 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:'......cz scratches the cleaning rod....", by halfcocked.
My 452 did. It was the ejector sticking up from the bottom of the action. It was a plastic coated rod and after it was removed it had shrunk down to about 0.170". Worked OK though.

Use a bore guide, problem solved! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jun 2016, 11:20 pm

Beech stocked Brno Mod 2 (did have a god aweful dark brown stain on it from the factory but I soon sorted that out) to reveal this beautiful timber.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by halfcocked » 30 Jun 2016, 4:58 am

bigfellascott wrote:

Does the ejector retract?
On my mossberg. 22 i have the sear in the way, i think that'd retract but it looks like the ejector doesnt. It'd scratch even a .17 rod and certainly no room for a bore guide. On mine anyway im not sure about a cz
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jun 2016, 6:34 am

halfcocked wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Does the ejector retract?
On my mossberg. 22 i have the sear in the way, i think that'd retract but it looks like the ejector doesnt. It'd scratch even a .17 rod and certainly no room for a bore guide. On mine anyway im not sure about a cz

Not sure mate, never looked to be honest, but it fixes the prob. Anyway ya don't need to clean the bore on a 22 often anyway they tend to shoot better when they are dirty anyway. I think the last time I cleaned my 22 bore was a good 5-10yrs ago :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Jun 2016, 10:24 am

halfcocked,
The ejector of my 452 did not retract.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland