Disheartened New Shooter

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Disheartened New Shooter

Post by halfcocked » 30 Jun 2016, 2:39 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:halfcocked,
The ejector of my 452 did not retract.

Whats your cleaning method mate proceed with the newly sized .17 rod lol?
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 30 Jun 2016, 2:40 pm

Thanks for all of your time and advice.

I have narrowed it down to the CZ rifle

I'm still trying to decide in a cz 452 special($599) with Beech stock or a cz 452 Varmint ($800-$900)with the walnut stock both .22lr both brand new.

Are those prices good and I will still need to but a scope.

Thanks
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 01 Jul 2016, 3:48 pm

Buy the one you like best mate. Either one will serve you well. Like most rifles, they have their own idiosyncrasies, but you just need to put shots downrange and work them out. They can sometimes be finicky to chamber and eject rounds but the more rounds you put through the better they get and the better you get at it. Excellent reputation for accuracy and longevity. Great .22 hunting rifle and there are plenty of them used in competition shooting.
With regards your scope ,don't go less than 40mm objective lense unless you like that"fish eye" effect. :thumbsdown:
Quality is directly related to price, however for your purposes you should be able to get a suitable scope around the $200 mark.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by halfcocked » 02 Jul 2016, 9:56 pm

Go the varmint. Bit heavier but you'll be be shooting from a vehicle or bipod position mostly wouldn't you? More accurate thicker barrell and usually better trigger from my understanding.
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 02 Jul 2016, 11:08 pm

I'll be using it mostly for target in the range or from a bench on the farm, I'll see how I go with a bipod and on the odd occasion I'll hunt for rabbits
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ozbluei » 03 Jul 2016, 9:27 am

Get the varmint barrel and get a model without iron sights since you intend to scope it and use for target or off a bench. Stock is just personal preference, doesn't make any practical difference and it is easy to change to another stock in the future if you really want to. These days I like synthetic stocks but that's just me. The rifle should be comfortable and natural to hold and shoot though.

Regarding scopes, I like warne rings for the CZ and you will have to do some research but I would recommend a rimfire specific scope with variable magnification like a burris rimfire 3-9x40.
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 03 Jul 2016, 11:15 am

I have a sister in the US on her way in a couple of weeks. I bought a Leupold VX 3i 3.5-10x40 rifle scope (thanks Ozzie Reviews) from there cost me only $460AUD and I have my eye on a picatinny rail http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156323 does anyone know what rings will go good with the scope using the picatinny rail. So if I go with the Varmint it comes with an 11mm dovetail if I go for the Special it come with a 3/8 dove joint. I'm also after a bipod Harris or elcheapo off eBay that will work as well
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Jul 2016, 11:54 am

I understand optics are export controlled, requiring export permits, not sure if it relates to basic rifle scopes but if it does but you might want to check before your sis presents at the port with it in her baggage...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by scaredyet » 03 Jul 2016, 8:19 pm

From what I have researched If you are importing a Full firearm or a critical part of the firearm you will need a B709A for the police minister in your state. i.e go to the cop shop and fill out the paper work. (Critical part, is a part the is needed to fire the firearm e.g firing pin, receiver, bolt, mag, barrel, stock, etc.

A Scope is not needed for the use of a firearm, there for is not an Integral part of the firearm and is only an Accessory. thus not needing any form of permission to import this.

P.s. a Rifle scope falls under the Category of Optics (photo lens, binoculars, scopes) and not a gun parts.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Jul 2016, 9:01 pm

Talking USA export control....as in "sorry miss, you can not take that out of the country"...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by scaredyet » 04 Jul 2016, 4:03 am

Oh I didn't understand OK
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 04 Jul 2016, 4:46 am

Scopes come under ITAR restriction by dept of state. Basically if it deemed a military used item its restricted. A mate makes muzzle breaks and flash suppressors in US and cant send for same reasons.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by nords » 04 Jul 2016, 10:06 am

How good is the response a new guy gets on this forum :thumbsup:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2016, 10:21 am

nords wrote:How good is the response a new guy gets on this forum :thumbsup:

Yep, a very friendly forum. :clap: :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 05 Jul 2016, 9:10 am

I appreciate all the time you guys have given me. being a new shooter and being treated like crap in my first visit to a gun store it was a pretty crap experience to be honest. I now have the gun I want in mind and have contacted two gun shops in Sydney that have been very friendly indeed.

I don't get why people just don't be nice to each other (shooters), especially when everyone is against gun owners. Imagine feeling like your breaking the law when your doing something perfectly legal. That's how I felt when I walked into my first gun store. This society and Australian governments make you feel like a criminal because you want to be a gun owner.

Thanks once again, I will keep you guys up to date with what happens in the next couple of weeks
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 06 Jul 2016, 8:53 am

I put a deposit for a new CZ 452
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jul 2016, 9:15 am

You'll be right with that one mate. Perhaps a new headline is in order, "NO LONGER- Disheartened new shooter" :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 06 Jul 2016, 10:51 am

Yeah, can we post our experience with certain gun stores or is that a no no? I went to another store which was recommended to me and same s**t from them as well.

I ended up travelling 1 hr and got the best service ever
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Jul 2016, 11:10 am

Only "Positive" experiences can be posted so feel free to give the store a wrap.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 06 Jul 2016, 11:33 am

Magnum Sports Roseville Chase. Tiny store, big on customer service and the prices I saw were at least $150-$200 cheaper for the big items I was looking at.

I honestly went in not expecting much but Phil was so helpful that I will happily travel 1 hr to purchase my stuff from them.

I did email the store before hand for prices and the owner Andrew (man of a few words) did reply promptly.

They do get busy for a little store but the mood was good, other customers were helping me out as well. There is plenty of parking out the back as well.

Sorry to say but this industry is full of big egos and wankers, but I eventually got the best service.

+1 for Magnum Sports

No longer disheartened new shooter :D
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jul 2016, 1:36 pm

Having a good relationship with your LGS is a good thing. Just remember they get a lot of wannabe's and "tyre-kickers" through their door. So build up a relationship gradually and try to be a paying customer every visit. Doesn't have to be a huge amount, just something. They don't need to waste an hour of their time on someone who 'aint going to put some money in the till.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2016, 2:29 pm

Not to bag out on you, Gamerancher, but this is such an arse about attitude to retail sales. Not having a go, but this isn't even close to the first time i've heard this kind of advice doled out in relation to shooting stores.

It is up to the retailer to win the customers business, not for the customer to 'earn customer service'.

I have spent quite a bit of time in retail and whole sale of fishing gear and outdoor adventure gear where i use the gear i sell on a regular basis. Top end angling gear, hiking gear, alpine cooking gear, tents, sleeping bags, knives.......
Part of the job is spending time with tire kickers and newbies who just want info. Sure, it's annoying when you get wannabe gear freaks in there telling you what is what, just the same as it's painful for a customer having some local hero sales staff telling them they need something that they clearly don't. You, as floor staff, spend the time and win the customer's loyalty and business by helping them make informed decisions about what is going to be useful for them by asking them questions and listening to them, or, if they obviously don't know their arse from their hat, y giving them a reasonable starting point that suits their budget. In the long run, you end up with a heap of repeat business and good word of mouth.

I had one particular customer who came in about 5 times before he bought a thing as it was on his way past on a weekly business run. He was quite open that he hadn't been fishing since he was a kid and wanted to get into it with his son. After developing rapport and tossing around likely scenarios of where an how to get into a few fish, he came in and bought 2 top of the line light spin outfits for around $1500 each. A few months later he wanted to go rock fishing, so i sold him another two kick arse light surf/rock outfits for $1500-2000 each, plus tackle. Then, he had a mate who wanted a regular crew on his 6m boat, so this customer wanted a couple of outfits that could handle anything from good snapper up to kingfish and anything up and down the east coast. You guessed it, he again dropped another $4k odd on a PAIR of outfits.

Had i taken the 'this guy is a tyre kicker and not worth my time' attitude, i would have lost the store some $10k odd worth of sales over 6 months. As it is, there is a very happy guy who loves fishing now and has his first three outfits that are capable of fishing for just about any freshwater/esturine/inshore species going around Australia, up to reasonable sized pelagics.

Retailers, no matter what kind of technical gear they flog, need to remember that they are in the business of customer service, not the business of being a local hero.

If you find a store or two with good, honest and useful customer service: stick with them.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jul 2016, 2:50 pm

Settle down Gwion, I fully agree with you. I was just suggesting that you don't want to become a non-buying, annoying type of "drop-in". Yes, it is part of retail to convince a customer that you have what he needs, "would you like fries with that". I also know a lot of blokes in the firearms retail business and I'm only repeating their comments. I've also been on the receiving end of some piss-poor sales assistant attitudes to the point where there are two large gunshops that will never see another cent out of me, having spent thousands there previously.
I bet that your drop in customer was a nice bloke and genuine and you picked up on that straight away.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2016, 3:39 pm

Sorry for the rant. None of it was directed at you. I have just heard a lot of people say things about having to adjust to the 'gun shop' culture in order to get any level of service. I find it frustrating.

Pain in the arse customers are all part of retail. If you can't handle them you should be in a different business.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by ebr love » 12 Jul 2016, 11:40 am

Magnum Sports has always been a top shop for me.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 12 Jul 2016, 4:40 pm

I had much the same first experience with my first gun shop I ever went too. Ended up going to one down the road and was much better off for it. There was a lot less ego in the air!
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 15 Jul 2016, 7:39 pm

I honestly think you a should go into a gun store with at least some idea of what your after, you should at least be settled on what calibre before even entering the store and approaching staff to look at rifles. That said I do appreciate stores with good customer service, it quite often gets me spending money I hadn't planned to spend. Sometimes though I wish for a big box retail store type experience to feel free to browse projectiles and accessories without salesman pressure or feeling like a trespasser.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by knowsnothin » 15 Jul 2016, 8:41 pm

Well done on the CZ. you'll be happy with it. and still be happy with it in 20 years.
pick it up and get shooting. good luck
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by scaredyet » 15 Jul 2016, 9:56 pm

I'm waiting for my PTA and can't wait till I take it and start shooting.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 16 Jul 2016, 9:24 am

scotty87 wrote:I honestly think you a should go into a gun store with at least some idea of what your after, you should at least be settled on what calibre before even entering the store.

That said Scotty87 I went in wanting to buy my first rifle, a .22 and the salesman was such a rude prick sarcastically asking if it was for my girlfriend and continued to say he started with 308's and 243's as if to big note him self. Needless to say he didn't get any of my money.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles