After Some Advice

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

After Some Advice

Post by bigpete » 28 Jun 2016, 12:56 pm

OK as I've semi discussed elsewhere I'm playing around with some 12 gauge black powder round ball loads. I reckon I've got them pretty sussed out and I think I can potentially get some decent accuracy out of them,but I've only got my short little coach gun to shoot them out of,which I'd very painful to my ears, and each barrel shoots to a different poi. So I'm really thinking I would like to get a single barrel shotgun and making up a poor man's " paradox " gun. The way I see it I've got 3 choices that I like. First is buy a really cheap break action like an old Baikal or something. Second is find a Mossberg bolt action. Third, and the one I think has the most class,is find a martini action shotgun. I'd put express style sights on whatever I get,and I'd want a minimum 24" barrel. I also intend for it to have no choke,as it will be intended more to shoot round ball, with the option of shooting shotshells if I want. What do people reckon?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: After Some Advice

Post by Supaduke » 28 Jun 2016, 1:18 pm

Martini's are classy, it would seem more of a match for BP shooting. They have that old world charm.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Jun 2016, 1:34 pm

Yeah they do :-) I actually thought I was inheriting one from my grandpa but in the end after much internet searching I found out it's something called zella. I was watching a thread on nitro forums about s bloke who is doing something similar but for some reason now you can't access the forum unless your a member. Only problem I can see with the Martini is price and availability
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by chrispy88 » 28 Jun 2016, 3:41 pm

I picked up a W.W. Greener GP 12g Martini last year for $300 in pretty tidy knick. I did get lucky but they are around at reasonable prices. Sounds like a fun project.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2016, 5:19 pm

Bigpete, what is your intended uses?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Jun 2016, 5:25 pm

Shooting stuff :-) I just visited the local shop they had a brand new H&R for $315, an old Boito, a sportco bolt action for $250, and a greener gp being held out the back that they weren't sure was for sale or not. Plus the bloke reckons his mate has an old marlin goose gun and a greener gp that he might sell. And I just wanted to kill time in the shop lol now I've got to think about saving up some money :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2016, 7:03 pm

No 2 ball sinker will do the job lol
I guess if you fit one of these, what with solids and shot they would make a good camp gun.

$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG (31.1 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Jun 2016, 7:54 pm

Ha ha I've tried the ball sinker in a shotcup before and it didn't really work very well,but my patched .725 RB in brass cases work fantastic. The Greener at the local is a takedown so I'm seriously liking the idea of that one as I may be able to get a rifled barrel for it one day.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles