Barrel Break in???

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Barrel Break in???

Post by Hammo8090 » 29 Jun 2016, 9:02 am

Hi Guys,

First post here & I am new to the sport of shooting. I have recently purchased a Howa Mini Action .223 & a .22LR which I'll be using for the first time in 2 weeks but wanted to know if I need to follow any barrel break in procedures for either rifle. There seems to be mixed info on the net & I have asked a couple of shooters I know & they said no need to.

Any advice would be great.
Hammo8090
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Barrel Break in???

Post by chrispy88 » 29 Jun 2016, 2:18 pm

Bit of a controversial one but my view is it doesn't hurt so why not do it.

Different blokes will have different ways of doing it but mine is (for centrefires) : clean it thoroughly before first firing as the manufacturers put a ****** of grease in the bore to protect it; fire 3 shots; clean again; fire 5 shots; clean again and then go for your life.

I believe not so critical in rimfires but again there will be those that disagree.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 29 Jun 2016, 2:56 pm

Clean it then shoot , breaking in is a waste of time and ammo !
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Jun 2016, 3:27 pm

This is one of those topics that raises plenty of health debate.

For the .22lr I'd say no.
They don't suffer from fouling and the wax on the projectiles help to lubricate, clean and preserve the barrel .
Justgive the .22lr one initial clean and just focus on the exterior and bolt from then on.
It's been said that more .22 rifles have been worn out from cleaning than shooting.
I've only cleaned my .22lr barrel about 3 times in nearly 20 years, only because it's been wet, sandy or dusty.

Personally I like the idea of it for center fire rifles just in case it's beneficial.
For those who swear by it the techniques vary heaps.

It's my understanding that the theory behind it is to polish or smooth the barrel's finish to prevent galling therefore reducing pressure and copper foweling.

The part I don't like is actually doing it. That's lots of cleaning, which in itself can be damaging if not done correctly.

I'd be interested to hear from the folks who shoot competitively on their ideas and techniques.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 29 Jun 2016, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 29 Jun 2016, 3:45 pm

Hammo8090, Where will you be shooting in a couple weeks?
Barrel break in has been done to death many times on this forum and virtually everyone has a slightly different approach. Best advice is to check the manual and see if the manufacturer recommends any process, then follow it. The important thing is to not over heat the barrel in the initial shots, get it warm then allow to cool, repeat several times over a few sessions. Whilst the 223 is cooling, you can go for your life with the 22 :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 29 Jun 2016, 6:30 pm

Won't comment on the break in but clean the 22 after the days shooting. Contrary to what you read, the wax doesn't preserve the bore and they will eventually pit out if you don't clean them. I usually squirt a little Inox down the 22's bore at the end of the day and dry patch it out. You don't need to over do it.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Shorti85 » 29 Jun 2016, 6:48 pm

if you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Jun 2016, 7:17 pm

happyhunter wrote: Contrary to what you read, the wax doesn't preserve the bore and they will eventually pit out if you don't clean them..

Agree. My CZ had rust in the bore after being put away dirty.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Atter » 19 Oct 2016, 10:51 am

After how long Wm?
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Oct 2016, 2:06 pm

Atter wrote:After how long Wm?

Could not possibly tell you, it's been so long since it happened. Living in the sub-tropics and only a few miles from the ocean is a "rust hazard". I don't take chances any more and all's well with my guns :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by hughston » 19 Oct 2016, 5:38 pm

i believe in keeping on top of copper fouling which will affect your accuracy and definitely clean after every shoot. I think with cheaper factory rifles, breaking in isn't that important but with high end barrel manufacturers like lilja or krieger etc on custom target rifles you should follow manufacturers break in procedure but there usually 5k + rifles. Get your self some sweets 7.62 copper solvent or that stuff that foams up and give it a good clean every 100 rounds or so & you'll have no problems lining up a polly.
hughston
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Lorgar » 27 Oct 2016, 9:44 am

chrispy88 wrote:Bit of a controversial one but my view is it doesn't hurt so why not do it.

Doesn't hurt, but... depending on how many rounds people think is the appropriate number to break it in though it can be a massive waste of time and cash (IMO).

If you want to put 20 rounds through it with a few cleans in between then whatever, no big deal. If it makes you feel comfortable have at it :thumbsup:

Some guys reckon (and tell others) you need to put 300 or 400 rounds through before you can start using a rifle though :unknown:

No thanks.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles