Tikka Varmint vs sporter barrel accuracy

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka Varmint vs sporter barrel accuracy

Post by Flyer » 03 Jul 2016, 3:12 pm

When does a varmint barrel really start to have an advantage over a sporter barrel? 5 shots? 10 shots? If I wanted a dual-purpose rifle for casual target shooting standing up and lying down, could I get away with a sporter barrel?

I've got a decent .22 and a .223 that are both good enough for the offhand target shooting I do now. So basically I'm looking at a 6.5x55 I can use for silhouette or field rifle, and maybe have a go at distance (prone) shooting next year. I don't expect to be competitive, but I don't want to be embarrassed, either! I'm not ready to spend loads on special-purpose rifles for each discipline, and I don't hunt.

So I've been looking at a Tikka Varmint - it certainly has the better stock, barrel and potential - but been warned they can get heavy offhand after 40 shots, especially after shooting rimfire right beforehand. If not the Varmint, I'd be inclined to get a wood-stock stainless sporter.

But would the sporter be any good for long-range (300+ yard) prone shooting if I decided to give it a go? Thanks.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Re: Tikka Varmint vs sporter barrel accuracy

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 1:28 pm

G'day Flyer
I have a Sako 75 stainless, synthetic sporter in 6.5x55 that I got for my then teenage son to shoot Metallic Silhouette with. He used it in both open and hunter class as it made hunter weight. Never had any trouble with getting it too hot but then we usually only shoot 10 shots at the line then stand down. Matches are 40 shots but you don't shoot them all together so I wouldn't worry about holding a varmint barreled version up. Our heavy guns are maximum 10lb2oz or 4.6kg. I don't know how the barrel profiles compare between the Tikka and Sako 75 but if silhouette is on the cards avoid the light-weight versions, especially the fluted ones, as man do they build up a heat mirage quick. The Tikka T3 Forrest is becoming very popular in the U.S as an out of the box silhouette rifle. Hope that helps.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Jul 2016, 1:53 pm

If 80 grain 223 bullets were heavy enough to knock the silhouettes, would you consider fitting a fast twist barrel to your existing 223? I used my 223 in NRAA competition out to 1000 yards. Just a wild idea mate.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 2:08 pm

Silhouette has a minimum caliber of 6mm - .243. Rams at 500m weigh about 70lb, .243win is very low on the knock-down performance required. A minimum of 1000ft/lb of energy @ 500m is required for reliability, it don't count if it don't fall. .
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 04 Jul 2016, 3:35 pm

Yeah, pretty much this ^

I was thinking more in terms of needing a heavy barrel to be competitive in F class/prone distance shooting rather than silhouette. Centrefire silhouette is a waste of ammo at the best of times, so sporter barrel would suffice for a bit of fun. My club usually shoots 5, 5, 5, 5 and swaps details to let the rifles cool down between rounds.

For prone distance shooting, however, I was just wondering if it's worth getting a bull barrel to begin with or if I could get away with a sporter barrel and maybe look at getting something more dedicated down the track if I decide to go that way. I can't really justify two rifles at this point, and the Varmint is about the same price as the Forest, both of which I like the look of.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Jul 2016, 8:26 pm

FIRSTLY,
Sorry about the bum steer. As you can see, I know nothing about silhouette and spelling it is a struggle too.

F Class
Everyone uses a 30" barrel to achieve the velocity required for consistent elevation at 1000 and if you want a 6.5 you would compete in F Class Open. Don't want to be embarrassed? No one will find fault with you but will you be happy with the score from a sporter length and weight barrel? Competitive shooting is seductive, IMO. First, you will want a good score. Then you will want to win. And your sporter will not satisfy you. But, you have to start somewhere. As for a varmint weight barrel, I have no experience, either personal or as an actual witness to the specific performance of other people but those who brought their sporters to Full Bore club afternoons never came back. There could be a host of reasons for that. Have you tried an afternoon with a Club rifle? Could be an interesting experience and you would meet the people involved, all without spending too much money.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 9:47 pm

To quote Flyer, "centrefire silhouette is pretty much a waste of ammo" is a pretty big statement to make buddy. Do you mean in general or just for you personally. You were the bloke who stated in your post that you were looking to shoot silhouette with it. At which club do you shoot? Perhaps they don't run the match correctly? Maybe you don't do very well at it therefore it's a waste of ammo? :allegedly:
Silhouette is renowned as one of the toughest shooting disciplines around. You either accept the challenge of it or find another game. Don't go rubbishing the sport because you don't like it or can't shoot it. I'll have to tell the 80 odd shooters that attend our Nationals that we are just wasting ammo. :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 04 Jul 2016, 11:09 pm

Flyer wrote:If I wanted a dual-purpose rifle for casual target shooting standing up and lying down, could I get away with a sporter barrel?

Flyer wrote:Centrefire silhouette is a waste of ammo at the best of times, so sporter barrel would suffice for a bit of fun.

Yeah, you must have me confused for someone else. I don't recall wanting to compete in the Nationals.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jul 2016, 6:53 am

Gamerancher wrote:To quote Flyer, "centrefire silhouette is pretty much a waste of ammo" is a pretty big statement to make buddy. Do you mean in general or just for you personally. You were the bloke who stated in your post that you were looking to shoot silhouette with it. At which club do you shoot? Perhaps they don't run the match correctly? Maybe you don't do very well at it therefore it's a waste of ammo? :allegedly:
Silhouette is renowned as one of the toughest shooting disciplines around. You either accept the challenge of it or find another game. Don't go rubbishing the sport because you don't like it or can't shoot it. I'll have to tell the 80 odd shooters that attend our Nationals that we are just wasting ammo. :sarcasm:

I reckon going to a range is a waste of time and ammo! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Jul 2016, 8:14 am

You will rapidly get annoyed with a spotter barrel in Fclass.

If you are going to go that way then set yourself clear goals.

Start with the rifle you want for MSil. Use it in Fclass to develop your hardest hitting load and set your zeros for use in MSil. This might take you up to a season to get them as tight as possible.

Then buy a cheap rifle for fclass. You can pick up an Omark for around <$600. It will get you started for a year or two and then you'll want to start upgrading because everyone blames their kit and not their technique.

On a good day I can keep up with the $5k rifles with my rebarrelled Howa. Best scores at our club have been from a noobie lady shooter with a nice old Omark. She scored 2 or 3 "possibles" this season!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Flyer » 05 Jul 2016, 12:20 pm

Just to be clear, I'm moving location and clubs at the end of the year, so was looking for a rifle to get me by until then with a view to trying new disciplines next year. I shoot and enjoy field rifle mostly and will continue that wherever I end up. I have a decent .22 and my .223 (CZ) is OK for now. Both my rifles shoot better than I do offhand. I also occasionally shoot rimfire silhouette. A decent 6.5 would allow me to shoot centrefire silhouette and, if I continue to improve, would be an upgrade to my .223 for field rifle (something to grow into). It might also allow me to have a go at F class or some other form of prone distance shooting that I haven't yet tried.

If I sound like I'm trying to be a jack of all trades and master of none with three rifles, it's because I'm new to shooting, haven't competed much, and just want to have a go at everything until I find my niche. A decent .22, .223 and 6.5 covers a lot of ground for a beginner. I just wanted to hear from those who own/shoot varmint barrelled rifles offhand, or those who shoot sporter barrels prone to weigh up the pros and cons of each.

Thanks to Gwion for some common sense advice. And to Wm.Traynor for telling me what I'm already starting to realise - that competitive shooting is seductive :mrgreen: Thanks also to Gamerancher. Though I think you need to chill out a bit...

People have been very helpful in this sport, which is why I've been enjoying it so much. One thing I am learning is that if you invest in decent equipment to begin with, you can grow into it and it becomes a much better investment than trying to cheap out. Of course "decent equipment" is also a relative term when you do not yet have the skill set to warrant a huge investment in top-end gear. A T3 Varmint would likely take me a long way in prone shooting. But a sporter would probably satisfy my immediate offhand needs. Hence the dilemma.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Jul 2016, 12:35 pm

Only way to know if a certain rifle is suitable is to shoot one a bit.

My Howa started with a 223rem varmint barrel. It was a heavy sucker and i used it shooting vermin but it was so front heavy. I ended up shortening the barrel and weighting the back end so it balanced really well and picked up an pointed like a dream, even though it was no less heavy than it was to begin with, the weight was just properly distributed for better handling. I think i would easily have been able to fire off 10 shot as accurately as i could off hand with anything else. Anymore and fatigue would set in and i'd get the shakes, i reckon.

Apparently the Tikka varmints are lighter than the Howa but you might be ok. How ever, i stick by my first comment in that you're best to get what you want for MSil first and make do/load develop in Fclass until you can get a more suited rifle.

I did 1/2 a season in fclass with said Howa 223 Varmint with 50gn pills out to 600. Wasn't competitive but got a feel for it, then rebarrelled to 7mm-08 for this season. Still have a heap of way to go with technique and equipment purchases but am happy with my gradual improvements and progress. If you are happy to keep that up, then go for your life. If your club is anything like mine, just be prepared to be told, "you really need this" a lot. I was shooting off a hunting bi-pod until a month or so ago, with which i managed some decent scores (for a beginner).
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Jul 2016, 2:02 pm

That's the trouble with text, it's hard to convey tone of voice. You did specify silhouette as one use of the rifle, hence my reply. Then you reply with your "waste of ammo" statement. Sorry if I took it the wrong way, I didn't see the sarcasm emoticon. ;)
As for others who reckon any range shooting is a waste of ammo, each to his own. I have put plenty of holes in fur over the years, culled over 2000 "hoppers" off one property alone in a 12 month period, walking only, in daylight. Nowadays unless I'm after something to eat or it's a pest causing me a problem, I have little interest in hunting/shooting fur just for the sake of it. I'd rather go fishing, or is that because I'm getting older and sitting down fishing is more comfortable than hiking the mountains hunting. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 05 Jul 2016, 2:23 pm

I'm pretty sure he was having a laugh :thumbsup:
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Jul 2016, 8:00 pm

Gamerancher,
A motorcycle is the most fun you can have sitting down 8-)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Jul 2016, 8:06 pm

Until someone knocks you off it, then the fun part sort of goes out of it. :crazy:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 06 Jul 2016, 11:00 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Gamerancher,
A motorcycle is the most fun you can have sitting down 8-)

You got that right :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jul 2016, 1:48 pm

Got a bike when I first got my "L's". Got hit from behind twice, and bowled off, literally, by a blokes spare tyre bouncing across the road. :o
Bought a ute as soon as I got my "P's".
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 06 Jul 2016, 4:33 pm

You got to get right back on that horse mate.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Flyer » 20 Jul 2016, 11:38 pm

So just a bit of an update. I ended up buying a second-hand Sako Bavarian in .243. It might be marginal on the rams for metallic silhouette, but it gets me in the game and I can use it for field rifle, 3P and other off-hand shooting as a supplement to my .223 on windy days (or when I just feel like shooting something bigger). It was a decent price with a better choice of factory ammo than 6.5x55, as I don't yet reload. I don't think it's done much work, so the barrel should be OK.

I've done a bit of reading about F Class, and it seems a varmint barrel .223 in 1:8 or possibly a .308 might be a good gun to get started, as you can shoot it in standard and open comps, again using factory ammo. One rifle at a time.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Chronos » 21 Jul 2016, 9:03 am

Gwion wrote:You will rapidly get annoyed with a spotter barrel in Fclass.

If you are going to go that way then set yourself clear goals.

Start with the rifle you want for MSil. Use it in Fclass to develop your hardest hitting load and set your zeros for use in MSil. This might take you up to a season to get them as tight as possible.

Then buy a cheap rifle for fclass. You can pick up an Omark for around <$600. It will get you started for a year or two and then you'll want to start upgrading because everyone blames their kit and not their technique.

On a good day I can keep up with the $5k rifles with my rebarrelled Howa. Best scores at our club have been from a noobie lady shooter with a nice old Omark. She scored 2 or 3 "possibles" this season!

pretty much this ^^^^

F class is a prone match which demands a high level of accuracy over 10 (12) shots rifle weight limits are heavy

met sihl is a standing match shot over 5 shots (10 to the line) but lets be honest 2moa is going to knock down anything on the range. it's about shooter skill not rifle accuracy. don't beleive me? draw a 10 inch circle on a ram (2moa at 500m roughly) and see if 2 moa is good enough?

get ANY factory rifle that fits you well in .260 or 7-08 and work up a consistent load and the work on your skills. best to stick with hunter class weight rifles (4.2kg is enough rifle to hold up for 40 rounds let alone an 80 round state or nationals match)

I shot a tikka stainless varmint in 7-08 for a few years. with a VX2 3-9 and a target turret on the elevation turret only it just weighed in to hunter class but was so front heavy it was painfull to shoot. after 20 rounds my left arm was really hurting and it hurt my scores

but shooting f class as suggested get a target rifle with a long barrel. Weight limits are more than double so take advantage of it

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles