Tikka Varmint vs sporter barrel accuracy

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Tikka Varmint vs sporter barrel accuracy

Post by happyhunter » 06 Jul 2016, 4:33 pm

You got to get right back on that horse mate.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Flyer » 20 Jul 2016, 11:38 pm

So just a bit of an update. I ended up buying a second-hand Sako Bavarian in .243. It might be marginal on the rams for metallic silhouette, but it gets me in the game and I can use it for field rifle, 3P and other off-hand shooting as a supplement to my .223 on windy days (or when I just feel like shooting something bigger). It was a decent price with a better choice of factory ammo than 6.5x55, as I don't yet reload. I don't think it's done much work, so the barrel should be OK.

I've done a bit of reading about F Class, and it seems a varmint barrel .223 in 1:8 or possibly a .308 might be a good gun to get started, as you can shoot it in standard and open comps, again using factory ammo. One rifle at a time.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Chronos » 21 Jul 2016, 9:03 am

Gwion wrote:You will rapidly get annoyed with a spotter barrel in Fclass.

If you are going to go that way then set yourself clear goals.

Start with the rifle you want for MSil. Use it in Fclass to develop your hardest hitting load and set your zeros for use in MSil. This might take you up to a season to get them as tight as possible.

Then buy a cheap rifle for fclass. You can pick up an Omark for around <$600. It will get you started for a year or two and then you'll want to start upgrading because everyone blames their kit and not their technique.

On a good day I can keep up with the $5k rifles with my rebarrelled Howa. Best scores at our club have been from a noobie lady shooter with a nice old Omark. She scored 2 or 3 "possibles" this season!

pretty much this ^^^^

F class is a prone match which demands a high level of accuracy over 10 (12) shots rifle weight limits are heavy

met sihl is a standing match shot over 5 shots (10 to the line) but lets be honest 2moa is going to knock down anything on the range. it's about shooter skill not rifle accuracy. don't beleive me? draw a 10 inch circle on a ram (2moa at 500m roughly) and see if 2 moa is good enough?

get ANY factory rifle that fits you well in .260 or 7-08 and work up a consistent load and the work on your skills. best to stick with hunter class weight rifles (4.2kg is enough rifle to hold up for 40 rounds let alone an 80 round state or nationals match)

I shot a tikka stainless varmint in 7-08 for a few years. with a VX2 3-9 and a target turret on the elevation turret only it just weighed in to hunter class but was so front heavy it was painfull to shoot. after 20 rounds my left arm was really hurting and it hurt my scores

but shooting f class as suggested get a target rifle with a long barrel. Weight limits are more than double so take advantage of it

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles