Marlin 1894c in 357 mag

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Marlin 1894c in 357 mag

Post by petemacsydney » 03 Jul 2016, 4:37 pm

OK, so I've moved on from the idea of the cheaper Rossi Puma in 357mag. Been researching all day and the Marlin 1894c in 357 mag looks like what i need/want.
So... do you own one? What do you think? reliability, accuracy, what you use it for (plinking and varmints?)
any feedback is welcome! Keen to hear your thoughts!
have seen some commentary on the inter web about 38 special ejection reliability, have you found that with yours?
Also, anyone know if you can get it in pistol grip instead of the traditional grip?
thanks in advance all !!. cheers p

marlin-1894c-5.jpg
marlin-1894c-5.jpg (670.39 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Marlin 1894c in 357 mag

Post by wrenchman » 04 Jul 2016, 8:51 am

if you find one in 357 buy it i have been looking for over a year here in the states i tryed to order one i dont know if marlin is makeing it i have been looking at the henry steel boy.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Jul 2016, 9:00 am

according to their US based website it is a current production. Maybe they are just not pumping them out anymore. oh well, the search and wait commences for me i guess!
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 04 Jul 2016, 9:51 am

Very nice gun. Very popular in the Cowboy Action crowd, I've only seen them with the classic straight grip. I've only fired guns loaded with 38Specials they're quite comfortable to shoot.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Jul 2016, 10:39 am

nice, lets hope they still import them to Aus!
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 04 Jul 2016, 10:47 am

petemacsydney wrote:nice, lets hope they still import them to Aus!

Your LGS should be able to order for you regardless if you decided to go ahead.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jul 2016, 10:56 am

Pete, If you talk to any dealers as for their best price for 2 cause I want one as well :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TheDude » 04 Jul 2016, 11:06 am

I've got one I've had for a couple of years. Great fun with a red dot. I recommend getting the Wild West trigger happy kit replacement trigger for it. Makes for a nice smooth trigger without the flop of the stock trigger.

Haven't used it with 38 spl so couldn't comment on ejection issues.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 11:11 am

These guns are popular in Lever Gun Silhouette for the pistol caliber event. The fella's who own them like them a lot and do well with them. Be careful buying second hand especially if the action has been "slicked" for Western Action Shooting. Many a good gun f**ked by blokes who "know what they are doing". Seen plenty of guns ruined in this way. Also be wary of ones that have shot a lot of 38 Special rounds. Firing the shorter round in the .357 chamber can leave ring in the chamber, either from erosion or carbon build up.
Plenty of our shooters use the Rossi's and have good results with them. What is your intended use that you have decided that one won't do?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Jul 2016, 11:41 am

ok, didn't think about the ring. yeah i may just load some magnums with less power instead of using specials then to avoid the ring. intended use is small varmints, plinking and general target fun

Brett, plan to make some inquiries this week so will let you know what i come up with price wise :-)

cheers p
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 12:13 pm

Hey Pete, If you want another excuse to own one, have a look at Lever Action Silhouette. SSAA Southern Highlands Branch shoot it at the Bowral Pistol Club range the second Saturday of every month. Its shot out to 100m with open sights and is a fun event. Sending targets flying off the stands with a loud "clang" is very satisfying. Have a look in the SSAA journal in the competition news, NSW, section for contact details or just roll up. They are a pretty good bunch to shoot with and welcome new shooters to the game. There are a lot of Sydney based shooters that attend that club.
Also, with regard to reduced loads, a lot of us use them in our lever-guns and find them to be very accurate and a lot easier on the rifle. Modern guns are built to withstand the pressures of the higher velocity smokeless loadings and do so quite well. One thing to perhaps consider though, these things were designed around black-powder and even the modern guns are still built on those original designs. It then makes sense that they work well at similar velocities.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 2:15 pm

Oh, I forgot to add, we don't play "dress-ups".
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Jul 2016, 2:32 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Oh, I forgot to add, we don't play "dress-ups".

well i was going to ask about that. i don't have any cowboy outfits, so just as well dress up is not mandatory! lol
the wife says she also refuses to 'allow me' to dress up in cowboy clothes...
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 3:16 pm

Too much info about what your wife "allows". :oops: Seriously though, the lever rifle silhouette is the most popular event in the discipline. You don't have to spend thousands on a rifle and then an equivalent amount on a scope to join in. The targets are scaled for the shorter distances but are on the "generous" side. The scoped silhouette can be very off-putting to newcomers because it is bloody difficult. However, new shooters to the sport can put very respectable scores in at first try at the lever rifle event. :allegedly: We have whole families who have taken it up, mum & dad and the kids. I don't think there is another sport where you can stand on the field and compete with/against your kids, standing next to each-other. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Jul 2016, 3:37 pm

sounds like a load of fun. i'm convinced!
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 10:02 pm

Hey pete, If you don't get a rifle soon and want to have a crack, I will be going to a lever rifle silhouette shoot At the SSAA Majura range 27-28th August. More than glad to take a couple of extra rifles and ammo for you to have a go if you'd like. It's a 3 gun event shot over 2 days. You don't have to shoot it all if you don't want to.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Jul 2016, 10:39 pm

Thx for the offer mate, very kind. I'll have a look at what's in the calendar. Got a job finishing the day b4, so timing could be good.
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Berper » 06 Jul 2016, 3:19 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Oh, I forgot to add, we don't play "dress-ups".

Read the disdain implied in those quotation marks :lol:
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jul 2016, 3:21 pm

What? Who, me? :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales