Wood or polymer rifles?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Wood or polymer rifles?

Post by wrenchman » 14 Jul 2016, 2:53 am

i like wood but it is one of the ways they can keep prices down and the synthetic are lighter i hunt from a blind so weight is not a issue.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Jul 2016, 11:55 am

Call me old fashioned, but I've never seen a "plastic" stock that I liked. As for the "more stable" argument, a quality timber stock, finished properly and with the action bedded correctly and barrel floated will be as stable as any other stock material. If you are inclined to bash your rifle around and use it as a walking stick or shock absorber when you get around the bush, by all means get a piece of plastic. No sense wasting a good piece of walnut on someone who don't appreciate it. :D
You won't find plastic that looks this good :sarcasm:
Attachments
timber stock.jpg
timber stock.jpg (82.38 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Jul 2016, 12:06 pm

I do like high grade walnut. But I prefer standard stuff that I can scratch without getting teary.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by oldmateadz » 14 Jul 2016, 2:12 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:I do like high grade walnut. But I prefer standard stuff that I can scratch without getting teary.

That's my main concern haha.
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles