Wood or polymer rifles?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Wood or polymer rifles?

Post by oldmateadz » 11 Jul 2016, 4:30 pm

I'll be buying my first rifle soon. And I'm looking at the Ruger American in the .22LR.
It's the polymer one, and I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions (advantages/disadvantages) between wood and plastic framed rifles?
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Wood or polymer rifles?

Post by AusTac » 11 Jul 2016, 5:37 pm

You'll find you get what you pay for with both, plastic can be good or bad, waterproof tough and won't move with moisture/temperature and requires very little maintainance but once its broken its broken for good, with a cheap rifle you'll get a cheap plasticy most likely flimsy stock.

Wood is usually better looking, requires a bit of maintainance here and there, will move a little bit with temp and moisture but can be fixed within reason if you break chip something wood usually a heavier option also

Each to their own, i have more wood than plastic by coincidence really, i prefer plastic for my user rifles because they get beaten up a bit, but i love my enfields which are wood, but being old they already have dings and scratches, my shotgun brought new always hurts a little when you find a new scratch

My .22 is plastic but lithgow do a good stock
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by oldmateadz » 11 Jul 2016, 6:24 pm

AusTac wrote:
My .22 is plastic but lithgow do a good stock

I did actually have a look at the LA101 Crossover .22LR. Looks pretty decent. And being Aussie made is a bonus. I might have a play with both and see which feels better.
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 11 Jul 2016, 7:35 pm

Fark !!!

Plastic ?

C'mon guys.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 11 Jul 2016, 7:51 pm

Oh god its started.. :p
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 11 Jul 2016, 7:55 pm

AusTac wrote:Oh god its started.. :p

You have zero to add ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by oldmateadz » 11 Jul 2016, 8:07 pm

I was waiting for it haha
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jul 2016, 8:13 pm

oldmateadz wrote:I'll be buying my first rifle soon. And I'm looking at the Ruger American in the .22LR.
It's the polymer one, and I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions (advantages/disadvantages) between wood and plastic framed rifles?

Plastic for me. My rifles are for shooting not for looking at. Plastic doesn't warp, doesn't hold water that causes rust, and doesn't make me cry when I scratch it :-) The poly stock also comes with the additional high comb if you want to use a scope.

I have the American Rimfire Compact.
I like the rifle but I've fired maybe thirty different types of ammo through it and it really struggles to shoot under about 2MoA even with match ammo. I don't know if that's just mine or indicative of them all but I wasn't expecting a tack driver.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 11 Jul 2016, 8:31 pm

Timber. Just seal it well and you won't have the issues of warping as it won't soak up moisture. Also oil not varnish it's easy to tidy up with a bit of emery and fresh oil. And it looks nice.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jul 2016, 8:34 pm

I don't like plastic stocks - they remind me of my Ol m16 which was a pile off s**t too shoot much preferred my SLR heavier but felt right to me. Just buy what floats ya boat mate they all do the some thing at the end of the day.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 11 Jul 2016, 8:34 pm

oldmateadz wrote:

I was waiting for it haha

Weak ...

Sycophantic !

Have a go / make a worthwhile contribution ... please.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 11 Jul 2016, 8:43 pm

Realistically, the only advantage of timber over modern polymers is looks, that's it, period. From a technical standpoint wood is not better than polymer. Yes some cheaper plastic stocks can be a bit floppy, but a good quality polymer/composite stock is better than timber. Timber is however, warm and feels nice, and some nice figure in the wood is beautiful. Can't say I've ever seen a beautiful plastic stock.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by oldmateadz » 11 Jul 2016, 9:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I like the rifle but I've fired maybe thirty different types of ammo through it and it really struggles to shoot under about 2MoA even with match ammo. I don't know if that's just mine or indicative of them all but I wasn't expecting a tack driver.

The shorter barrel might have something to do with perhaps? :unknown:

Also, what made you go with the compact over the standard model mate?
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jul 2016, 9:07 pm

Supaduke wrote:Realistically, the only advantage of timber over modern polymers is looks, that's it, period. From a technical standpoint wood is not better than polymer. Yes some cheaper plastic stocks can be a bit floppy, but a good quality polymer/composite stock is better than timber. Timber is however, warm and feels nice, and some nice figure in the wood is beautiful. Can't say I've ever seen a beautiful plastic stock.

True, sadly most of the stuff offered as standard fitment is on the cheaper side (more profit in plastic crap than timber I would imagine) I call em "Wheelie Bin Stocks" as they look like they are made from recycled wheelie bins! :lol: Personally I like the Laminate stocks better, they look good, are strong and generally fairly light compared to say your more traditional type of wood stocks, you can bed them easier and open up the barrel channels easier on timber compared to plastic too.

If you think you are going to be bashing through the scrub or are hard on equipment then the plastic would be better suited, if you are like me and look after your kit and don't treat it like crap then timber is fine, never had an issue with any of my timber stocks in the 40yrs of shooting and owning them so can't see that changing all of a sudden, mind you I don't go hunting in pissing down rain conditions or other weather extremes for that matter, occasionally get out when it's snowing but not often as I'd rather stay warm and wait for the weather to clear before I venture out :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by oldmateadz » 11 Jul 2016, 9:22 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Supaduke wrote:
If you think you are going to be bashing through the scrub or are hard on equipment then the plastic would be better suited, if you are like me and look after your kit and don't treat it like crap then timber is fine, never had an issue with any of my timber stocks in the 40yrs of shooting and owning them so can't see that changing all of a sudden, mind you I don't go hunting in pissing down rain conditions or other weather extremes for that matter, occasionally get out when it's snowing but not often as I'd rather stay warm and wait for the weather to clear before I venture out :lol:

I'm actually quite anal about all of my belongings, I like everything to be pristine... so the rifle I choose, be it plastic or wood, will get treated like a queen :D

I guess I'm steering more towards a plastic one is because have more of a "modern" look and feel. Opposed to wood being more classic. But thats just my opinion.

I have seen some extremely nice laminate ones too.
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jul 2016, 9:24 pm

oldmateadz wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The shorter barrel might have something to do with perhaps? :unknown:

Also, what made you go with the compact over the standard model mate?

I doubt it's a barrel length problem, I have a 1930's Cooey Ace with 16.5" barrel that is more accurate than the Ruger. My 1950 BSA Sportsman is the most accurate rimfire I own.
Because it's a .22LR, any longer than about 18" isn't beneficial.
When I get the .17HMR that'll be the Standard length.
I would prefer the longer length of pull of the Standard over the Compact but it's not a major issue.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jul 2016, 9:33 pm

oldmateadz wrote:I'm actually quite anal about all of my belongings, I like everything to be pristine... so the rifle I choose, be it plastic or wood, will get treated like a queen :D

I guess I'm steering more towards a plastic one is because have more of a "modern" look and feel. Opposed to wood being more classic. But thats just my opinion.

I can certainly appreciate a beautiful firearm, but it's no good to me if I'm afraid to take it out in the rain, or fall into a creek with it, or bash it against a rock hidden in the grass :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by oldmateadz » 11 Jul 2016, 9:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:I can certainly appreciate a beautiful firearm, but it's no good to me if I'm afraid to take it out in the rain, or fall into a creek with it, or bash it against a rock hidden in the grass :-)

I definitely won't be afraid to take it out, but it will be my first rifle... so like anything new and exciting, I'll be cleaning it and treating it like a princess until I get over it and buy another one haha. Then the second one will become the princess :thumbsup:
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jul 2016, 9:47 pm

oldmateadz wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I can certainly appreciate a beautiful firearm, but it's no good to me if I'm afraid to take it out in the rain, or fall into a creek with it, or bash it against a rock hidden in the grass :-)

I definitely won't be afraid to take it out, but it will be my first rifle... so like anything new and exciting, I'll be cleaning it and treating it like a princess until I get over it and buy another one haha. Then the second one will become the princess :thumbsup:

I understand that :-)
My first rifle was a 10/22 back in '83, and it was indeed a beauty.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Jul 2016, 9:55 pm

I'm a big fan of wooden rifle stocks.

Wood will scratch and dent but I like the feel, weight, rigidity and ballance of it.

I have one rifle in synthetic, a Remington 700 which is not exactly a cheap rifle and that stock is quite flimsy.

As mentioned earlier, plastic has it's advantages , it won't swell and change shape when wet or during times of high humidity which is good for maintaining accuracy.
It won't dent or scratch easily.

The lack of rigidity in a plastic stock is not a concern with .22 hunting rifles.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jul 2016, 10:06 pm

oldmateadz wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Supaduke wrote:

I'm actually quite anal about all of my belongings, I like everything to be pristine... so the rifle I choose, be it plastic or wood, will get treated like a queen :D

too right mate look after them no matter how much they cost or what they are made from :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2016, 1:10 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I'm a big fan of wooden rifle stocks.

Wood will scratch and dent but I like the feel, weight, rigidity and ballance of it.

I have one rifle in synthetic, a Remington 700 which is not exactly a cheap rifle and that stock is quite flimsy.

As mentioned earlier, plastic has it's advantages , it won't swell and change shape when wet or during times of high humidity which is good for maintaining accuracy.
It won't dent or scratch easily.

The lack of rigidity in a plastic stock is not a concern with .22 hunting rifles.

Definitely, I have two Ruger Americans and intend to get a lot more of them in almost all of the short-action calibers. They are generously floated but the stock is flexible enough to touch the barrel when a bipod is mounted at the sling swivel. I put an additional swivel in mine just ahead of the magazine for bipod use.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Jul 2016, 9:50 am

I personally feel that any time a stock is flexible enough that the fore-end can possibly contact the barrel when using a rest or bi-pod, it is going to effect accuracy; no matter what chambering the rifle is in.

The key word to me, here, is quality. Quality doesn't always equal expense but often the two correlate, particularly with synthetic stocks. A rifle in a cheap, flexy stock is going to prove more difficult to get shooting well than a rifle in a cheap timber stock. As mentioned earlier, the timber stocks are easier to bed, easier to sand/scrape/cut away material where needed than a synthetic stock. I would buy a good quality synthetic stock of quality polymer or composite construction but i would never again buy a rifle with a cheap synthetic stock.

What ever their other possible faults may be, i thing the Lithgow CO101 stocks are good quality from what i have seen. Also the Browning t-bolt stocks are good and sturdy; if we are just talking rimfires to begin with.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by tony308 » 12 Jul 2016, 10:17 am

my new howa 1500 308 has the plastic fantastic stock,and a s**t load of flex in the fore end when on the bipod,it grips your cloathing all the time,thats a pain,but I wouldn't go to a timber stock myself,ill take a fibre glass bell&carlson over both
tony308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 12 Jul 2016, 10:58 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I'm a big fan of wooden rifle stocks.

Second :thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 12 Jul 2016, 10:59 am

Not all synthetic stocks will flex like some people are stating. Cheap rifles like the Remington 700 SPS will have a flexy cheap stock where the Rem 40X fitted with the H-S precision stock is solid. It depends on the quality of the synthetic stock. McMillan make synthetic stocks and they are rigid. The CZ527 Varmint Kevlar is another example of a solidly built rifle/stock combo.

You get what you pay for in synthetic stocked rifles.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2016, 12:31 pm

Gwion wrote:I personally feel that any time a stock is flexible enough that the fore-end can possibly contact the barrel when using a rest or bi-pod, it is going to effect accuracy; no matter what chambering the rifle is in.

The key word to me, here, is quality. Quality doesn't always equal expense but often the two correlate, particularly with synthetic stocks. A rifle in a cheap, flexy stock is going to prove more difficult to get shooting well than a rifle in a cheap timber stock. As mentioned earlier, the timber stocks are easier to bed, easier to sand/scrape/cut away material where needed than a synthetic stock. I would buy a good quality synthetic stock of quality polymer or composite construction but i would never again buy a rifle with a cheap synthetic stock.

What ever their other possible faults may be, i thing the Lithgow CO101 stocks are good quality from what i have seen. Also the Browning t-bolt stocks are good and sturdy; if we are just talking rimfires to begin with.

The Ruger Americans are generously floated, but are flexible enough to touch the barrel when supported by bipod at the front of the forend. Shooting over rests though I haven't seen this so I assume it's only a problem due to the leverage exerted by the bipod. For range shooting it's unlikely to be a problem, but for hunting you either need to keep it in mind or mount the bipod closer to the magazine to reduce the leverage.

My .204 and 7mm-08 will both shoot five rounds consistently around 0.5MoA at 100 and 200 yards from a rest so I don't believe the stocks are a weakness despite their flex. Subsonic loads in the .204 start to open up a bit but are still way better than a .22. I haven't fired any factory ammo through the .204 and only seven factory rounds through the 7mm-08 so I can't comment there really, but those seven Federal 150's (the first rounds I put through it) went into less than one-inch at 100 yards. The impressive out-of-the-box accuracy is why I want to get a bunch of Americans in all calibers, with the bonus of interchangeability of parts, including the magazines.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tony308 » 12 Jul 2016, 6:25 pm

composite layup stocks,ie glass and Kevlar are not in the plastic injection moulded basket,there stiff as
tony308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 13 Jul 2016, 11:22 pm

Of the dozen plus long guns I have three have synthetic stocks, Ruger SR-556, Marlin Model 60, and a Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special that I restocked with an injection molded stock nearly 35 years ago. The Marlin is my most frequently shot gun the Remington my least shot..

I love the looks and feel of wood, even the plain as homemade soap wood on the No4k1 and the M-1 Garand have a feel that is warmer than the synthetic stocks give. While the wood on the higher priced guns give an added elegance to them. who does not appreciate the look of a piece of well figured walnut?

I'm thinking that in the future I would like to check out a laminated stock. The heft and feel of wood but with the stability associated with synthetics.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by oldmateadz » 13 Jul 2016, 11:30 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:who does not appreciate the look of a piece of well figured walnut?

I'm thinking that in the future I would like to check out a laminated stock. The heft and feel of wood but with the stability associated with synthetics.

Funny you mentioned walnut, it's my favourite wood. I've decided to get a synthetic .22 (Ruger American) as my plinker to start, then when I eventually get a centrefire it'll be wood (walnut!).
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles