Worst cartridge/rifle you've owned ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Worst cartridge/rifle you've owned ?

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2016, 1:45 am

Fair enough. I went 7-08 over 270 for many of those reasons.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2016, 7:45 am

I still want a 410 for snakes around the house; a cheap little old sxs.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 02 Aug 2016, 7:48 am

bentaz wrote:I still stand by .410 being the most useless mainstream cartridge ever invented

Am totally with you ...

However, 'another' just came to me .... ever tried to kill a rat ( or something ) with ratshot ?.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2016, 9:21 am

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
bentaz wrote:I still stand by .410 being the most useless mainstream cartridge ever invented

Am totally with you ...

However, 'another' just came to me .... ever tried to kill a rat ( or something ) with ratshot ?.

Perfectly good way to ruin a 22 barrel.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 02 Aug 2016, 9:41 am

Try in a Taurus Judge or Smith&Wesson Governor and you might change your mind. Wicked on things that slither and I'd not want to face one in a close quarter shoot out.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2016, 10:00 am

Gwion wrote:Perfectly good way to ruin a 22 barrel.

How does lead dust damage a steel barrel when lead bullets don't?

I was told a few weeks ago by somebody that should know better that shooting birdshot through a rifled barrel will damage the rifling also. Steel shot possibly would if the wad failed and allowed the steel to contact the bore, but unwadded lead shot is not going to harm the steel rifling unless you're shooting it at very extreme speeds, and even then it'll just lead the bore and require a good clean is all. I will admit that a thoroughly leaded bore is a major undertaking to clean but hardly "ruined".

I have every intention of shooting shot through my .45 calibre muzzle loading rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2016, 3:38 pm

Was always under the impression that 'rat shot' was steel. Might be mistaken. Was always told when I was young that rat shot ruined the barrel so all the farmers where I grew up had a clapped out 22 to shoot it in the shed. Happy to be corrected but still wouldn't shoot it in my new 22lr.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2016, 4:09 pm

Gwion wrote:Was always under the impression that 'rat shot' was steel. Might be mistaken. Was always told when I was young that rat shot ruined the barrel so all the farmers where I grew up had a clapped out 22 to shoot it in the shed. Happy to be corrected but still wouldn't shoot it in my new 22lr.

Never heard of steel rat shot but I guess it might exist. Would be even less effective than lead shot is though :-)
The only problem I'm aware of with shooting shot through rifled barrels is patterning. The shot exits the muzzle spinning, so as it separates, each pellet retains that spin and is drawn away from the centre of the pattern. Okay at very close ranges but nothing else.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 02 Aug 2016, 7:02 pm

MattyP wrote:.22 mag. Must have Been conceived purely as penis extension to make an inadequate man feel better about himself. Hahaha
Dose nothing more than what you can achieve with the ever dependable .22lr and at double the price. If the rabbit is at 100yards just stalk in a bit. LOL.

With the invention of CCI stingers, magnum is a waste of time. You need to reach out any further? Get a 22 or a 17 hornet.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2016, 7:27 pm

Heckler303 wrote:With the invention of CCI stingers, magnum is a waste of time. You need to reach out any further? Get a 22 or a 17 hornet.

Stingers go subsonic by about 70 yards or so and accuracy falls apart. I wouldn't consider Stingers to even come close to the WMR in range or accuracy in my experience, and the lead bullet is lighter and less effective than the jacketed WMR.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 02 Aug 2016, 7:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:With the invention of CCI stingers, magnum is a waste of time. You need to reach out any further? Get a 22 or a 17 hornet.

Stingers go subsonic by about 70 yards or so and accuracy falls apart. I wouldn't consider Stingers to even come close to the WMR in range or accuracy in my experience, and the lead bullet is lighter and less effective than the jacketed WMR.

Eh, I hit things past the 70 yard mark with subsonics anyway, and the stinger is more than powerful enough for any rabbit or wallaby (it's best suited on wallaby, just because of the damage it does). I would do as what was said before and just move in closer, come on.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2016, 8:10 pm

Ladies gun, Bentaz.... 'Cause I'm such a delicate little thing....

Actually.... For my wife.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by superkel66 » 02 Aug 2016, 8:10 pm

22 hornet. i K honed it played around with every powder/ projectile combo in a ruger number 3, oh and the 410 i have!
superkel66
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2016, 8:21 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Eh, I hit things past the 70 yard mark with subsonics anyway, and the stinger is more than powerful enough for any rabbit or wallaby (it's best suited on wallaby, just because of the damage it does). I would do as what was said before and just move in closer, come on.

Yep, subsonics are the go for long range. If they start out subsonic then they don't get messed up as they fall back through the sound barrier. All .22 rimfire target ammo is subsonic for this reason.
I use the Stingers too, but they fall well short of the WMR for longer ranges.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by snag » 02 Aug 2016, 10:58 pm

I know it's a personal thing, but I don't understand why so many people dislike the .410? I was always a 12ga man myself - grew up with them and always figured that if you're gunna kill something then do it properly. Then I got a .410 for the missus to use around the house yard and now I carry it on the tractor all the time. Not many pests you can't roll with #6 or #4 shells, and you can even shoot it one handed if you have to. Of course, you've gotta know it's limitations.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 03 Aug 2016, 9:04 am

You can shoot a 12g one handed I was busting clays like that a few weeks ago with my coach gun :-) I've never used a 410 but I've always wanted one just for s**ts and giggles
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Aug 2016, 6:25 pm

A 20 gauge shotgun also seems 'less than adequate'.
I fail to understand the attraction of 'sub-gauges'.
( And, I know some people swear by their 28 gauge guns. )

Please educate me ....
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 12 Aug 2016, 6:28 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:A 20 gauge shotgun also seems 'less than adequate'.
I fail to understand the attraction of 'sub-gauges'.
( And, I know some people swear by their 28 gauge guns. )

Please educate me ....

Can't, go find someone who owns a 20g and ask if you can take it bunny busting. Then you'll know :thumbsup:

Steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Aug 2016, 6:41 pm

Chronos ....

I have owned .410, 20 g, and 12

( still have 12s and a 20 in my safe )

Am still keen to learn ....
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Aug 2016, 7:18 pm

I suspect 20s and 28s are most suitable to blokes / gals shooting gauge specific clay target events.

If an argument persists for using a sub gauge gun in the field .... I suspect such 'perspective', revolves about ... poor / inexperienced 'engagement' with the target.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 12 Aug 2016, 7:23 pm

Lots of baggin' out of the 22 magnum. Wonder how many of the haters have owned one?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Aug 2016, 7:36 pm

happyhunter wrote:Lots of baggin' out of the 22 magnum. Wonder how many of the haters have owned one?

I started my 'shooting life' with a 22 LR, shooting thousands of rounds and maybe nearly as many bunnies / foxes.
I then 'progressed' to a Hornet and then ( very quickly ) to a rimfire Magnum.
Have, during the interim ... Used quite a few centerfires and shotgun gauges to 'acqiuire my quarry'.
I reckon ... the .22 Magnum is way in front, re: price and performance.
Last edited by MR. WINCHESTER on 12 Aug 2016, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 12 Aug 2016, 7:49 pm

Have to agree. I hunted with the 22 magnum for many years and it has quite a power advantage over the 22LR. It's real meat destroyer on bunnies and great on foxes.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2016, 8:08 pm

happyhunter wrote:Lots of baggin' out of the 22 magnum. Wonder how many of the haters have owned one?

I owned a .22WMR and liked it, but the cost of shooting it makes it more sensible to own a centrefire .22 and simply load it down to WMR velocities in my opinion. Back in the eighties I was buying bulk packs of 500 Winchester .22WMR 40gn JHP bullets really cheap and feeding them through my .222 at WMR and subsonic speeds for very cheap shooting, and better accuracy than my WMR rifle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Aug 2016, 8:13 pm

Fark ....talk about 'cheap arse' !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2016, 8:47 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Fark ....talk about 'cheap arse' !

Cost wasn't the reason I was shooting them :-)
I was buying the bulk WMR bullets anyway and using them in my .222 with excellent accuracy, not tack-driving accuracy but better than my WMR was getting with the same bullet. It didn't make sense to me to keep buying WMR ammo that cost _a lot_ more money than my reloads.
With bulk ZMAX bullets (500 for $110 currently) I'm shooting my .204 Ruger heaps cheaper than I can buy WMR ammo and more accurately.
The 32gn bullet on 4.5gn of Trailboss makes 1600fps, 8.5gn makes 2400fps, and both stay under 1MoA - for about 35 cents a round. I bought 100 rounds of Eley Match .22LR this week for 50 cents apiece :-)

I shot nineteen different types of ammo through my BSA Sportsman Five this week and the best were Remington Cyclone and Eley Match shooting almost identical groups. The Cyclones though are only $8 a box.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 16 Aug 2016, 7:43 pm

mine was a h&r handi in 243 it shot pretty well it just wouldnt extract fired cases had to carry a cleaning rod around to get them out pos saying that tho i have another h&r in 22 hornet thats a little tack driver and reliable as
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigtone » 16 Aug 2016, 8:22 pm

12G for anything other than clay targets!
Actually the Bentley pump took that 1 step further. Lost the end of my little finger getting a bit overzealous with the pump!
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2016, 6:58 am

bentaz wrote:
bigtone wrote:12G for anything other than clay targets!
Actually the Bentley pump took that 1 step further. Lost the end of my little finger getting a bit overzealous with the pump!

No way. 12ga is the Swiss army knife of the gun world, it can do anything.

Can't do descent ranges - I had a fox sitting about 120m or so away and no way of closing the distance without it seeing me, normally I would take a rifle too but this time I didn't and that little vixen just wouldn't budge, no matter what call or whistle I used she just sat there tormenting me! :lol:

Furthest I've knocked a fox was around 70m and probably lucky I pulled it up to be honest considering the shot size (BB's), managed to put a couple in it's head and that was enough to drop it after a few steps.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2016, 10:13 am

bentaz wrote:Ok so not a long range option, but it will do anything thats within range from quail for the table right through to pigs n buffalo, IMHO its the most versatile round ever made and the furthest from the worst cartridge ever that you can get.

God yeah it's quite versatile if you use the right loads alright. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles