30-06 Sp

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

30-06 Sp

Post by p3seven » 20 Jul 2016, 8:27 am

I am considering this caliber. for my camel/donkey rifle. Being of an age where muscle tone and bone strength are beginning to be suspect. I would like to test fire one to check the recoil.

Would anyone who shoots at Belmont or Ripley be prepared to let me fire their rifle? PM me and we can organise a mutual time.

Thanks
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 30-06 Sp

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Jul 2016, 10:37 am

Not to hijack but have you considered a Past Recoil Shield. I think they are on the Nioa site.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jul 2016, 11:32 am

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 20 Jul 2016, 12:15 pm

I didn't think there was a perceptible difference between my 30-06 and .308w, and depending on how it's loaded they are pretty much even, according to that chart kindly provided by oldbloke anyway.

It does have a bit of a wallop but certainly not unmanageable. I can shoot them both all day and not have a sore shoulder at the conclusion.

Some of the magnum rounds sound interesting to shoot.
.308w,30-06sp : 18-20ft pounds energy
.460 wby mag : 99ft pounds, have mercy
.600 nitro express: 154 pounds , f&@k
Sorry Brett your 50BMG is a girly 77 pounds.....pansy ;)
Last edited by Supaduke on 20 Jul 2016, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Jul 2016, 12:21 pm

If you're looking for less recoil with that calibre, then theres the 308win, same cal, slightly lower velocities, and accompanying reduction in recoil...

Then the old 30-30, further reduction in recoil (less velocity again, and reduction in range of course)...

Or just stick a big fat recoil pad on the stock.... or on your shoulder, hide it under your clothes so they dont call you a girly boy :sarcasm: :thumbsup:

Chuckies figure are not entirely reliable....I think he might be numerically challenged...plus stealing them from lots of sources doesnt help... eg, 204Ruger / 33 gr / 4225fps / 8.5lb rifle, would have a recoil velocity of 2.3fps (simple conservation of momentum*) so its out by a factor of 2! (claims 4.4) plus there are no units quoted....which helps

m1 x v1 = m2 x v2
therefore
v2 = ( m1 x v1 ) / m2 :geek:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by p3seven » 20 Jul 2016, 1:09 pm

I read all the recoil maths . Thats why l want to try one. 308w does not cut it on camels in all situations that is why l think l need a heavier bullet. There are a million camels out there. We have to remove over a 100, 000 a year to keep pace with their breeding.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 20 Jul 2016, 1:15 pm

i am a big fan of the 06 but i think a 308 will do just about anything you want but if you like it get it .
i like the fact the 06 handles big rounds.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 20 Jul 2016, 1:53 pm

Here's 3 options
1. Muzzle brake can dramatically reduce felt recoil, Terminator brand from N.Z seem to be the goods at the moment.
2. Invite me out for some Camel culling
3. Both 1 & 2
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 20 Jul 2016, 2:11 pm

p3seven wrote:I read all the recoil maths . Thats why l want to try one. 308w does not cut it on camels in all situations that is why l think l need a heavier bullet. There are a million camels out there. We have to remove over a 100, 000 a year to keep pace with their breeding.

Can't these be exported? Not being a greenie, but $$$ help.

I remember reading somewhere that the bloodlines in Australia are highly sought after in some Arabic nations for racing?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 20 Jul 2016, 4:15 pm

brett1868 wrote:Here's 3 options
1. Muzzle brake can dramatically reduce felt recoil, Terminator brand from N.Z seem to be the goods at the moment.
3. Both 1 & 2

X2 :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jul 2016, 4:39 pm

It might not matter to most but the only thing that turns me off the 30-06, .270, .25-06, etc is the long action required for it. In the old military bolt guns that's part of the joy of shooting them, but I think we've progressed to where those cartridges no longer out perform modern short-action equivalents, at least not enough for me to excuse the extra length, weight and bolt throw. An alternative to 30-06 is 8x57mm Mauser which is readily available in any number of milsurp rifles.

I'd go with .308 Win with a nice long barrel, but if that's not hitting hard enough then maybe the Ruger Guide Gun in Ruger's Compact Magnum .300 or .338? Does anybody have experience with the Ruger Compact Magnums here? WinMag performance out of a 20" short-action rifle sounds pretty good.

For recoil put a recoil pad and a brake on and that should make it more tolerable.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Jul 2016, 4:43 pm

bigpete wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Here's 3 options
3. Both 1 & 2

X2 :-)

:unknown: ok.... I never refuse an invite to shoot something :friends:
When are we leaving and what does everyone drink :drinks:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Jul 2016, 4:47 pm

bluerob wrote:
p3seven wrote:I read all the recoil maths . Thats why l want to try one. 308w does not cut it on camels in all situations that is why l think l need a heavier bullet. There are a million camels out there. We have to remove over a 100, 000 a year to keep pace with their breeding.

I remember reading somewhere that the bloodlines in Australia are highly sought after in some Arabic nations for racing?

We have the only wild population left in the WOORLD!! :allegedly: and apparently the Arabs cringe every time theres a news flash about the latest culling efforts.... I think the logistics of catching these big fellas, and the vast range of them makes it a difficult expensive task, I do believe a few are exported though.

They have bred very well and the replacement rate far exceed the cull.....

The meat is tasty :)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jul 2016, 8:09 pm

Bladeracer is right. I have a 3006 and often wonder if the extra weight, bolt length and powder used is worth the gains over the 308. It isnt a hell of a lot only gains are for 180gn or over projectiles.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Jul 2016, 9:54 pm

p3seven wrote:I read all the recoil maths . Thats why l want to try one. 308w does not cut it on camels in all situations that is why l think l need a heavier bullet.

The code of practice for shooting camels says 150gr .308w is the minimum with .300 win mag being preferred.
The Aerial cullers use .308w with 150-165 gr projectiles.

I reckon Krusty has the right gun to take 2 or 3 with one shot.

Try google for "Camel urine for sale' and have a laugh.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jul 2016, 10:20 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
p3seven wrote:I read all the recoil maths . Thats why l want to try one. 308w does not cut it on camels in all situations that is why l think l need a heavier bullet.

The code of practice for shooting camels says 150gr .308w is the minimum with .300 win mag being preferred.

:lol: bear gryles loves the stuff. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Jul 2016, 10:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:

:lol: bear gryles loves the stuff. :lol:

This video on camel urine is pretty good , I suspect this guy could be atheist as a devout muslim will have no problems with drinking camel urine, he even waffles on like the wafflers.
Camel urine is worth more than petrol in some parts of this world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn7JaB9pqew
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by p3seven » 21 Jul 2016, 3:27 pm

bluerob wrote:

There are enough Camels behind wire to supply that market and camel farms like Henbury still went broke. Camels require high heavy rails in yards, cost lots to transport cause they can only use single deck trailers. When I was in NT (2007) it cost $600 per camel to transport them to slaughter in SA. We will have no edible native plants out in the deserts soon as the camels eat. Native limes, Sandlewood, Quandong all the good bush tucker and they wreck trap yards.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jul 2016, 3:39 pm

p3seven wrote:
bluerob wrote:

There are enough Camels behind wire to supply that market and camel farms like Henbury still went broke. Camels require high heavy rails in yards, cost lots to transport cause they can only use single deck trailers. When I was in NT (2007) it cost $600 per camel to transport them to slaughter in SA. We will have no edible native plants out in the deserts soon as the camels eat. Native limes, Sandlewood, Quandong all the good bush tucker and they wreck trap yards.

Who do we contact as recreational shooters, or is camel culling only done by professionals?
I could get out to SA a few times a year to camp out somewhere and knock some over.
What happens to the meat?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 21 Jul 2016, 4:55 pm

We have a CZ with 30-06 and a new recoil pad going on it. If you are in the BNE region we could organise a shoot some time soon, I just need to get the pad fitted properly. And the scope changed…..and…..check your PM's
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harper » 26 Jul 2016, 2:39 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:When are we leaving and what does everyone drink :drinks:

Camel blood! :lol:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal