Henry 45-70 Colour Case Hardened, Range Report

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New toy, Henry 45-70 Colour Case Hardened

Post by sandgroperbill » 24 Aug 2016, 12:02 am

45-70 does interest me, as does the henry. Looks like a fun and purdy rifle
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Tank » 24 Aug 2016, 12:34 am

Supaduke wrote:Any ideas how hot you can push a cast projectile before you need gas checks bigpete? (Not interested in stuffing around with gas checks). Or is it different for each rifle and you just have to check for lead fouling and find your own limit?

It will depend on the projectile. I've used Hawkesbury's 350's (Silverhawks and Blackhawks) over 57gn 2208 and not had any issues with leading in my H&R, Marlin and Ruger.
Preference is for nearly a case full (15gr) of Trailboss with the 405's though!
Awesome fun.....and my kids can use it loaded this way.
Enjoy the new toy!
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 24 Aug 2016, 9:02 am

i have been thinking of getting a henry steel boy in 357 henrys look good i cant find a marlin
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wm.Traynor » 24 Aug 2016, 9:48 am

juststarting wrote:I feel like I am missing something in my gun safe. :D

Me Too :clap: He's got me looking at my LGS :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 24 Aug 2016, 10:08 am

I've decided on a lever action 44mag few hours before I saw the post, this just committed me to it, lol.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 24 Aug 2016, 1:19 pm

Something undeniably cool about wielding and cycling a lever gun. And they just look so balanced and beautiful. Every man should own a lever gun (or two or three or.........)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Aug 2016, 5:03 pm

"and thanks juststarting I've been working out...... Oh you mean the rifle"

:wtf: :clap: :clap: faarkin funniest thing I heard all week.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Henry 45-70 Colour Case Hardened, Range Report

Post by Supaduke » 11 Sep 2016, 10:16 pm

Finally got down to the range today. Weather and conditions were perfect. Cool and dry and only the most gentle of breezes. I managed to get down there at a reasonable hour and set up for a full day of shooting.
image.jpeg
Henry 45-70
image.jpeg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 6121 times

image.jpeg
Henry 45-70
image.jpeg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 6121 times

The 45-70 being the latest aquistion, I was keen to try her out first up. I had a box of Hornady Leverloution and 70 reloads. Reloads were all 300gr hard cast flat nose . Powder was Trail Boss with loads from 13.5gr to 16gr.

Knowing they were all pretty soft loads I decided to start at 16gr loads and work backwards.
Started at 25 meters to work out a zero and just see how it shoots.

First couple of shots barely make paper, shooting way low. These cowboy loads sure do drop. Start dialling up the rear Buckhorns every few shots and start walking it into the bull. Buckhorns are going up and up at this point and I'm still not on target and getting nervous I'm running out of elevation. 2nd last notch and we start making centre. I'm still working out my grip at this point. The 300 grainers are also a bit erratic with 16gr of Trail Boss.
image.jpeg
Henry at the range
image.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 6121 times

image.jpeg
Aiming at blue cross 25m
image.jpeg (780.54 KiB) Viewed 6121 times

Next step was 15gr and straight away groups began to tighten. I was learning where to actually arrange the sight picture for best effect. Once I found the closest elevation point I found having about half the target poking out above the front bead put me bang on. Elevation remained unchanged at 50m.
image.jpeg
25m , dialling it in
image.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 6121 times

image.jpeg
Getting better 25m , 15gr
image.jpeg (544.65 KiB) Viewed 6121 times

About 2 inches or less. Seems the sweet spot is somewhere between 14gr and 15gr, do more load development to go. Satisfied with the accuracy I was getting so far, I didn't want to shoot for groups any more and started popping clays at 50m. I tried a few at 100 but needed more
work on elevation. They certainly start dropping off at 100m.
image.jpeg
100m, aim higher
image.jpeg (876.17 KiB) Viewed 6121 times

The Leverloution rounds certainly pack quite a punch . Shot much flatter than the reloads. Good accuracy , about 1.5 inches at 50m, not bad for open sights. Easily popping clays at 50 and 100m. Ran out of memory on my phone so no photo of that.

Here is a short video of me popping some
clays, 4 shots, shanked one, got 3.
http://youtu.be/8pQeOEK9k4s
25m clay targets. 300gr hard cast flat nose
15gr Trail Boss
Pop.....Pop.......Pop......Pop

And here is a video of my mate shooting some Leverloution.
http://youtu.be/zjwBvHSy2_o
100m Paper Target
325gr hornady Leverloution

Boom......Boom

Overall the rifle functioned flawlessly. Shot quite accurately considering my starting point in
Load development with plenty of scope for better accuracy.

No failure to feeds or eject. The rifle handles and cycles beautifully. Looks beautiful out in the daylight too.
image.jpeg
At the range
image.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 6121 times

Overall an awesome gun, I recommend it.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 11 Sep 2016, 10:54 pm

Them holes :D
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 12 Sep 2016, 10:04 am

Very nice. Trail boss seems to work well with HRBCs, perhaps slightly less than max. You seem to be able to push Westcastings a little faster (with a medium-burn like AR2206H) - I'd try 48.0gns over a Westcastings 405 @ 1645fps.
Last edited by in2anity on 12 Sep 2016, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 12 Sep 2016, 11:46 am

I'm feeling a bit like Homer Simpson and his donuts - Llllgggggggghhhhhh
Last edited by Noisydad on 12 Sep 2016, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Sep 2016, 12:36 pm

Very nice, Superduke... if i ever by a cowboy gun, i think it will have to be a Henry!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Deacon » 12 Sep 2016, 2:01 pm

There's just something about 45-70 that gets me all giddy. I'm currently looking at a 357 lever gun and after seeing this among other things I think a Henry is the way to go. Hopefully one day I will have the time to reload or the money for factory ammunition in 45-70 so I too can put big holes in stuff. Thanks for sharing this Supaduke!
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by in2anity » 12 Sep 2016, 2:41 pm

Deacon wrote:There's just something about 45-70 that gets me all giddy. I'm currently looking at a 357 lever gun and after seeing this among other things I think a Henry is the way to go. Hopefully one day I will have the time to reload or the money for factory ammunition in 45-70 so I too can put big holes in stuff. Thanks for sharing this Supaduke!

The beauty of straight walls is that you can bypass lubrication if you use a carbide die. If you have a big enough progressive press, you can handle every step from start to finish, i.e. deprime->prime->flare->charge->seat->crimp.

And considering most .357s can shoot 38sp, with cast lead and TB, you can get your reloading costs down to 22lr territory at around 12c / round! The ultimate plinking setup IMO!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 12 Sep 2016, 3:45 pm

I can say that the loading tube was not an issue. For hunting you can load 5 in the tube (Henry says 4 ,to avoid over compression of the mag spring I guess) and drop one in the chamber for 6 rounds of 45-70. Nothing that walks this planet is getting up after 6 rounds of 45-70. If it does, the zombie apocalypse has begun and we all know you should double tap the head.

With a little practice, tube feeding is actually very quick. Hold the rifle upside down with your support hand. Twist and slide the tube with your other hand and expose the gate. Grab four shells, clink,clink,clink,clink. They go in very easily. Slide and twist closed, rack, point, fire. I think if I was in a hurry I could do it in about 10 secs.

When shooting off hand I loaded the tube. When shooting off the bag I usually single fed, which was easy to do.

For sh1ts and giggles at the range it's really hard to beat a lever gun. Shooting groups with a scope is fun. But shooting a lever off hand at short to moderate range is a real hoot, especially at some sort of reactive target. I like clays and milk bottles full of water.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 13 Sep 2016, 8:56 am

Love it ! So does it hold 4 or 5 in the mag ? How heavy is it ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 13 Sep 2016, 9:31 am

It will hold 5, but Henry recommends 4.
For occasional hunting use I would think loading 5 would not overly stress the mag spring. At the range I just load 3 or single feed.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles