New Lithgow

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Lithgow

Post by Sam45 » 23 Jul 2016, 5:39 pm

Well I bit the bullet and went ahead and purchased the Lithgow in .22 So picked it up last week and it sat in the safe till this weekend. Arrived at the Range and the wind was picking up. Pretty stoked with the finish and how it ran. How a couple of fail to feeds. I think this was me though as I was going a bit to fast in the excitement. The rifle performed really well. :thumbsup: I have put on a Harris Bi-Pod, non swivel..was waiting for some recoil, never received any lol. Scop is a Leupold VX-R 3 x 9-40 with vortex rings. Probably a bit over kill, though it will serve me well and be a great bunny buster. So after all the posts on here regards to problems..... would I recommend the rifle hell yes. :drinks:

As the wind was up a little I think it will do better yet.

wind.jpg
wind.jpg (54.86 KiB) Viewed 2400 times

50 yard shots.jpg
50 yard shots.jpg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 2400 times

The first target on the left was sighting it in. Went through 5 different types of ammo to see what it liked best. It was a toss up between the 36gn CCI mini mag and the Winchester 40gn hollow points.

100 yd shots.jpg
100 yd shots.jpg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 2400 times

Here is the second target and this was the hundred yard results.

Lithgow .22LR.jpg
Lithgow .22LR.jpg (23.14 KiB) Viewed 2400 times

Now just a nice shot of the Rifle itself.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: New Lithgow

Post by Apollo » 23 Jul 2016, 5:56 pm

They are a nice looking rifle and I have seen some very good results on how they shoot. Well done and if I didn't have my nice 1965 Brno Model 2 I'd think about a Lithgow.

If you like going to the range and seeing how well the Lithgow and yourself can shoot then get a selection of different .22LR Ammo. From cheap to expensive even from sub / standard / high velocity and see what can work best. If you change brands it's best to clean the bore before the next batch and it will take a few rounds to settle in.

I have tried quite a number, like Remington, Winchester, RWS, Eley, Lapua etc and mine likes what I have had and not available anymore in High Velocity the Winchester Power Point (not the new black box) which I have a couple of bricks left for hunting but for Target / Hunting it loves Lapua Center-X and I use that for 200 Yard Target Competition, at 50m it's 5 shots in one hole.

It's just magic when a .22LR finds it's tune with the correct ammo.

Have fun.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TheDude » 23 Jul 2016, 6:47 pm

some good groups considering the wind. I was there this morning but left before lunch as the wind was just crazy
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 23 Jul 2016, 6:54 pm

Apollo wrote:They are a nice looking rifle and I have seen some very good results on how they shoot. Well done and if I didn't have my nice 1965 Brno Model 2 I'd think about a Lithgow.

If you like going to the range and seeing how well the Lithgow and yourself can shoot then get a selection of different .22LR Ammo. From cheap to expensive even from sub / standard / high velocity and see what can work best. If you change brands it's best to clean the bore before the next batch and it will take a few rounds to settle in.

I have tried quite a number, like Remington, Winchester, RWS, Eley, Lapua etc and mine likes what I have had and not available anymore in High Velocity the Winchester Power Point (not the new black box) which I have a couple of bricks left for hunting but for Target / Hunting it loves Lapua Center-X and I use that for 200 Yard Target Competition, at 50m it's 5 shots in one hole.

It's just magic when a .22LR finds it's tune with the correct ammo.

Have fun.

Yes was a bit weary with all the posts here in regards to some of the lads having a few drama's with them and lack of support. Yes I tried a few different rounds in it today. Just wanted to shoot it. Overall pretty happy with the end result. :)

TheDude wrote:some good groups considering the wind. I was there this morning but left before lunch as the wind was just crazy

Yep I left at 11 this morning, was getting pretty bad. Would be good to see what it's like with no wind :D
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Jul 2016, 7:09 pm

100 yards, bottom row, the middle target

The Elevation is Sensational :clap:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 23 Jul 2016, 7:21 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:100 yards, bottom row, the middle target

The Elevation is Sensational :clap:

Thanks mate, yes it was a learning curve for me as pretty much been using .223 and .308 The 22 is a different fish altogether. Should have bought one a long time ago. Can't wait to bust some bunnies with it. :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 23 Jul 2016, 8:48 pm

Well done
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wade06 » 25 Jul 2016, 5:49 pm

Nice shooting, my PTA is in next and i will most likely get a walnut LA101. I was a bit nervous about some feeding and accuracy reports but they seem pretty good now.

If the LA101 goes ok i may even get a LA102 243... the mrs won't even know i have 2 guns :lol:
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 26 Jul 2016, 6:23 am

Got a Lithgow myself and it loves CCI mini mags.
wade06 wrote:
If the LA101 goes ok i may even get a LA102 243... the mrs won't even know i have 2 guns :lol:

That made me laugh, my missus lack of interest allows me to make her believe that my 3 milsurps (a Swede Mauser, Belgian Mauser, Savage .303) are all the same gun.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Norton » 26 Jul 2016, 9:34 am

wade06 wrote:If the LA101 goes ok i may even get a LA102 243... the mrs won't even know i have 2 guns :lol:

Ha ha, that's the way!
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 26 Jul 2016, 11:12 am

Paid a deposit on a walnut LA101 today (first gun)... there were a couple of minor blemishes on the stock finish but it was by far the nicer timber of the two so i will live with it. They are changing the barrel over to the titanium... I will get it next week. :drinks:
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 26 Jul 2016, 11:19 am

Supaduke wrote:Got a Lithgow myself and it loves CCI mini mags.
wade06 wrote:
That made me laugh, my missus lack of interest allows me to make her believe that my 3 milsurps (a Swede Mauser, Belgian Mauser, Savage .303) are all the same gun.

:lol:
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles