Sako 75 vs Sako 85 ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Sako 75 vs Sako 85 ?

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Jul 2016, 9:53 pm

I've looked at various blurbs on both of these and can't see any huge difference.

Have I missed an important point ??????????

Also, who prefers which and why ?
:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Sako 75 vs Sako 85 ?

Post by bobnob » 27 Jul 2016, 9:05 am

The 75 is superseded of course, the 85 a current model. So with a 75 you have to be happy with whatever is available secondhand whether it matches your exact wants or not.

85 is a controlled round feed, from memory the 75 might be a push feed. Important to some people, not me.

Some owners of 85 long actions complain that ejected cases go up and hit the scope when you open the bolt. I've not shot one so cannot verify. Lots of stuff on the web about it.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Jul 2016, 5:00 pm

Thanks mate,
All of which you state makes good sense.
A very interesting point you mention regarding ejected cases from the 85 models.
Has anyone else experienced this ?

I find the overview chart/s that come up when googling the 75 and 85 are difficult to comprehend from a Sako newcomers perspective.
For instance they indicate that " . " is standard, and " + " is optional,,,,, but then show a heap of other symbols which I have yet to find
an explanation of their significance.
Admittedly I am only looking via internet at the moment.
I prefer that first up as you can gain quite a lot of info sometimes,, that helps prevent info overload from overly keen salesmen.

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to any other bits of info from other members.
:thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 27 Jul 2016, 5:15 pm

Manufacturer's websites do not reveal a great deal, regarding the 'nuances' that a prospective owner is more often concerned with ....

I suggest you trawl the internet forums and consider feedback from previous and current owners.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bobnob » 27 Jul 2016, 6:43 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Thanks mate,
All of which you state makes good sense.
A very interesting point you mention regarding ejected cases from the 85 models.
Has anyone else experienced this ?

I find the overview chart/s that come up when googling the 75 and 85 are difficult to comprehend from a Sako newcomers perspective.
For instance they indicate that " . " is standard, and " + " is optional,,,,, but then show a heap of other symbols which I have yet to find
an explanation of their significance.
Admittedly I am only looking via internet at the moment.
I prefer that first up as you can gain quite a lot of info sometimes,, that helps prevent info overload from overly keen salesmen.

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to any other bits of info from other members.

Yes their web site is a little hard to read.

Rest assured that any Sako you buy will be optimised for the cartridge it is chambered for.

You won't go wrong with a 75. A few mates have them and they're good rifles.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Jul 2016, 10:18 pm

Tend to agree with you all,
From what I've seen, read, and heard so far, I got a special sorta liking for the 75 Hunter Blued.

Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Rifle realist » 28 Jul 2016, 12:26 pm

I don't have any experience with Sako 75's ,I have 2 85's a short action in .260 rem and a long action in .338 win mag. They both function as advertised, I have not had any problems with ejecting spent cases from the long action even rapid fire on a big mob of donkeys. The 85's are not a true controlled round feed they only control the round for the last part of the chambering , don't find this to be problem as most of my prievious rifles have been model 700's, the Sako's are much smoother in the action.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles