Zastava and 458win - thoughts, opinions or experiences?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Zastava and 458win - thoughts, opinions or experiences?

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Jul 2016, 3:23 pm

So, I'm toying with getting a zastava m70 in 458 win. Does anyone have any first hand experience with zasties in the larger calibers? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Zastava and 458win - thoughts, opinions or experiences?

Post by Chronos » 30 Jul 2016, 3:29 pm

I've seen a couple shot at the range. only thing i'd say is get it properly bedded, crossbolt added and a pin installed to support the pistol grip so it lasts more than 20 shots

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Jul 2016, 3:36 pm

Nothing first hand but make sure the mount holes are parallel to the bore.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by MattyP » 30 Jul 2016, 4:01 pm

Whether it is a CZ, Mach X, or one of the premium Mauser actions like the Brazilian or Argentinian. Most projects are built with price and availability in mind. The Zustava will Handel the breach pressure of the 458 but their is a reason they are a cheaper. Such as length,strength and production methods of components of the actions.e. full length extraction claw and so on. Purest big bore Mauser hunters will say you will end up a lion turd if you build anything less than the best.
My thoughts Aline with Chronos, do your due diligence in reference to the stock and it will drop a buff no trouble.
MattyP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 30 Jul 2016, 4:08 pm

Zasties are the shizzz :P I was looking for a 458 to go Lott, but decided to go CZ for the longer action(I'm sure the 458 is standard/30-06 length).... and the finish...and the ready made... and the Cz is such a noyyyce rifle...

But I wouldnt knock back a zasty, in fact I'm looking for a 375 Lefty at the moment... but apparently theyre between importers at the present :problem:

I do have a milsurp 8mm with a stock that was formed by a blind fingerless craftsman.....on a Friday arvo.... just before beer o'clock (possibly after).... but it shoots :thumbsup: only basic difference with the military production of yesteryear and the current is the thumb cut-out... and the safety.

Buy it. Shoot it. Dont believe anyone who disparages them. :thumbsup: Theyre etremely good value, at least they were, especially for $460 odd.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Jul 2016, 4:29 pm

Ultimately, if the stock falls apart, i'll get a nice walnut replacement from boyds. I'm more interested in the action and the trigger, and it won't exactly be seeing a lot of action, it would more be a "just because" type rifle i can take out to drop miss piggie from time to time.

Or I may just keep waiting and watching for a nice ruger no. 1 or a european full stock...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Jul 2016, 4:34 pm

But... If I have to get a smith to do work on it, plus replace the stock, etc, the price difference between a zasty and something more premium will quickly start to shrink...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 30 Jul 2016, 9:45 pm

Doesn't matter what you but pretty much all the timber stocks split at the web unless they have a second crossbolt. Have a look at my K98 issues thread and you'll see where they split.

https://youtu.be/OdhYknm448k

Think of you're safety and do it before you shoot it not wait till it breaks. This goes for the wrist pin as well

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Tripod » 30 Jul 2016, 10:00 pm

My young bloke bought one and it is a blast, They are a cheap way to get into a big bore rifle and a ton of fun. The recoil makes it unlikely that you will ever need to rebarrel it.
If you don't reload the price of ammo will kill you.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sandgroperbill » 31 Jul 2016, 12:09 pm

No, this comes with dies, brass and projectiles, and I already reload, so thats an advantage
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by newsteadvic » 01 Aug 2016, 9:47 pm

No experience but there is a good deal on AHN at the moment, cases, dies, projectiles:
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Aug 2016, 10:03 pm

I'd be jumping on that deal... quick smartly :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Aug 2016, 10:37 pm

Thats the one
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Zilla » 08 Aug 2016, 2:08 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:I do have a milsurp 8mm with a stock that was formed by a blind fingerless craftsman.....on a Friday arvo.... just before beer o'clock (possibly after).... but it shoots :thumbsup:

:lol: :clap:
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by snag » 08 Aug 2016, 11:03 pm

Hey Sandgroperbill,
if you get it, please let us know how it goes. I've always wanted a .458 win (just because) and the Zastava is pretty much the most affordable for a s#%ts and giggles purchase. Thanks.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Aug 2016, 11:14 pm

Yeah, I've sent the money off last week, but then I'll have to go through licensing, so it'll be a while before I can bring it home (and always a chance wapol may say no)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm

Oh, and I'll also be reinforcing the wrist and installing another crossbolt before firing it
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Aug 2016, 8:30 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Oh, and I'll also be reinforcing the wrist and installing another crossbolt before firing it

It already has a crossbolt....why mess with it, zasty have been producing firearms for maybe a couple of centuries, not exactly new kids on the block...just shoot it :clap:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Chronos » 09 Aug 2016, 11:31 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:Oh, and I'll also be reinforcing the wrist and installing another crossbolt before firing it

It already has a crossbolt....why mess with it, zasty have been producing firearms for maybe a couple of centuries, not exactly new kids on the block...just shoot it :clap:

Because it WILL split at the web as soon as he starts using it. Recoil drives the action rearward in the stock and pushes the stock apart at the mag well. The solution is to fit a SECOND crossbolt at the web (if you don't know where that is Google is your friend)

Why do you think companies like Sako fit a crossbolt there? Zastava are entry level and I'd take all precautions to protect yourself from their cost cutting

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Aug 2016, 12:22 pm

Reinforcing the wrist is a pretty simple job, installing a second crossbolt shouldn't be too expensive or costly. I'll be pulling the action out to make sure the stock is properly oiled and look at bedding anyway, so may as well.

First priority is to get through licensing, though
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Aug 2016, 1:31 pm

Chronos wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

Because it WILL split at the web as soon as he starts using it. Recoil drives the action rearward in the stock and pushes the stock apart at the mag well. The solution is to fit a SECOND crossbolt at the web (if you don't know where that is Google is your friend)

Why do you think companies like Sako fit a crossbolt there? Zastava are entry level and I'd take all precautions to protect yourself from their cost cutting

Chronos

so if its a used rifle... by your reckoning it must ALREADY be split? or the splitting is imminent, occurs once the second sale is completed ??

I dont need to think why Sako install 2.... I'm not really concerned at all about that... but I suspect it has more to do with expectation... if one spends several thousand on a safari special, one demands an extra cross bolt :)

Onya Stevo, your logic outshines all once again :friends:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 09 Aug 2016, 2:49 pm

If there is a known potential for a failure in a certain aspect of a firearm that i was going to be using for dangerous game, i would certainly be grateful to be warned about it and would address that problem before i went poking a bear with a stick.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Aug 2016, 3:02 pm

I'm thinking i'll keep it unscoped and use it in the bushy paddocks on pigs, but also starting to think about interstate trips to try it on buff. Also tempted to travel interstate with the 06 and try bag a deer (there are a very few small deer locally, but not easy to find as they are so few).

Obviously there is the NT for buff, but would NSW or Mexico be better for deer?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 09 Aug 2016, 4:12 pm

Gwion wrote:If there is a known potential for a failure in a certain aspect of a firearm that i was going to be using for dangerous game, i would certainly be grateful to be warned about it and would address that problem before i went poking a bear with a stick.

Yeah but 1290 knows it all so won't worry when the stock lets go at the wrist and a 5300 foot pound load drives the action back into his face :silent:

Anyone who knows anything about big bore rifles knows that M98 style stocks break at the web. Better to prevent it than repair it imho

But you know how it is with the Internet, you can get banned and come back under a new name but you can't educate a troll like 1290

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Aug 2016, 6:22 pm

You're such a dumb arse.

Read my last post again.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Rifle realist » 25 Sep 2016, 9:15 pm

Hi Bill
How did you go with the .458?
I ask because I have been thinking of upgrading my man card to gold status. I have already rehearsed my argument for WAPOL & was thinking of a Winchester Model 70, head says .416 Rem Mag, heart says .458 Win Mag. Choice was decided for me, my LGS informs no 416 available been on back order for quite awhile, so .458 it is.. Property letter is no problem and I have some great photos of the horn holes in my bull buggy from last years muster. Scrub bulls are worth money at the moment! Before that we used to shoot them out, also the big bull camels get aggressive during the mating season & are hard to stop even with the .338 Win Mag.anyway enough rambling, best of luck with with your application.

P.S. Just renewed my licence, seems we are criminals now, covering letter from the State Crime Portfolio! Don't think I have been so insulted since some one suggested I trade my F250 on a Hilux.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 25 Sep 2016, 9:42 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:I'm thinking i'll keep it unscoped and use it in the bushy paddocks on pigs, but also starting to think about interstate trips to try it on buff. Also tempted to travel interstate with the 06 and try bag a deer (there are a very few small deer locally, but not easy to find as they are so few).

Obviously there is the NT for buff, but would NSW or Mexico be better for deer?

Come down to Vic mate! Plenty of deer to go round!
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Sep 2016, 10:18 pm

Riflerealist, had a couple of unforeseen and rather unfortunate bills pop up (huge vet bills for my 18 month old pup, and wound up having to put the poor thing down. Hurts losing a pup) that drained the bank account a bit, but back on track, now.

I'm currently waiting for my property letter to arrive, and I think I'll also get a cheapie .22wmr at the same time. Also waiting on someone to get a .310 serviceability certificate and permission to co-license, so hoping to get the application into wapol either this or next weekend.

As for justification, pm sent
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by south » 26 Sep 2016, 2:52 pm

Gun-nut wrote:Come down to Vic mate! Plenty of deer to go round!

I'm hoping to get across early next year :thumbsup:
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles