Zastava and 458win - thoughts, opinions or experiences?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Zastava and 458win - thoughts, opinions or experiences?

Post by Chronos » 09 Aug 2016, 11:31 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:Oh, and I'll also be reinforcing the wrist and installing another crossbolt before firing it

It already has a crossbolt....why mess with it, zasty have been producing firearms for maybe a couple of centuries, not exactly new kids on the block...just shoot it :clap:

Because it WILL split at the web as soon as he starts using it. Recoil drives the action rearward in the stock and pushes the stock apart at the mag well. The solution is to fit a SECOND crossbolt at the web (if you don't know where that is Google is your friend)

Why do you think companies like Sako fit a crossbolt there? Zastava are entry level and I'd take all precautions to protect yourself from their cost cutting

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Aug 2016, 12:22 pm

Reinforcing the wrist is a pretty simple job, installing a second crossbolt shouldn't be too expensive or costly. I'll be pulling the action out to make sure the stock is properly oiled and look at bedding anyway, so may as well.

First priority is to get through licensing, though
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Aug 2016, 1:31 pm

Chronos wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:Oh, and I'll also be reinforcing the wrist and installing another crossbolt before firing it

It already has a crossbolt....why mess with it, zasty have been producing firearms for maybe a couple of centuries, not exactly new kids on the block...just shoot it :clap:

Because it WILL split at the web as soon as he starts using it. Recoil drives the action rearward in the stock and pushes the stock apart at the mag well. The solution is to fit a SECOND crossbolt at the web (if you don't know where that is Google is your friend)

Why do you think companies like Sako fit a crossbolt there? Zastava are entry level and I'd take all precautions to protect yourself from their cost cutting

Chronos

so if its a used rifle... by your reckoning it must ALREADY be split? or the splitting is imminent, occurs once the second sale is completed ??

I dont need to think why Sako install 2.... I'm not really concerned at all about that... but I suspect it has more to do with expectation... if one spends several thousand on a safari special, one demands an extra cross bolt :)

Onya Stevo, your logic outshines all once again :friends:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 09 Aug 2016, 2:49 pm

If there is a known potential for a failure in a certain aspect of a firearm that i was going to be using for dangerous game, i would certainly be grateful to be warned about it and would address that problem before i went poking a bear with a stick.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Aug 2016, 3:02 pm

I'm thinking i'll keep it unscoped and use it in the bushy paddocks on pigs, but also starting to think about interstate trips to try it on buff. Also tempted to travel interstate with the 06 and try bag a deer (there are a very few small deer locally, but not easy to find as they are so few).

Obviously there is the NT for buff, but would NSW or Mexico be better for deer?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 09 Aug 2016, 4:12 pm

Gwion wrote:If there is a known potential for a failure in a certain aspect of a firearm that i was going to be using for dangerous game, i would certainly be grateful to be warned about it and would address that problem before i went poking a bear with a stick.

Yeah but 1290 knows it all so won't worry when the stock lets go at the wrist and a 5300 foot pound load drives the action back into his face :silent:

Anyone who knows anything about big bore rifles knows that M98 style stocks break at the web. Better to prevent it than repair it imho

But you know how it is with the Internet, you can get banned and come back under a new name but you can't educate a troll like 1290

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Aug 2016, 6:22 pm

You're such a dumb arse.

Read my last post again.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Rifle realist » 25 Sep 2016, 9:15 pm

Hi Bill
How did you go with the .458?
I ask because I have been thinking of upgrading my man card to gold status. I have already rehearsed my argument for WAPOL & was thinking of a Winchester Model 70, head says .416 Rem Mag, heart says .458 Win Mag. Choice was decided for me, my LGS informs no 416 available been on back order for quite awhile, so .458 it is.. Property letter is no problem and I have some great photos of the horn holes in my bull buggy from last years muster. Scrub bulls are worth money at the moment! Before that we used to shoot them out, also the big bull camels get aggressive during the mating season & are hard to stop even with the .338 Win Mag.anyway enough rambling, best of luck with with your application.

P.S. Just renewed my licence, seems we are criminals now, covering letter from the State Crime Portfolio! Don't think I have been so insulted since some one suggested I trade my F250 on a Hilux.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 25 Sep 2016, 9:42 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:I'm thinking i'll keep it unscoped and use it in the bushy paddocks on pigs, but also starting to think about interstate trips to try it on buff. Also tempted to travel interstate with the 06 and try bag a deer (there are a very few small deer locally, but not easy to find as they are so few).

Obviously there is the NT for buff, but would NSW or Mexico be better for deer?

Come down to Vic mate! Plenty of deer to go round!
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Sep 2016, 10:18 pm

Riflerealist, had a couple of unforeseen and rather unfortunate bills pop up (huge vet bills for my 18 month old pup, and wound up having to put the poor thing down. Hurts losing a pup) that drained the bank account a bit, but back on track, now.

I'm currently waiting for my property letter to arrive, and I think I'll also get a cheapie .22wmr at the same time. Also waiting on someone to get a .310 serviceability certificate and permission to co-license, so hoping to get the application into wapol either this or next weekend.

As for justification, pm sent
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by south » 26 Sep 2016, 2:52 pm

Gun-nut wrote:Come down to Vic mate! Plenty of deer to go round!

I'm hoping to get across early next year :thumbsup:
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles