Who wants a GAU-12 Equalizer....

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Who wants a GAU-12 Equalizer....

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Aug 2016, 3:00 pm

The above is the 4 barrel version fitted to the F-35, awesome 25mm calibre (25x137mm!!) but the accuracy test as installed produces the following test target;

The articles say "Despite firing 55 rounds per second the weapon is surprisingly accurate, grouping almost all of the bullets into a tight circle in the center of this target".....

but..... those holes are 25mm...so the main grid is 10inch... most groupings are inside a 15-17inch circles and the target is only about 30odd metres from the muzzle, call it 40m. Although I'm not au fait .... per se.... with the use of large cal auto-cannons, mounted on supersonic fighter ets, I'd say that pretty crap ac-racy :lol:

15inch at 40m = 37.5in at 100m = ~1m @ 100m = 5m @500m :?

Sounds ok when you consider its blatting pounds of lead at the target, but there are only 180rounds in the mag... which is 3 and a bit seconds at full-noise of 55rps. :lol: :thumbsdown:

Nup. I'm cancelling my order.
I'm old-skooling it with a MIG-15...with a couple of moist nuggets wired to the outside of the cockpit :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Re: Who wants a GAU-12 Equalizer....

Post by Supaduke » 01 Aug 2016, 3:19 pm

I took mine back, too much stock flex
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Aug 2016, 3:22 pm

I would think the gun is probably designed to spread the rounds a bit, it'd be a hell of a waste if every shell goes through the one hole, much better to spray them across an area if you're spending so many millions getting the rounds to the target.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Aug 2016, 3:41 pm

Well.... there's no better way to deliver a 1.0Cal (25mm) bullet than with a 100Million dollar gun :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 01 Aug 2016, 3:49 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Sounds ok when you consider its blatting pounds of lead at the target, but there are only 180rounds in the mag... which is 3 and a bit seconds at full-noise of 55rps. :lol: :thumbsdown:

Nup. I'm cancelling my order.
I'm old-skooling it with a MIG-15...with a couple of moist nuggets wired to the outside of the cockpit :thumbsup:

It's been a long time since a gun like that was used to shoot down another plane.
Dogfights are the old fashioned way of doing it.

As long as we don't run out of these then no worries. :drinks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-120_AMRAAM
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 01 Aug 2016, 4:20 pm

At least with the Air Forces' F-35A the gun is integral to the aircraft. In the Navy and Marine Corp aircraft it is a external store option.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 01 Aug 2016, 4:23 pm

Probably legal to purchase over the counter .... in Texas, or somewhere nearby.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 01 Aug 2016, 4:27 pm

' i need it for home protection '
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Aug 2016, 6:37 pm

AusTac wrote:' i need it for home protection '

just dont put that on the pta....write hunting, game.... big game.... very big? ;)

I reckon a PTA might even get through, they'll read 25 and thing its perhaps a 25-06 wildcat of some description. Given that these guys in the registries are experts in firearms :allegedly: :sarcasm:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Centerfire rifles