Big guns for SA

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Big guns for SA

Post by brett1868 » 02 Aug 2016, 4:18 pm

That round cost me $17.05 which is why I save them for special occasions such as yesterday, I got another year older yesterday so I spent the night loading these beauties :)

Anyway...back to the original topic...I'm still convinced the best option is 300WinMag as there's just much more availability of components and load information. OOW, I have a sheet of loads I tested in the Steyr that I'm happy to share with you if 300WinMag gets the nod so you'll have somewhere to start load development.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2016, 4:26 pm

Happy bday, Brett.

To the OP. When you say, 'long range on pests'..... What pests exactly and what would be long range? That might go some way to determining what cal and cart for yourself. Not that I know ****** about it but that is two questions I'd be answering for myself. We talking goats and such or donkeys and camels at long range???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Aug 2016, 4:49 pm

Gwion wrote:Happy bday, Brett.

To the OP. When you say, 'long range on pests'..... What pests exactly and what would be long range? That might go some way to determining what cal and cart for yourself. Not that I know ****** about it but that is two questions I'd be answering for myself. We talking goats and such or donkeys and camels at long range???

500 yards out to 1000 yards and possibly further skills permitting.

I'll only be limited to whatever I can humanly kill with a given retained energy.
I have access to all pests.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2016, 5:24 pm

Well, with my limited knowledge, I'd be saying 338mag if going donkey/camel and 7mmRM or 300RM (or the 7mm 'practical magnum' wild cat from NZ: can push 190VLD at 3000fps http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowled ... tical.html) for up to goat size critters.

Purely saying bigger cal for bigger animal.

2 bob's worth.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Aug 2016, 6:19 pm

Happy Birthday for yesterday Brett :drinks:
brett1868 wrote:
If you can get to Mildura this Friday / Saturday you can try a 50BMG and a .416 Barrett or if you can definitely get there I'll pack the Weatherby so you can see if that'll work for you. If I could get more time I'd head over to Ceduna but unfortunately Mildura is the closest I can get to S.A this year.

I really appreciate the invite.
Shooting a .50 BMG would be a the experience of a lifetime for me but unfortunately there is no way I could make it out to Mildura this weekend.
brett1868 wrote:I'm still convinced the best option is 300WinMag as there's just much more availability of components and load information. OOW, I have a sheet of loads I tested in the Steyr that I'm happy to share with you if 300WinMag gets the nod so you'll have somewhere to start load development.

How do you think the .300 RUM compares to the .300 WinMag for performance, availability of components and load information?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 02 Aug 2016, 6:26 pm

Pretty sure you can own 375 hh and such still
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 02 Aug 2016, 6:28 pm

Simple enough...take all the suggestions so far and run some basic ballistics graphs to see which hits hardest at the ranges you're looking to shoot at. Punching paper at 1000m meters is way different to achieving an ethical kill. It'll probably boil down to your budget, Availability of brass / projectiles, Ballistics and what takes your eye. I've certainly been guilty of buying something based purely on how it looked / felt and thinking of the rest later. I've also done the opposite and bought purely on performance with no consideration on how it looked.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2016, 6:39 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:500 yards out to 1000 yards and possibly further skills permitting.

I'll only be limited to whatever I can humanly kill with a given retained energy.
I have access to all pests.

In my opinion, the range limit is more down to how quickly you can reach the injured animal to ensure it is dead or to finish it off, or even worse, to follow a blood trail looking for it. If your interest in long range shooting is simply whether you can accurately place the shot then shoot at targets that don't care if you miss by a couple of inches or more.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles