Buying a .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Buying a .223

Post by scotty87 » 21 Aug 2016, 7:43 am

Tikka real challenge for its t3x will be against the new entry level sauer 100. You can get them for around $1300 with two mags.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Aug 2016, 8:19 am

Good point mate, they seem quite popular the Sauer's.

This one looks like a nice little outfit too.
http://www.sauer.de/en/products/bolt-ac ... tures.html
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Tank » 21 Aug 2016, 12:35 pm

happyhunter wrote:
Perhaps it's better the Howa guys and us Tikka guys leave it at that.

Cheap sh*t.

Not a 'happyhunter'.......
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Aug 2016, 12:36 pm

Some cheap options from HPGS

http://www.hpgs.com.au/#!specials/c21om
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wes » 22 Aug 2016, 10:39 am

Tank wrote:Not a 'happyhunter'.......

Yeah but CrankySod doesn't have as nice a ring to it :lol:

:friends:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 22 Aug 2016, 12:28 pm

Wes wrote:

Maybe - 'Blokewithgoodtaste' ? Lol
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 22 Aug 2016, 6:21 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
Wes wrote:

Maybe - 'Blokewithgoodtaste' ? Lol

Now that's more like it.

Maybe it's cos most the blokes on this forum are relatively new to guns they wouldn't know, but I'm sure there are a few people here that remember just how cheap the T3s were when released as the 'new' model. They were cheap to buy because they are cheaply made but some how with all the marketing hype followed a huge markup, and a healthy margin is why the dealers started pushing them.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 22 Aug 2016, 6:30 pm

Cheap doesn't always mean sh@t.

I can think of others that fit that category more suitably.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 22 Aug 2016, 6:44 pm

It's all relative. Tikka would be a nice rifle for 5 or 6 hundy. What they retail at is criminal.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 22 Aug 2016, 6:50 pm

True ....

Which has the Sako price of 2 Grand - RIDICULOUS !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 22 Aug 2016, 7:05 pm

scotty87 wrote:Tikka real challenge for its t3x will be against the new entry level sauer 100. You can get them for around $1300 with two mags.

I'm actually looking at the Sauer 100. Had 2 Tikkas a 308 and a 223. Both gone. Howa 1500 in varmit S/S .223 awesome rifle. :thumbsup: Even a couple of my mates bought them and they shoot the same as mine. Under 1/2" moa @ 100 :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 22 Aug 2016, 7:12 pm

happyhunter wrote:It's all relative. Tikka would be a nice rifle for 5 or 6 hundy. What they retail at is criminal.

Totally agree... Particularly when you start talking their species up varmint versions.

Wish I had the cash to get a Sako a few years ago when they could be picked up for the same price as the Tikka CRT is going for now. $2.4k for a Sako hunter or varmint now. I could almost build a custom rifle on a Montana action for that price. I really think the Finns build some great stuff but that is getting exxie!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Aug 2016, 7:27 pm

Sam45 wrote:
scotty87 wrote:Tikka real challenge for its t3x will be against the new entry level sauer 100. You can get them for around $1300 with two mags.

I'm actually looking at the Sauer 100. Had 2 Tikkas a 308 and a 223. Both gone. Howa 1500 in varmit S/S .223 awesome rifle. :thumbsup: Even a couple of my mates bought them and they shoot the same as mine. Under 1/2" moa @ 100 :thumbsup:

Those Sauers look great and have some great features at a reasonable price too I wouldn't mind one either :D

Why did you sell the ticklers mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 22 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm

3 plus for a Sauer ?

( Similar to a base grade Cooper )

I don't get it !!!
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 22 Aug 2016, 8:03 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Sam45 wrote:

Those Sauers look great and have some great features at a reasonable price too I wouldn't mind one either :D

Why did you sell the ticklers mate.

Not suited to what I was doing. The .223 was a Hunter and I do a lot roo culls, it just heated up too quickly and accuracy came into play.Nice rifle without a doubt.I think overpriced a little too.Just the wrong tool for the job. The Hunter's stock was awesome. Very accurate rifle out of the box. The Howa was way cheaper than a Tikka varmint. The synthetic stock on the tikka varmint is horrible to me and was really hollow. Seemed really cheap. The Howa in S/S with the heavy barrel has shot brilliantly out of the box. Blew me away actually, pardon the pun.It's a cheap rifle. It groups and shots like a lazer all day and night. Oh and the top loading :thumbsup: The hogue stock for that one is perfect. Feels solid.

The .308 was just sitting in the safe doing nothing. So sold it and bought a .22 Lithgow. (with no issues lol ) So now it is the big toss up for my .270 another Howa with a Boyds stock or an entry level Sauer for about $1350.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Aug 2016, 8:55 pm

Thanks for that Sam. We all learn from doing (best way IMHO) we can all read as much as we like but doing will show you the best way.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KaoTiC TaiPaN » 27 Aug 2016, 2:53 am

Hi Macca. There are a number of manufacturers that have very nice rifles at very reasonable prices. My girls both own a Howa mini light in 223 and at just over $500.00 were great first rifles for them. I own a Remington 700 SPS tac in 223 and could not be happier, a straight shooter right out the box. I teamed it with a Vortex Crossfire scope in 4-12x44. All up my set up came in around $1200.00 with rail and rings included.
KaoTiC TaiPaN
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macca666 » 14 Sep 2016, 9:27 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away.
Your contributions and advice are much appreciated.

Craig
Macca666
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles