Single Action Sydney - School me

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Single Action Sydney - School me

Post by sakoBC » 16 Aug 2016, 6:27 pm

Had a light bulb moment on the weekend watching a few Sunday afternoon Westerns – Single action shooting would be fun!

Searching around the net (gun shops, used guns, forums, SASS, CASS) lead me to the conclusion that trying to get a Uberti 1858 New Army Colt and a companion lever gun would be difficult and expensive. There were comments about waiting months for guns to arrive from the US. Reloading appears to be a must, but then that will come at a cost (progressive press etc.), and it appears that there are very few SAS/CAS ranges in Sydney (Blacktown and St Marys?). Have I got this wrong?

Just interested to understand if the fantasy will be shattered by the harsh reality of trying to get SAS equipment and shoot single action in Sydney. Cheers.
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Single Action Sydney - School me

Post by GLS_1956 » 16 Aug 2016, 8:08 pm

I shot Cowboy Action for a number of years. I had to drop out when the matches were moved from Saturdays to Sundays. My handguns were a brace of Ruger's polished stainless steel original Bisley Vaqueros in 45 Colt. The nice thing about the Cowboy Action Shooters is how it seems everyone is willing to let everyone else give their guns a try. The Uberti replica of Remington's 1858 revolver is a really nice gun, but it is a cap and ball gun not a cartridge gun. When comparing the Colt cap and ball guns, 1851 Navy and 1860 Army, to the Remington I prefer the Remington with its top strap. I think the top strap design is a bit stronger and I can assure you that the sights are easier to pick up than the notch in the Colt's hammer.

In addition to a pair of handguns you'll need a pistol calibered long gun, lever of pump, and a shotgun double barrels are the most common but Winchester 1887s or their clones, these are lever actions, are seen and in the USA Winchester Model 97s are quite popular but those are pump guns not available to you Australians.

Reloading of ammunition is not mandatory but it makes the sport much more affordable especially if you can cast your own bullets. Also if you want to "win" the matches you will need to be able to load up the supper weak wimp loads that are so common in competition here in the USA. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that there are people who have down loaded the cartridges so far that bullets get stuck in bore and that when fired you can see the bullets in flight. This may let you win matches, but to me it spoils the romance of the game.

But Cowboy Action Shooting is fun, the majority of the people are great guys and gals. And yes it's fun to dress up and to have a moniker to go by as well.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by sakoBC » 16 Aug 2016, 9:08 pm

GLS_1956 wrote: Also if you want to "win" the matches you will need to be able to load up the supper weak wimp loads that are so common in competition here in the USA. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that there are people who have down loaded the cartridges so far that bullets get stuck in bore and that when fired you can see the bullets in flight. This may let you win matches, but to me it spoils the romance of the game.

Thanks for the insights. I definitely wasn't looking to win any competitions. My plan would be to move through the course of fire slow enough to enjoy the experience but not slow enough to annoy the other competitors. No down loading for me :thumbsup:
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 17 Aug 2016, 12:59 am

the last end of trail shoot that is the largest sass shoot here in the states was won by a australian
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Aug 2016, 8:04 am

There is an active Single-Action group that shoot at Bowral Pistol Club. Alternatively, if you want to just shoot cowboy lever guns without the need to "dress-up" they shoot lever gun silhouette there the second Saturday of every month. The range is at the back of the Belangalo State forest, 1-1&1/2hrs from Sydney.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Aug 2016, 12:04 pm

sakoBC wrote: Thanks for the insights. I definitely wasn't looking to win any competitions. My plan would be to move through the course of fire slow enough to enjoy the experience but not slow enough to annoy the other competitors. No down loading for me :thumbsup:

No one will ever complain about the time you take at the line. that ain't the "COWBOY WAY". Everybody is out to have fun and the more shooters the better. I assure you that people will give you all the support they can. When I shot I had some of the fastest shooters cheering me and other slow shooters and they were also glad to give ant tips to help one shooting.

Something you'll find is how much the playing and dressing up is. You can dress like someone who really dresses link an 1875 cowboy or you can dress like someone who looks like how Hollywood wanted people in 1968. I'm warning you, it's addictive. In a good way.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by sakoBC » 17 Aug 2016, 12:51 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:No one will ever complain about the time you take at the line. that ain't the "COWBOY WAY". Everybody is out to have fun and the more shooters the better. I assure you that people will give you all the support they can.

Thanks mate, sounds like my kind of people.

Gamerancher, thanks for the tip on Bowral. I bit of a hike, but it could work if I practice lever gun and pistol at St Marys and head down to Bowral once a month (depending on how often they shoot). I will keep digging around. Cheers
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by thebear » 17 Aug 2016, 1:06 pm

I shoot Western Action at Blacktown Pistol Club. We shoot on the second Saturday of each month. It can be as cheap or expensive depending on how you want to go about it.
You need two handguns, a pistol caliber rifle and a none ejector shotgun. Then a set of holsters and a ammunition belt for the shotgun. We are not fussy on what you wear but a cowboy hat is mandatory. The best handguns to buy are the Ruger Vaqueros. Rifle is your choice as there are many out there but much be a pistol caliber. With shotguns a cheap side by side will do.
It is a lot of fun and we will always help a new shooter. You will need about 120 pistol rounds and at least a dozen shotgun rounds so reloading is a must.
You will have to register an alias with the Australian SASS also.

Send me a PM if you are interested.
thebear
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sakoBC » 17 Aug 2016, 2:26 pm

thebear wrote:I shoot Western Action at Blacktown Pistol Club. We shoot on the second Saturday of each month. It can be as cheap or expensive depending on how you want to go about it.

Thanks Bear, just the info I was after. Sounds like this could be a winner. I'm just in the process of investigating the pistol licence process and will be in touch when I can find the time to get out to one of your shoots. Thankyou for responding.
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 17 Aug 2016, 10:29 pm

Gamerancher wrote:There is an active Single-Action group that shoot at Bowral Pistol Club. Alternatively, if you want to just shoot cowboy lever guns without the need to "dress-up" they shoot lever gun silhouette there the second Saturday of every month. The range is at the back of the Belangalo State forest, 1-1&1/2hrs from Sydney.

Ivan liked to dress up and go to Belangalo :D
Ivan.jpg
Ivan.jpg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 17 Aug 2016, 11:52 pm

not to hijack the post but can you guys shoot the black powder revolvers with a conversion cylinder
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Aug 2016, 7:56 am

Yeah thanks Brett. It always invokes a comment when you tell people where it is. :lol:
I grew up in the district, the forest was always somewhere to go and shoot, pre-1996 of course.
Ivan obviously thought he had it to himself afterwards. :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles