newish shooter needs advice...

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

newish shooter needs advice...

Post by Angel » 24 Aug 2016, 8:36 pm

Hello peoples.
ive been shooting a couple of months now after inheriting my grand dads rifles. 2 of them are busted and apparently beyond repair. So im left with the 1906 .22 cal winchester pump action. So its time to buy a new bunny gun (I think thats what you guys all call them :0p) and my question is this... im gonna stay with .22 cal I dont want anything bigger but what are the benefits/downfalls between a new pump action, leaver action and bolt action. I know its probably a loaded and massivley "how longs a piece of string" question, but im after your honest opinions. Thanks in advance....
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: newish shooter needs advice...

Post by AusTac » 24 Aug 2016, 9:01 pm

Your going to get 100 different answers to the same question, but its all down to personal preference, pump and lever are harder to clean than a standard bolt action, a lever would be a pain in the ass if you like prone, bolt traditionally holds 5ish rounds from factory, you'll get more out of a lever/pump with a tube mag thats really all i can think of at the moment, i like the tried and true bolt action but they all have there place
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by juststarting » 24 Aug 2016, 9:36 pm

Lever and pump for fun, bolt for taking care of dinner :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Aug 2016, 10:25 pm

Do you want the option of being able to run a scope?

Bolt-action for my money.
Have you looked at .17HMR? It's a significant step up over .22LR, especially in accuracy, but runs at the same chamber pressure. It is a lot more expensive to shoot though, and rules out any tube-fed pump or lever-action due to the pointed bullets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 24 Aug 2016, 11:21 pm

Henry do a 17HMR in a lever and pump.... Just saying :) I'm a bit biased towards Henrys .

Bolts are generally a bit more accurate, Pump and Levers are certainly hunting accurate. Bolts would only have an edge punching paper. Pumps and Levers are very tactile and enjoyable to cycle and shoot , which may or may not be of interest if chasing best accuracy.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 24 Aug 2016, 11:47 pm

Honestly, for the most part, its just personal preference, at least as far as hunting goes.

Me, I'm a bolt guy. Levers have their place and can be fun, I'm not keen on pumps. But that's just me.

My advice? Go to your lgs and play with a few, see what you like. Just don't dry fire.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 24 Aug 2016, 11:55 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:...Go to your lgs and play with a few, see what you like. Just don't dry fire.

A friend came over to take a look at the lever action .22. He's in the market for one.
He dried fired it.
He knew he did wrong.
He looked at me.
I looked at him.
We never spoke of this again.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 24 Aug 2016, 11:58 pm

I love your writing style, js.

Just sayin...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 25 Aug 2016, 12:04 am

Best solution...buy 1 of each and spread the joy of shooting amongst the family :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Aug 2016, 12:07 am

juststarting wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:...Go to your lgs and play with a few, see what you like. Just don't dry fire.

A friend came over to take a look at the lever action .22. He's in the market for one.
He dried fired it.
He knew he did wrong.
He looked at me.
I looked at him.

I'm not a fan of dry-firing anything, but I thought most, if not all modern rimfires are dry-fire safe?
I know the 10-22 is.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Aug 2016, 12:14 am

Rugers are safe to dry fire, but a lot of brands aren't, and a lot of lgs' just plain don't like people dry firing, so I avoid it.

I have no issues with people dry firing my rugers, but my other rifles are a different matter.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 25 Aug 2016, 7:25 am

bentaz wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Best solution...buy 1 of each and spread the joy of shooting amongst the family :D

Yeah if you look at the fact you already have a fun little pump, grab a cheap second hand bolt gun and a second hand lever action, shoot the hell out of all three and decide for yourself which one you like most and then save up and get a good/new one of those.
Normally here is where i'd advise you to get a shotgun instead but I've learned lately that they're useless and 300 win mag is probably your best choice for rabbits :thumbsup:

300win mag only for the little ones or under 100m with good shot placement. Will take a rabbit, barely, make sure you headshot or they will shake it off and hop away.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Elek » 29 Sep 2016, 1:48 pm

juststarting wrote:A friend came over to take a look at the lever action .22. He's in the market for one.
He dried fired it.
He knew he did wrong.
He looked at me.
I looked at him.

lol.

In years to come this is going to become a famous poem :lol:
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by deadkitty » 30 Sep 2016, 7:42 am

Try the different styles and see which you like best, my preference has always been a bolt action repeater i.e. one with a magazine, easier to clean, maintain and usually (not always) better accuracy also no problems if you use sub sonic ammo as I used to, but I'm old enough to have used .22lr shorts....geez I'm getting old.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 30 Sep 2016, 8:27 am

bentaz wrote:Normally here is where i'd advise you to get a shotgun instead but I've learned lately that they're useless .....

Wash you mouth, then take yourself to the naughty corner !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles