Advice for 44 lever action

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Advice for 44 lever action

Post by juststarting » 24 Aug 2016, 9:45 pm

So... I am looking at 44mag lever action rifles :o

So far I am thinking (only because that's what I've read) either Marlin or Rossi. Marlin seems to be everybody's darling, but I am not seeing anything above and beyond about it other than the established brand. I haven't seen any Winchesters for sale, I'd consider that too.

In terms of looks, I like all of them. As for quality, accuracy and everything else, I don't know.

Please educate and help me with decision making. :)

Thanks

---
updated

also maybe a .45LC - not sure about it vs 44MAG yet, haven't done enough reading yet.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Advice for 44 lever action

Post by Noisydad » 24 Aug 2016, 10:35 pm

Maybe consider the .44-40 with its slightly longer case than a .44 mag. Might give you more options as to availability of rifles.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 24 Aug 2016, 10:49 pm

If you want top end of town you want to look at pedersoli's . Middle of the road Winnies , Marlins , Henry. All same same really in accuracy and quality . I think it's more a case of what style do you like most. You wouldn't go wrong with any.

Mossberg 464 is a mixed bag. Don't know much about Rossi and Uberti levers, but haven't heard anything bad. I would just pick the one you find is the best looker.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 24 Aug 2016, 11:41 pm

Supaduke, that's good to hear - makes choosing easier. I am definitely after the middle of the road options... Noisydad, however, had to throw 44-40 into the mix which looks interesting and now I need to do more reading :/ will need to consider how available ammo is for each in VIC and prices... Probably won't be reloading for that caliber. Then again, who knows, seems like a very easy case to handload.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 25 Aug 2016, 12:01 am

I have a new model Marlin, once some of the sharp edges have been cleaned up with a Dremel along with a little polishing of the action they are a nice rifle. I've found that the edge of the lever where the back of your knuckles touch has a sharp edge to it which after several shots gets a little painful. If you do go the Marlin path then I highly recommend the S/S version so you're not worried about the blue if Dremel intervention is required. I chose Marlin because of my eyes not being the best with open sights and the Marlin has a predrilled and tapped receiver ready to accept a picatiny rail.....
Or you can forget the rifle and get into pistols....

Picked this baby up on the way home from work this afternoon :D
IMG_2616.JPG
S&W Performance Center 629 Hunter 44Mag
IMG_2616.JPG (139.84 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Aug 2016, 12:04 am

If I ever get to Sydney, I think I needto visit you...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 25 Aug 2016, 12:50 am

sandgroperbill wrote:If I ever get to Sydney, I think I needto visit you...

Admission to the man cave is a 6 pack of Coke Cans (cold) which is a bargain when compared to the entry prices of a lady's cave :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Aug 2016, 7:40 am

What is your budget? New or second-hand? What do you intend to use it for, competition, hunting or just plinking?
Your question is a bit like asking "what sort of car do you recommend"? :unknown:
I use lever guns a lot both for competition and hunting. Have seen just about every one available on the line. Some are good, some not so much.
Narrow it down a bit and I'll give you my recommendations. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 25 Aug 2016, 7:48 am

Gamerancher, second hand is fine by me. Prefer to stay within $900 mark. I'll most likely put peep sight on it, though a red dot it's not out of the question. Use - plinking and hunting.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Aug 2016, 8:28 am

Saw a couple of '94 Winchesters on "Usedguns" in .44mag. I've got one of those. Not a bad gun, was a mates pig gun for years. I've hunted with it, pigs and goats. It has been re-barreled with a 24" and I use it regularly for Lever-action Silhouette. Short range calibre, so open sights or peep are all you'll need. If you want to mount a scope or red-dot, go for a Marlin, the're just a bit thin on the ground second hand. It's a bit of a "Ford Vs. Holden" argument between those two.
The new Miroku built Winchesters are angle eject and can wear a scope with no trouble. The new Marlins built by Remington went through a stage of being pretty crappy but they seemed to have sorted that out. Both new will set you back upwards of $1500.

Then there are the Model '92 Winchester clones, based on the smoothest lever action ever designed. ( Thanks, Mr J M Browning)
Rossi's are a bit up and down in quality, some are crackers, others........ Have seen nothing but heart-ache with Chiappas (crappers as their owners say) look good but tend to be unreliable.

Never seen anyone using a Mossberg, here or in the U.S, in competition. That might be an indicator for you on that.
Henry owners tend to be happy with their rifles, bit of a Marlin 336 clone. Warranty is good. Don't see any second hand though.
Uberti make quality replicas of old guns and make a '73 Winchester copy but I think they are a bit out of your price range. ( Check out Noosa Shooters Supplies, nice pistol-grip '73 in .45LC )
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Aug 2016, 10:37 am

FWIW, both my 30/30s, a Rossi Rio Grande and a 464 Mossberg, were rubbish. YMMV and IMO the whole thing is a lottery. Looking back, I could have saved a lot of time, trouble and money going for one of those expensive Japanese Winchesters.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Aug 2016, 12:33 pm

Hey mate, I reckon you could do a lot worse than this for the price. Even has the peep sight already on it.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=84853
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 25 Aug 2016, 12:58 pm

subd
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Aug 2016, 1:05 pm

Hey Pete
Offer still stands if you want to shoot in Canberra this week-end.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 25 Aug 2016, 1:05 pm

Thanks, Gamerancher. Seen that one. Leaning to Marlin though with side eject. This one looks like it spits the cases from the top. Good price though.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Aug 2016, 1:08 pm

Yeah, it will be an early '70's top eject. I don't have any issues with that, don't use scopes on them hunting and they're not allowed in the competition I shoot. Easy to catch your brass though. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Aug 2016, 1:12 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Easy to catch your brass though. :thumbsup:

In your Teeth? :lol:
(Sorry, the Devil made me do it ;) )
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Aug 2016, 1:16 pm

Sounds like the writings of a Marlin owner. :mrgreen:
No, actually in my right hand, about 12 inches to the right of the action. Every case, every time. :D Don't even have to look. :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Dexer » 25 Aug 2016, 1:16 pm

I reckon something just doesn't quite feel right putting an optic on a lever action. I can see the appeal though. One thing I don't like about the Henry's is the tube load. I wish they had a loading gate.

As far as I know there is the ability to get side eject on some models of the Miroku Winchesters. Old man got a new Miroku 94' not long ago (top eject), really nice quality and it's silky smooth to cycle, even straight out of the box. Bit more pricey, however.
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Aug 2016, 1:18 pm

Angle eject. I have one in .45 long colt, haven't got the technique for catching them yet. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 25 Aug 2016, 3:01 pm

I have the 1892 Winchester ( Miruku ) in 45 Colt,I use it for Single action as well as hunting!!
It's the top eject model which is no issue for me as in my opinion,Optics on levers!!!
Well it just ain't cricket!!!
This little rifle has cycled hundreds of rounds without a single stuff up!!
Well worth the extra bucks!!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Aug 2016, 11:19 pm

Miroku are good, very good. They make brownings and winchesters, too.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Aug 2016, 11:43 pm

I'm not a lever guy myself, but know a few people that love levers, and they all think very highly of mirokus. I've tried some and they are smooth and reliable
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Aug 2016, 2:15 am

I have a Winchester, Miroku, '92 in 45 Colt also a Navy Arms, Ubertti, 1873 Winchester clone, also in 45 Colt. Both are fine rifles though I wish they were both in 44/40. A friend has a Marlin that is decades old that is in 44 magnum it has the Micro-groove rifled barrel, great with jacketed bullets not worth a flip with cast lead. His wife has a 5 year old Marlin in 38/357 that has Ballard rifling and it handles both bullet styles with equal aplomb.

The Winchester '73 design is smooth as can be but its action is the weakest design. The '92 is pretty nice except that I hate the tang mounted trigger safety and the newer Marlin has a receiver placed hammer block safety that you can ignore if you want to. You can get a really nice trigger on the '73 or the Marlin but that d*mn trigger safety on the Winchester limits what a smith can do.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Return to Centerfire rifles