Ruger Precision vs Lithgow la102

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Ruger Precision vs Lithgow la102

Post by dpskipper » 07 Sep 2016, 11:19 am

The ruger appeals to some people because of its tactical 'sniper' look. I would love to own one but I've got my eyes set on the Lithgow.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 07 Sep 2016, 12:31 pm

I had a fondle of a lithy in 308 on the weekend and i reckon its the goods, built like a tank, but of weight but its solid, i haven't seen or held a ruger but i'm a little dubious of the plastic quality/fit finish,

The lithgow has a huuuuge bolt to, id almost say the action was designed around a magnum caliber

As for the folding stock debate, meh, i'm not a shooter in a mountain range in the sandpit taking 1+ km shots and never will be so it doesn't matter to me, so long as it doesn't fall apart in 3 shots
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2016, 1:03 pm

AusTac wrote:I had a fondle of a lithy in 308 on the weekend and i reckon its the goods, built like a tank, but of weight but its solid, i haven't seen or held a ruger but i'm a little dubious of the plastic quality/fit finish,

The lithgow has a huuuuge bolt to, id almost say the action was designed around a magnum caliber

As for the folding stock debate, meh, i'm not a shooter in a mountain range in the sandpit taking 1+ km shots and never will be so it doesn't matter to me, so long as it doesn't fall apart in 3 shots

I have three Ruger Americans so far and plan to get a lot more of them.
No complaints from me about the plastic stocks other than the flexibility in the forend as I've mentioned before, only seems to be a problem off a bipod though and is probably an easy fix by filling it with an epoxy. I just mount an additional sling swivel ahead of the mag well for the bipods.
The magazines are a bigger problem but still minor in the scheme of things.

My concern is more about maintaining a consistent point of impact when you have a hinge in the middle of your tripod, even at hunting ranges. For range shooting where you're in exactly the same position for every shot it might never be a problem.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Squiddy » 07 Sep 2016, 1:31 pm

I have an RPR and really I have only three gripes:

The blot shroud is plastic - but has been updated to aluminium on the update and can be purchased through your local for an existing RPR (which I will get around to eventually).

No muzzle brake - I have purchased one and fitted it (again the update has one).

The buttstock is annoying - will change out for a magpul eventually.

Aside from that in terms of build quality - I was dubious when I saw the web reviews and my first choice was actually going to be the Tikka Sporter in 6.5 x 55. But after handling one and knowing how rigid, solid and heavy it is I really cant fault it.
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 07 Sep 2016, 9:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Manufacturers produce stuff that sells, whether the selling point is valid or not. To claim that something "works" just because a manufacturer is able to sell it is a stretch.

Fair call though I would counter that why would a major company such as Ruger base a significant potential financial and marketing risk on something just to meet a market selling point? Therefore, would it not be a viable point that something 'works' if a major manufacturer and firearms designer produces a product which is well received and at this moment in time is producing good results. There is also the consideration that a new design will nearly always having teething issues and lends itself to improvement and upgrades.

bladeracer wrote:
I have not made any claim that the stock affects the performance of the RPR, but owners are finding problems with it and until enough owners replace their folders with fixed stocks there's no way to say if or by how much the folder affects the performance of the rifle.

This comment made me do some research and it would seem there are a significant number of shooters using folding stocked rifles in high level competition. So it would seem this aspect has certainly received a major share of assessment and dare I say, not really in need of more shooters swapping out fixed for folders to see if there is an accuracy difference. Several reviews, posts, threads I came across left me thinking there was no real performance difference statistics. Rather, the consensus was more closely aligned to what each individual personally prefers.

bladeracer wrote:
I hope the stock does work, and work exceptionally well, but for this particular potential owner it's a compromise I'm not willing to put my money on. How many people build themselves a long-range precision rifle...and then put a folding stock on it?

It would seem there is quite a number of high level precision shooters doing just that! Though it may very well be just a personal choice for doing so.

bladeracer wrote:
As for bang-for-buck I absolutely agree, the RPR has it in spades, regardless of the stock.

On this we certainly agree. I like Ruger's product and the company is hitting goals with a lot of potentially interesting possibilities in the future.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by johncz » 26 Dec 2017, 2:27 pm

Okay, late to enter but my wife has been shooting an RPR in 308 for the past 12 months. The butt stock she loves I do not do to catching on things, it is however very adjustable and does the job. I said to her to replace it with a Magpul PRS option which she doesn't like. The folding stock is tight with no flex and excellent for transport in a hard case due to the reduced overall length. Folding stock limits where you can take this rifle which is a pain in the ar#e due to differing State laws.

As far as accuracy it is good but no better than any other accurate bolt gun, I have 3 Rem700s that will out shoot it but it is a 0.75" gun all day. As for the Lithgow, I have not shot one but I believe they are just as if not more accurate. The RPR is well built but so is the Lithgow.

As for hunting, pick up the Lithgow, if you think they are a bit heavy than the RPR is easily a quarter of the weight again. The RPR is a full 0.5kg heavier tham my braked 300win mag heavy rifle. Stupid heavy in my opinion.

Outlay, the RPR is priced appropriately for the style of rifle it is, the new Woomera LA105 will be at least $700 dearer than the RPR so it is on price similar to a Sendero etc..

RPR = A good thing you can't take interstate and need a 4x4 to lug it around. Lithgow is a great thing, priced right, finished beautifully and will last a lifetime and is Aussie made.
johncz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 27 Dec 2017, 3:22 am

i agree with bentaz you will be sorry you let you 303s go
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by gunnnie » 27 Dec 2017, 6:29 pm

Own bith a Ruger Precision & American Ranch & think both are great value for money.
The RPR 6.5CM shoots better than I'm capable of holding & the RAR 300BO has proven to be a great little rifle.

The only Winchester's in my safes are Mod92's & 94's, bout the only Win I'll bother with.

All i would suggest is that you get to handle both types & see which suits you better.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles