Gun Shop salesmen and stupid coments

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Gun Shop salesmen and stupid coments

Post by BadCompany » 02 Sep 2016, 2:23 pm

I gave up on gun shop advice a while back. If you do your research online and talk to people (within your chosen shooting field) in the know then you won't bother talking to dopey except for "I want X model with Y options. Here's my card." I only really buy powder & primers from gun shops now. The rest of my gear comes from places like BRT, Pro-Cal, Sinclair Int etc and for guns it's LRP solutions. Those places you can be confident in any advice given.
BadCompany
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 02 Sep 2016, 3:51 pm

happyhunter wrote:
WayneO wrote:He saved you blowing a heap of cash. Blazers are good but not enough for the money.

Face a charging hippo from 17m out of thick bush and then we can chat about just how good they are. I have shot hundreds of rifles, but nothing, not even my Rigby, has ever come close to the R8.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 02 Sep 2016, 5:04 pm

WayneO wrote:
happyhunter wrote:
WayneO wrote:He saved you blowing a heap of cash. Blazers are good but not enough for the money.

Face a charging hippo from 17m out of thick bush and then we can chat about just how good they are. I have shot hundreds of rifles, but nothing, not even my Rigby, has ever come close to the R8.

What ???

It went 'bang' when you asked it to ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 02 Sep 2016, 5:15 pm

I was thinking the same, certainly quality of materials, fit and finish come into play on expensive rifles. But anything of even mediocre quality will go bang when required.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 02 Sep 2016, 6:46 pm

WayneO wrote:
happyhunter wrote:

Yeah sure mate.. That is what express rifles are for, not bolt actions like the R8. I never have drama with gun shop sales people so not sure why others do.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bluerob » 03 Sep 2016, 9:20 am

Years ago, I worked in a few fishing tackle stores.

One store in particular was the go to shop for gamefishing gear.

So, one Saturday morning (I got home at 4am and still pissed I think....) customer comes in saying he's bought a boat and wants to go shark fishing (shows me a picture of his brand new Bertram).

So, I spend about 4 hours (including a shark fishing video) with him (shop was hectic busy on Saturday mornings) with him, setting up the gear, putting line on the reels, doing up traces etc and I suggested that it might be best to take some guys with him who know shark fishing. He agrees. Asks me to organise a crew "to see if he likes it." He'd heard stories at the local boat club, but, "I've caught Marlin & Blue Fin Tuna." He's just spent about $10,000 on gear (this is 1991 from memory) ....and wants to see if he likes it. Ok, I know guys that have more money than sense, all good....

I explain to hiim that Shark fishing doesn't do alot of good to gelcoat or gunnels (when tracing them if you're not smart ) and they can play up. I line up all the gear, do the pricing, give him a discount and then decides in 5 mins that he wants to go trout fishing instead.

Told him his Bertram might look a bit out of place on Jindabyne Lake and it'd be slightly problematic in getting into creeks.

I decided at that point that it was time to resign.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 03 Sep 2016, 10:56 am

bluerob wrote:Years ago, I worked in a few fishing tackle stores.

One store in particular was the go to shop for gamefishing gear.

So, one Saturday morning (I got home at 4am and still pissed I think....) customer comes in saying he's bought a boat and wants to go shark fishing (shows me a picture of his brand new Bertram).

So, I spend about 4 hours (including a shark fishing video) with him (shop was hectic busy on Saturday mornings) with him, setting up the gear, putting line on the reels, doing up traces etc and I suggested that it might be best to take some guys with him who know shark fishing. He agrees. Asks me to organise a crew "to see if he likes it." He'd heard stories at the local boat club, but, "I've caught Marlin & Blue Fin Tuna." He's just spent about $10,000 on gear (this is 1991 from memory) ....and wants to see if he likes it. Ok, I know guys that have more money than sense, all good....

I explain to hiim that Shark fishing doesn't do alot of good to gelcoat or gunnels (when tracing them if you're not smart ) and they can play up. I line up all the gear, do the pricing, give him a discount and then decides in 5 mins that he wants to go trout fishing instead.

Told him his Bertram might look a bit out of place on Jindabyne Lake and it'd be slightly problematic in getting into creeks.

I decided at that point that it was time to resign.

hahahaha.. and thus concludes a real life example of why gunshop/fishing shop/motorbike shop staff treat the @rseholes like @rsholes.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by superkel66 » 03 Sep 2016, 12:28 pm

WayneO wrote:I recently became a complete convert and my entire collection is being dwindled down drastically. The only rifle I want, need, and have to have is the R8 and a dozen or so barrels.
So I walk into a Gun Shop close to where I stay and asked if they sell or if they can get me a Blaser R8 Rifle. The guy behind the counter asks me why I would want to waste my money on rubbish like a Blaser. So I played along and got all of his pearls of wisdom as to why the Blaser is crap. Got offered what in his opinion are better rifles (Mauser, C.Z, Sako) and a host of other advice. I asked about the Howa and was informed on how badly they were made, how inaccurate they are and was advised never to buy one (I own 4)
Then I left, taking with me the money I was eager to part with for my dream rifle and I will be sure to never return.

In short, the shop lost the sale of a rifle, 6 barrels, 2 sets of saddle mounts, a shotgun and who knows how many other sales.

While my experience is nowhere as bad as that i do agree with the notion of whats good and whats not depends on who there aligned with etc. what i try and do is buy something small ammo etc but get talking to counter staff. listen real carefully and go from there, 1 good question to ask is what they shoot and what with...........if there rimfire lovers dont ask centrefire questions etc etc.
superkel66
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles