Savage or a ruger or spend more on a Lithgow in 22LR?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Savage or a ruger or spend more on a Lithgow in 22LR?

Post by Griffin » 04 Sep 2016, 6:39 pm

Hi all, new to the forum but not to shooting. Just wanted to know if it is worth spending more on a Lithgow in 22lr or just stay with savage or ruger. Still love the 223 but this is just for my small acreage.
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Savage or a ruger or spend more on a Lithgow in 22LR?

Post by HulkFury » 04 Sep 2016, 8:55 pm

I picked up a second hand Savage BTVS (Inc Japanese Tasco scope x6-24) for $550, and it shoots great, and loves the cheap stuff - CCI standard, $65 brick (500 bullets).

Left is a group at 100m, right is from today's shoot at 50m.
Lithgow looks nice though.

160904083936.jpg
160904083936.jpg (620.82 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
HulkFury
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 04 Sep 2016, 9:30 pm

For hunting, pretty much anything will do. Rugers and savages are very reliable, rugers aren't known as target rifles, though.

If it's just for a small acreage and will be a tool, take a look at something second hand, such as an old lithgow/slazenger 12, winchester cooey/sportco, bsa, cz, etc. Alternatively something like a puma would be adequate for most people.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 05 Sep 2016, 7:58 am

All comes down to what you want and what is important to you. Do you just want it to shoot ok or do you want something that steps up in fit and finish.

While the Savage is well known to be capable of excellent accuracy, both it and the Ruger are made to a cheap price point. This is reflected in materials, construction methods as well as fit and finish. They will both serve fine as a useful close range small game rifle or casual target shooter but are built to be replaceable.

On the other hand, the LA101CO is built to appeal to a market that want an Aus made rifle that will last generations. Quality of fit, finish and accuracy are really quite high. From accuracy shown by owners on the net, it would be capable in all but highest levels of target comp. Materials are top grade and it is built to be repairable rather than replaceable. Only thing to be wary of us the possible feed issues from some guns with the factory mags. This issue can be sorted by using CZ mags, which you will probably want a couple of 10 round jobbies for hunting anyway.

As mentioned above, there are plenty of options for a 22lr that will serve as a bunny gun and casual target rig. The decision can only be made by yourself based on what you want to spend and what qualities are important for your needs and wants.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 05 Sep 2016, 8:08 am

Get a lithgow and a few cz mags, you'll love it, i'm a bit bias though, you can't go wrong with eaither, have a look at cz's too if i hasen't already been mentioned
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Sep 2016, 10:20 am

If you haven't already, take a look at rimfirecentral.com but it could be too much information
BTW, I was going to mention the new CZ455 too.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Griffin » 05 Sep 2016, 12:13 pm

Thanks guys, more the 223 is to much for just here. And have strange new people that have the farm next door that some how feel foxes and hares and good. City people lol. Just don't get it. The Lithgow was kind of a last minute thing to my list.
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Griffin » 05 Sep 2016, 12:30 pm

I got a qoute for the ruger at $700 but seen them cheaper on the net. Downside to only having two gun shops here.
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scott017 » 05 Sep 2016, 8:15 pm

Hey Mate,

we have a Savage MKII, Ruger American and a Lithgow between my sons and I.
the Ruger is much heavier than the Savage, the Savage shoots better, but the Lithgow is something special.
include the wife and hands down all 4 votes in our house go to the Lithgow as our favourite
shoots like a laser beam, Australian made and is truly beautiful
scott017
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 05 Sep 2016, 9:36 pm

The la101 is insanely accurate - with some decent ammo, in the right hands it'll shoot 10s ALL day long at 50m. It's a real head-turner for even the most experienced coaches - it almost feels like cheating compared to what I'm used to. You can score 550+ in a match which is anschutz territory (for a third of the price!).

I recommend the laminate version if you're chasing accuracy, and the walnut if you want style. The poly version apparently isn't quite as accurate due to the bit of flex in the stock - a bit more robust though I guess.

Having that kind of accuracy means you truly can ethically reach out to 100m+ when varminting (which is pretty amazing for a 22). So basically, I say go with the Lithgow if you can afford it. Just don't expect too much of the factory magazine - you'll probably need to replace it with a CZ (which the rifle was actually originally designed around). The factory magazine is pretty poxy in an otherwise awesome piece of kit.
Last edited by in2anity on 05 Sep 2016, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 05 Sep 2016, 9:40 pm

You could go a much cheaper option and get a Norinco copy of a Cz. I've got the Jw-15e that shoots really , really well for the price considering it was $300 new with a scope and shoots 1moa
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Griffin » 11 Sep 2016, 11:14 am

Just a quick update for all that kind enough to answer my question, I gave in to temptation and bought a ruger. Downside have to wait a week for my order to come in. I put pics up as soon as a get a chance.
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 11 Sep 2016, 11:47 am

Nothing wrong with Rugers, mate. They're built as hunting rifles and built to last. I have an American centrefire and am very pleased with it. I had an issue with the original mag (one of the original .223s) where the final round would occassionally stovepipe. They learned about this and changed the design of the follower ever so slightly.
They had me contact Nioa and I had a new redesigned mag sent to my lgs from their next shipment. I got a call when it arrived. Walked in, handed them my old mag, was given a new mag, walked out, no questions asked.
New mag has functioned flawlessly, and as an aside, you can load a 6th round into the 5 round mag, though I don't like to. But good to know I can have seven rounds in the rifle if I have to go for a walk.
Also, if you get a card saying you get a free cheek pad if you register it, I suggest you do so, as they honour it even in Aus. Good cheek pads, too. Have a zip pouch (handy for boresnakes) and ammo loops.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 20 Sep 2016, 9:10 pm

I'd say go with the lithgow, it's always good to support a local company.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wade06 » 21 Sep 2016, 9:01 am

I was looking at all 3 plus the CZ452/455. All are good but the Lithgow feels/looks like a "real" rifle beside all the others.
It costs more but is Australian made and mine shoots 10mm groups at 50m with 10 cent CCI standard ammo. :D

The only downside is the plastic magazine. Mine is still working great after about 400 odd rounds but i will be getting a metal CZ mag as well.
My second option, if i went the cheaper option, would have been the Ruger American Rimfire. Synthetic is about $570 here, timber is $729.
Last edited by wade06 on 21 Sep 2016, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 21 Sep 2016, 9:09 am

Griffin wrote:Just a quick update for all that kind enough to answer my question, I gave in to temptation and bought a ruger. Downside have to wait a week for my order to come in. I put pics up as soon as a get a chance.

Nice, post some pics and let us know how it shoots :)
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Griffin » 13 Oct 2016, 8:08 pm

Hi all, promised some pics which I put up tomorrow. Unfortunately we feel victim to the New South Wales floods and still cleaning up the place, so not been online. I also changed my selection from the ruger as both Wagga gun shops could not get stock in. So was able to change my order over for savage mkII GXP with scope. Thanks to all that gave advice . Not really a smooth ride back to rimfire world but back nonetheless.
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 14 Oct 2016, 4:50 pm

Good luck with the rest of the flood clean up.

Hope you get time get out and tune that Savage in soon!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Griffin » 14 Oct 2016, 7:23 pm

Thanks shouldn't be to long. Anyone know why can't upload my pics. Says invalid. Does not seem to like iPhone.
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 14 Oct 2016, 10:20 pm

Pics direct from iPhone can be too large. Edit them with a minor crop and they usually load ok.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Griffin » 17 Oct 2016, 5:20 pm

Hi guys small little problem on my new rifle. As I said before I couldn't get my ruger so went with just savage gxp. It came with a bushnell 3-9x40 however the two turrets don't have any MOA markings on them. So far cant track down the right bushnell model. Thinking of changing the scope , what do you think?
Attachments
IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 7546 times
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 7546 times
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Griffin » 17 Oct 2016, 5:22 pm

Just bipod to put on I should say as well
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2016, 5:23 pm

Take the turret caps off, mate! They will just screw off.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Griffin » 17 Oct 2016, 5:25 pm

They are not caps first thing I did
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Griffin » 17 Oct 2016, 5:28 pm

They just don't have any markings
I did ask when I got it. Does not even have a model number on the scope
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2016, 5:37 pm

Sorry, just that sometimes we can miss the bleeding obvious!

Take it back if possible.... Not saying it is but it Could be a knockoff. Never seen a scope with no adjustment stadia or model markings for that matter!

Unless someone else has a better idea of WTF is going on!?!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Griffin » 17 Oct 2016, 5:45 pm

I know. Got bushnell and 3-9x40 on it waterproof and no markings or model number.
My 223 has a bushnell on it so looks legit. But who knows.
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2016, 5:48 pm

Griffin wrote:They are not caps first thing I did

What do you mean they're not caps?
Why are they knurled if not so you can unscrew them?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Griffin » 17 Oct 2016, 5:48 pm

Lol, don't worry when I first looked I felt a little dumb and said it's just caps. But no, moves the crosshairs and no markings. The rifle is fine just scope with no markings odd.
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Griffin » 17 Oct 2016, 5:51 pm

They don't screw off. Turn all you like they are not coming off. They look like caps your right. They aren't coming off.
Griffin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles