Remington SPS DG (Dangerous Game) in 375 H&H

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Remington SPS DG (Dangerous Game) in 375 H&H

Post by bigpete » 13 Sep 2016, 9:03 am

Does anyone own or has anyone ever shot one ? What are they like ? I owned a 223 sps once that was really nice to shoot,have always wanted a 375hh and I like the look of the sps DG bit can't find much info on them.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Remington sps dg

Post by inspector » 23 Nov 2016, 3:49 pm

I think I'm either going to be stating the obvious here or I've missed something and am asking a stupid question :lol: but...

Isn't it just going to be the same as every other Remington 700?
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Remington SPS DG (Dangerous Game) in 375 H&H

Post by aam » 25 Nov 2016, 8:23 pm

I bought mine second hand a while back.
The rifle is compact, light and very easy to swing around, compared to my other rifles.
Have found the rifle very light to carry. I did have the barrel Magna-Ported to mitigate recoil, but I couldn’t tell the difference between the two, non-ported and ported.
Put a Leupold 1.5x5 Vari x 3 which works a treat.

All ammo fed and extracted without a problem. At the moment I’m putting through Federal factory ammo, 300 grain round nose.
Shooting this rifle off a bench could give you a Weatherby eyebrow if not careful.

I practice standing sitting and kneeling with no problem keeping the gun under control ( not getting a scope in the face) There is a very generous recoil pad which helps a lot. Also I must mention that I have shot the rifle in the prone which was more comfortable to shoot than off a bench.

Since the rifle is light, the most rounds I can tolerate putting through the rifle is anywhere from 15 to 20. This is using the said ammo above.

Also by using lighter bullets the recoil won’t be as stout as the 300 grainers.

Is there a down side? Yes, ammo is pricey, Fed power shock goes for $87.00 for 20.
Bought mine a few years back for $36 a packet, needless to say I stocked up.
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 25 Nov 2016, 10:48 pm

Thanks for the useful response.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bourt » 08 Dec 2016, 3:04 pm

aam wrote:Is there a down side? Yes, ammo is pricey, Fed power shock goes for $87.00 for 20.

Makes a miss frustrating when you're near as putting $5 in to the bush each time.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles