Rossi 92 mods

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Rossi 92 mods

Post by bigpete » 13 Sep 2016, 11:34 am

Just curious who else here owns a Rossi 92 and has done any mods on it ? I'm half thinking about fitting a red dot to mine and a short throw kit,but I'm not 100% on either. The red dot,if I do it, will be fit at the rear of the action over the locking lugs and will be something similar to a Burris fast fire. I only really want it as it will be easier to see in semi dark hunting conditions,and easier to resight in when I change loads. The short throw kit I really only want for the fun of it,although it probably would be handy for an ultrafast reload. Anyone done anything similar ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Rossi 92 mods

Post by yoshie » 13 Sep 2016, 12:07 pm

I put a side mount on my 92. I had a 4 powder and a red dot on for a while but i ditched it for a skinner peep which is much better and quicker to aim.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Noisydad » 13 Sep 2016, 3:43 pm

Not Rossi related but what the hell - I'm a bit excited! :-) I have a 1910 built '92 in .44-40 with a half magazine and full length octagonal barrel on its way. Feeling like a kid at christmas!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Sep 2016, 5:13 pm

A peep sight is all you need, (williams etc) theyre a light pointy rifle especially the shorter barrel ones :thumbsup:

and the top eject make an optic a bit more difficult
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigpete » 13 Sep 2016, 6:11 pm

Yeah I'd rather a peep sight but I find it hard to see the sights in the early morning/late evening which is when the deer are out. There's room on top for a very small reflex sight if I can drill and tap the top of the action
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 14 Sep 2016, 8:36 am

noisy dad i have not seen a winchester 92 in 20 years if you have one here even a wore one is a family heirllom
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by petemacsydney » 14 Sep 2016, 9:43 am

sub'd
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Sep 2016, 11:06 am

wrenchman wrote:noisy dad i have not seen a winchester 92 in 20 years if you have one here even a wore one is a family heirllom

Are they hard to come by over there??
There are quite a few around these parts, many in lo-po chamberings 25,32-20, 38, 44, full or half mag, round and octo barrel.... one on abused guns at the mo for $325...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Sep 2016, 11:19 am

There are plenty of them for sale in the U.S,( 4 pages on GunBroker alone), they just want stupid prices for them considering they made over a million of them. That's not including Model 53, (about 25000) and Model 65 ( 5717) (Maddis,1981)
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 14 Sep 2016, 11:22 am

wrenchman wrote:noisy dad i have not seen a winchester 92 in 20 years if you have one here even a wore one is a family heirllom

Lady Noisyhas an original from the '20s in .32-20. It's as slick as soapy glass and everyone wants it once they've tried it!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 14 Sep 2016, 11:38 am

Lady Noisyhas an original from the '20s in .32-20. It's as slick as soapy glass and everyone wants it once they've tried it!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 14 Sep 2016, 12:44 pm

investing in old winchester is better then the stock market
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 14 Sep 2016, 12:59 pm

i picked up a early model 88 a few years ago at the time they ran about 450 us now they run about 800 and even more early model 94 s are unreal in price right noe
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by yycadm » 17 Sep 2016, 12:12 pm

I've got a Rossi Ranch Hand in .357 mag. basically a model 92 with a 12" barrel & cut down stock. I put a full stock on it and have been using it as a pack gun for predators ( I'm in Western Canada & we have neither the restrictions of Australia on short barrel arms, nor the U.S. limitation on SBR's needing a tax stamp...the RH, even modified, is unrestricted)
It's been a fantastic little "tight quarters" gun. I've just added an Adler A-110 with a 13" barrel to the stable for the same job. I work Search & rescue in an area with lots of cougar and both black bears & grizzlies. A .357 is plenty for a cougar or a smaller black bear, but it's not enough for an 800 pound grizzly. The Adler should fill that gap with 4+1 heavy slugs. Nearly all our cat or bear encounters are at less than 30 yards, so a slug is still carrying plenty of energy at that distance, and it's more than accurate enough.
yycadm
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Return to Centerfire rifles