Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Post by Bigjobss » 18 Oct 2016, 8:10 am

Might have seen funding from the same individuals behind the study that proved 100% of drowning victims had water in their lungs.
I've been pushing to ban the stuff ever since, luckily since the drought broke I don't have to live on dangerous "military style" water rations anymore, and the scary "tactical" shower head has been replaced.
Bigjobss

Post by happyhunter » 18 Oct 2016, 2:20 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
Deacon wrote:Love the checkering mate. Good looking rifle. 28 days sucks something chronic hey!

LOVE THE WINCHESTER !

( I am now always regretting, selling my 2 Supergrade Model 70s )

Don't worry. Sure there are another 40,000 of them stored in a factory somewhere n Japan.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 19 Oct 2016, 4:23 pm

happyhunter wrote:Don't worry. Sure there are another 40,000 of them stored in a factory somewhere n Japan.

Get with program ...

Supers were never made in Japan.

The current crop ( best ever ! ) are Belgian made.

Get your facts straight, when attempting to disparage something magnificent !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:28 pm

So they are are Browning :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:37 pm

Are you *really* sure they are made in Belgium, because that isn't what is stamped on them :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:40 pm

..and yep, they are a very nice rifle. Would own one in a second, but you might find they have been made in the USA and assembled in Portugal for the last few years.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Oct 2016, 4:48 pm

happyhunter wrote:Are you *really* sure they are made in Belgium, because that isn't what is stamped on them :D

of course theyre made in Belgium.... except its Portugal....or was it Spain...or China, like the Remchesters :D
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 19 Oct 2016, 4:51 pm

happyhunter wrote:Are you *really* sure they are made in Belgium, because that isn't what is stamped on them :D

Made in Belgium / assembled in Portugal.

( has been this way for about 2 years; this is the'current crop' I speak of.
Before this, they were indeed coming out of the U.S. )
Last edited by MR. WINCHESTER on 19 Oct 2016, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:53 pm

haha.. my Browning rifle is called a Miroku and made in Japan. I used to own a Steoger coach gun and it was stamped Beretta-Australia and made in hell!
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:58 pm

Funny how the economics of manufacture let them make the parts in the USA then ship them over the ocean to Portugal for assembly, burning ship oil and time, and it still works out cheaper for them than paying US workers to put the things together.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 19 Oct 2016, 5:17 pm

^
THESE RIFLES ARE
MADE IN BELGIUM !

Fark !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Oct 2016, 5:29 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:^
THESE RIFLES ARE
MADE IN BELGIUM !

Fark !

Of course they are.. they all are, even the Portuguese and Japanese ones ;)

I sense you're starting to get a bit wound up there :friends:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2016, 8:05 pm

Very nice Bigjobss, what sort of $$ for the rifle mate? I'm looking for a pig stopper and want something light, which reminds me what does the outfit weigh?

I'm also having a look at the Sauer 101 and a Tikka T3x - probably in 308 or 6.5x55 at this stage (still not fixed on that yet either) bloody hard when there are so many rifles and cals that will all do the job. :silent:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Oct 2016, 3:08 pm

Most places have them listed for around $1600 but it didn't take much effort at all to get that down to $1200, probably should've haggled harder but it still seems to be a lot of gun for not much money.

According to my fishing scales the rig weighs in at just shy of 4.3kg empty, I didn't weight the bare rifle but Winchester lists it at 3.3kg, the scope is almost 600g so that seems about right. Not exactly a real "Featherweight" by todays standards set by Sako and co. but about as light as I want to go in 300WM, half the reason I chose the bigger scope!
I think the non magnums are 2.7kg.
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Oct 2016, 4:12 pm

Thanks for that Bigjobss, sounds like you got a fantastic deal mate, well worth it for $1200!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Oct 2016, 7:08 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Thanks for that Bigjobss, sounds like you got a fantastic deal mate, well worth it for $1200!

Yeh that's funny because I'm not a tight arse but I love a bargain and haggle, must be the wog in me, but I can't help but think that even though I got the gun and scope discounted and got some ammo at 'cost price' ($75 for barnes vor tx) and a sling, sock and bag thrown in for free, I forgot to haggle on the rings/bases and paid sticker price, shame on me, I mean s**t I pay cash f***ing money afterall.
Bigjobss

Post by Gwion » 20 Oct 2016, 9:05 pm

The poor dealer had to make a dollar on something! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Oct 2016, 9:54 pm

Gwion wrote:The poor dealer had to make a dollar on something! ;)

The dealer is evil and must be punished.
Just like my liver :wtf:
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 02 Nov 2016, 2:02 pm

Bit of an update here, I took it out for a hunt over the weekend and whilst I didn't bag a deer, which would have been a bit optimistic after a 15 year break, but did see plenty of sign and had a honk and spooked one which bolted on me from thick scrub.

Sighted the Winny in no problems at all, first shot was about 3" to the right and bang on for elevation, clicked her to the left and fired two more almost touching. Had a crack at 100yds and after 5 shots and minimal tweaking got a group 2" high around 1MOA, didnt measure it as its more than good enough for a kill zone out to 300yds without holdover.
Very happy with the way she goes, great crisp trigger with almost zero creep, feeds beautifully and whilst shooting prone off a bipod the recoil was quite manageable.
The zeiss is a ripper too, no issues with rain and lowlight.
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Nov 2016, 2:10 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Bit of an update here, I took it out for a hunt over the weekend and whilst I didn't bag a deer, which would have been a bit optimistic after a 15 year break, but did see plenty of sign and had a honk and spooked one which bolted on me from thick scrub.

Sighted the Winny in no problems at all, first shot was about 3" to the right and bang on for elevation, clicked her to the left and fired two more almost touching. Had a crack at 100yds and after 5 shots and minimal tweaking got a group 2" high around 1MOA, didnt measure it as its more than good enough for a kill zone out to 300yds without holdover.
Very happy with the way she goes, great crisp trigger with almost zero creep, feeds beautifully and whilst shooting prone off a bipod the recoil was quite manageable.
The zeiss is a ripper too, no issues with rain and lowlight.

Great news mate, that should certainly sort the deer out when you can get a crack at one. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 02 Nov 2016, 2:17 pm

Hard to imagine a sambar taking kindly to a 165grain Barnes TTSX at 3,120fps!
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Nov 2016, 2:22 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Hard to imagine a sambar taking kindly to a 165grain Barnes TTSX at 3,120fps!

Nope won't like that at all I wouldn't think :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles