Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Post by Bigjobss » 19 Sep 2016, 5:35 pm

Deacon wrote:As a bit of a tikka fanboy I think you're mad! :lol: If it goes belly up you could look at the lithgow LA102. Great Aussie company.
Grats on the purchase though mate make sure you show us some pics when you get it.

Also mick, don't bother trying to kick the lever addiction. Everyone knows they are the coolest guns by far :thumbsup: I bought a browning BL22 just today. Now waiting the longest 28 days of a mans life!

Good choice the BL22 is on the wishlist, maybe a christmas present to myself later.
Hoping I dont need to turn to the Tikka side, nothing personal, just don't want to be another "bloody Tikka owner" :sarcasm:
Joking aside the main reason was wanting a classic look in walnut and Winchester has got Tikka covered on that one, I think I picked a good one after looking at a few 70s mine had a great finish and super silky action, definitely stood out from the rest.
Bigjobss

Post by Deacon » 19 Sep 2016, 7:22 pm

Yeah I got the tikka with synthetic because the whole rig is pretty light so I can carry it around all day no dramas. If that wasn't a factor I'd be going the timber every time. I think you made a good call, if a gun jumps out at you grab it or you will be forever wondering "what if" and you won't fully enjoy what you end up with.

Deac
Last edited by Deacon on 19 Sep 2016, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Deacon » 19 Sep 2016, 8:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Deacon wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Deacon wrote:I bought a browning BL22 just today. Now waiting the longest 28 days of a mans life!

Do you guys have to wait 28 days for every firearm you buy?
Down here it's only a day at most.

Sure do boss. Apparently it's changing next year but at the moment you only get your PTA 28 days after you lodge the application. The dumbest part is that (as far as I understand) it was all approved right in front of me, sarge signed it off and the whole 9 yards yet i still have to wait. Great system :sarcasm:

Deac

Crazy. My brother is in Canberra and I've been pushing him for years to get licenced, I think I understand why now :-)

The running around is the worst part. You go registry to get the forms, gun shop for gun details and deposit, shop front for payment of PTA, back to registry to submit, 28 days, registry to pick up application, gun shop for guns and finally back to registry to give them their receipt page thing. That's why I only bother doing it if I'm filling multiple at once or I won't need anything else for a considerable amount of time. Oh and all this is only after the 28 day wait for your license after you've done a safety course that happens once a month. So going from unlicensed to owning a firearm is a fairly lengthy ordeal. Like I said though they are working to streamline the process :allegedly:

Deac
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by Mick280 » 19 Sep 2016, 8:47 pm

Also mick, don't bother trying to kick the lever addiction. Everyone knows they are the coolest guns by far :thumbsup: I bought a browning BL22 just today. Now waiting the longest 28 days of a mans life![/quote]

Definitely not!!!
In the process of getting my hands on an 1886 Winchester at the moment!!!
"Bloody Lever Actions"
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Oct 2016, 4:07 pm

Well that felt like pretty long 28 days! Hopefully just in time to get one hunt in before summer.
Just picked it up today so I haven't had a chance to have a shot, but should be able to head out this weekend if I'm not out fishing.
I will also have a CZ452 22lr to play as I am picking one up later this week, it will have a vortex crossfire 2-7x32 on it and should give me some plinking fun.

Resized_20161017_154619.jpeg
Resized_20161017_154619.jpeg (294.65 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
Attachments
Resized_20161017_154805.jpeg
Resized_20161017_154805.jpeg (244.29 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
Bigjobss

Post by Deacon » 17 Oct 2016, 4:11 pm

Love the checkering mate. Good looking rifle. 28 days sucks something chronic hey!
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 4:13 pm

Deacon wrote:Love the checkering mate. Good looking rifle. 28 days sucks something chronic hey!

LOVE THE WINCHESTER !

( I am now always regretting, selling my 2 Supergrade Model 70s )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Oct 2016, 6:40 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
Deacon wrote:Love the checkering mate. Good looking rifle. 28 days sucks something chronic hey!

LOVE THE WINCHESTER !

You like Winchesters too? Huh never would have guessed. :lol:
Bigjobss

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 6:43 pm

Are you taking the piss, Bigjob ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Oct 2016, 7:19 pm

Nah not really, more like making a dad joke
Bigjobss

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Oct 2016, 8:33 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Are you taking the piss, Bigjob ?

He was 'stating the obvious' in a friendly way..... don't be so touchy.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Oct 2016, 7:22 am

After an extensive study... it was determined that 100% of bald males suffer hair loss..

Flop.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Bigjobss » 18 Oct 2016, 8:10 am

Might have seen funding from the same individuals behind the study that proved 100% of drowning victims had water in their lungs.
I've been pushing to ban the stuff ever since, luckily since the drought broke I don't have to live on dangerous "military style" water rations anymore, and the scary "tactical" shower head has been replaced.
Bigjobss

Post by happyhunter » 18 Oct 2016, 2:20 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:

LOVE THE WINCHESTER !

Don't worry. Sure there are another 40,000 of them stored in a factory somewhere n Japan.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 19 Oct 2016, 4:23 pm

happyhunter wrote:Don't worry. Sure there are another 40,000 of them stored in a factory somewhere n Japan.

Get with program ...

Supers were never made in Japan.

The current crop ( best ever ! ) are Belgian made.

Get your facts straight, when attempting to disparage something magnificent !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:28 pm

So they are are Browning :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:37 pm

Are you *really* sure they are made in Belgium, because that isn't what is stamped on them :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:40 pm

..and yep, they are a very nice rifle. Would own one in a second, but you might find they have been made in the USA and assembled in Portugal for the last few years.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Oct 2016, 4:48 pm

happyhunter wrote:Are you *really* sure they are made in Belgium, because that isn't what is stamped on them :D

of course theyre made in Belgium.... except its Portugal....or was it Spain...or China, like the Remchesters :D
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 19 Oct 2016, 4:51 pm

happyhunter wrote:Are you *really* sure they are made in Belgium, because that isn't what is stamped on them :D

Made in Belgium / assembled in Portugal.

( has been this way for about 2 years; this is the'current crop' I speak of.
Before this, they were indeed coming out of the U.S. )
Last edited by MR. WINCHESTER on 19 Oct 2016, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:53 pm

haha.. my Browning rifle is called a Miroku and made in Japan. I used to own a Steoger coach gun and it was stamped Beretta-Australia and made in hell!
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 19 Oct 2016, 4:58 pm

Funny how the economics of manufacture let them make the parts in the USA then ship them over the ocean to Portugal for assembly, burning ship oil and time, and it still works out cheaper for them than paying US workers to put the things together.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 19 Oct 2016, 5:17 pm

^
THESE RIFLES ARE
MADE IN BELGIUM !

Fark !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Oct 2016, 5:29 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:^
THESE RIFLES ARE
MADE IN BELGIUM !

Fark !

Of course they are.. they all are, even the Portuguese and Japanese ones ;)

I sense you're starting to get a bit wound up there :friends:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2016, 8:05 pm

Very nice Bigjobss, what sort of $$ for the rifle mate? I'm looking for a pig stopper and want something light, which reminds me what does the outfit weigh?

I'm also having a look at the Sauer 101 and a Tikka T3x - probably in 308 or 6.5x55 at this stage (still not fixed on that yet either) bloody hard when there are so many rifles and cals that will all do the job. :silent:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Oct 2016, 3:08 pm

Most places have them listed for around $1600 but it didn't take much effort at all to get that down to $1200, probably should've haggled harder but it still seems to be a lot of gun for not much money.

According to my fishing scales the rig weighs in at just shy of 4.3kg empty, I didn't weight the bare rifle but Winchester lists it at 3.3kg, the scope is almost 600g so that seems about right. Not exactly a real "Featherweight" by todays standards set by Sako and co. but about as light as I want to go in 300WM, half the reason I chose the bigger scope!
I think the non magnums are 2.7kg.
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Oct 2016, 4:12 pm

Thanks for that Bigjobss, sounds like you got a fantastic deal mate, well worth it for $1200!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Oct 2016, 7:08 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Thanks for that Bigjobss, sounds like you got a fantastic deal mate, well worth it for $1200!

Yeh that's funny because I'm not a tight arse but I love a bargain and haggle, must be the wog in me, but I can't help but think that even though I got the gun and scope discounted and got some ammo at 'cost price' ($75 for barnes vor tx) and a sling, sock and bag thrown in for free, I forgot to haggle on the rings/bases and paid sticker price, shame on me, I mean s**t I pay cash f***ing money afterall.
Bigjobss

Post by Gwion » 20 Oct 2016, 9:05 pm

The poor dealer had to make a dollar on something! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Oct 2016, 9:54 pm

Gwion wrote:The poor dealer had to make a dollar on something! ;)

The dealer is evil and must be punished.
Just like my liver :wtf:
Bigjobss

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles