Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Post by Bigjobss » 15 Sep 2016, 11:12 am

Hey all new member here, I'm back into shooting after a little over a decade off, I grew up shooting/hunting most weekends but let it go during uni and just got my license again and now need some guns!

Looking at a Sambar outfit to replace my old West German Sauer 200 30-06 that I wish I still had, the Featherlight on paper seems pretty good for the money, anyone around here own one and have an oppinion? The major appeal for me is the weight for long stalks and the proven and solid safety mechanism design.
Hows the recoil with such a light rig? I was shooting the Sauer from age 14 onwards and never had any issues, but from memory it was quite heavy.
Ive also seen a Featherlight in 300WM for a good price, but again the recoil could be an issue.

Also for s**ts and giggles what else in the $1600 bare rifle price bracket should I consider? Not really a Tikka fan but could be convinced on a CZ.
The new Sauer 100 sounds interesting but there's pretty much nothing usefull information wise I could find on them, not sure I want to be a guinea pig with a new product.

Thanks fellas.
Bigjobss

Re: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

Post by wade06 » 15 Sep 2016, 1:42 pm

Can't help you out on a Sambar rifle but welcome bigjobss :-)
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Sep 2016, 1:43 pm

My M70 is an 06 too. I particularly like the bolt lift, which is very smooth. The tang was epoxied to the stock but I fixed that. Trigger is good. Made in Utah if that has any bearing on things. Have not tried maximum loads but starting charges of 2209 with 165 gn pills are accurate. For recoil I use a Past Recoil Shied.

Good Hunting :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 Sep 2016, 2:16 pm

See if these guys can order you one of these in 30-06 right hand...
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=83920
Montana Rifle Co.
Based on the Win. model 70. From all reports, an excellent action that is just a cut above what Winchester are producing in build quality.

When i can afford a decent walk around deer hunting rifle, i'll be building up a custom 7mm-08rem on one of these (unless i just get a Sako).
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bigjobss » 15 Sep 2016, 7:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome and replies guys.
The montana is a left field recommendation, and I like it.
Found a place nearby that has one listed new for $1500 in the 30-06, sounds like an interesting option being a semi custom rifle, probably expect a nicer finish being handle assembled by a small firm and all.
Also interesting to see that they go for similar dollars in the states whilst the bigger names have much larger mark-ups, maybe because they're not as well known? On this logic it may mean they are better value.
Bigjobss

Post by Mick280 » 15 Sep 2016, 7:25 pm

Welcome Mate!!
I have a F/Weight in .308 and wouldn't part with it!!
They are building them in 300 WSM with a 24" barrel now and I would think one of these sending a good 180 gn pill at around 2900 fps would be an awesome Sambar outfit!!!
Couldn't see the recoil being that much different than the 30-06.
I plan on having one in the safe by the new year!!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Sep 2016, 7:32 pm

sorry bigjobs... you wont find a west german anything nowadays ;) just plain ger-man.....

If you're happy with Sauer, then go for it, not exactly a gamble with a century or so (more??) gunmaking.......

If you're after a hunter, don't want a tikki or Sarko...
CZ prices have seemed to have gone up.... I picked one up for a good deal, seems those deals are gone now, consider a Zasty... you'll get a lefty in '06 or winmag.. blued or SS... you cant go wrong.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Sep 2016, 7:59 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Thanks for the welcome and replies guys.
Found a place nearby that has one listed new for $1500 in the 30-06, sounds like an interesting option being a semi custom rifle, probably expect a nicer finish being handle assembled by a small firm and all.
Also interesting to see that they go for similar dollars in the states whilst the bigger names have much larger mark-ups, maybe because they're not as well known? On this logic it may mean they are better value.

Definitely worth checking it out! Especially if it's the 06 that you wanted!

Welcome, by the way! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bigjobss » 15 Sep 2016, 8:00 pm

Mick280 wrote:Welcome Mate!!
They are building them in 300 WSM with a 24" barrel now and I would think one of these sending a good 180 gn pill at around 2900 fps would be an awesome Sambar outfit!!!
Mick.

Cheers Mick.
I like the idea of a 300WSM in such a light rifle, makes my imagination run wild with thoughts of week long treks around the hills of NZ, if only my imagination would start paying for s**t.
Bigjobss

Post by Mick280 » 16 Sep 2016, 12:43 am

Bigjobss wrote:
Mick.

Cheers Mick.
I like the idea of a 300WSM in such a light rifle, makes my imagination run wild with thoughts of week long treks around the hills of NZ, if only my imagination would start paying for s**t.

Hahaha!!
Wouldn't that be handy!!
It's a cartridge that's held my fascination for a while now.
I'm a bit re-coil sensitive and have wanted a .30 cal that will launch the heavier pills to top of my bolt action collection and it seems to fit the bill.
I just need to stop buying bloody lever actions for a while!!!
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 16 Sep 2016, 8:37 pm

Gwion wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:Thanks for the welcome and replies guys.

Definitely worth checking it out! Especially if it's the 06 that you wanted!

Welcome, by the way! ;)

Thanks mate, having a look at a Model 70 this weekend, if I dont get carried away I'll be checking out the Montana next week to see how they compare.
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 16 Sep 2016, 8:46 pm

Mick280 wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:
Mick.

Cheers Mick.

Hahaha!!
Wouldn't that be handy!!
It's a cartridge that's held my fascination for a while now.
I'm a bit re-coil sensitive and have wanted a .30 cal that will launch the heavier pills to top of my bolt action collection and it seems to fit the bill.
I just need to stop buying bloody lever actions for a while!!!
Mick

I've always wanted a lever, they definitely have an appeal that's hard to explain, I was playing around with a mates old .444 Marlin the other day and it just felt good, I reckon I'll get something similar one day.
Bigjobss

Post by Mick280 » 16 Sep 2016, 10:32 pm

Nah,Easy to explains!!!
Classic bits of kit and soooo much fun!!!!
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Sep 2016, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the help guys, after visting a few shops today and looking at a few different things I settled on a Model 70 Featherweight in 300 win mag with a Ziess Conquest 3-12x50, very happy with the way the outfit feels, I'll post up a few pics in 28 days!
Bigjobss

Post by Deacon » 19 Sep 2016, 4:39 pm

As a bit of a tikka fanboy I think you're mad! :lol: If it goes belly up you could look at the lithgow LA102. Great Aussie company.
Grats on the purchase though mate make sure you show us some pics when you get it.

Also mick, don't bother trying to kick the lever addiction. Everyone knows they are the coolest guns by far :thumbsup: I bought a browning BL22 just today. Now waiting the longest 28 days of a mans life!
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2016, 4:40 pm

Deacon wrote:I bought a browning BL22 just today. Now waiting the longest 28 days of a mans life!

Do you guys have to wait 28 days for every firearm you buy?
Down here it's only a day at most.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Deacon » 19 Sep 2016, 4:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Deacon wrote:I bought a browning BL22 just today. Now waiting the longest 28 days of a mans life!

Sure do boss. Apparently it's changing next year but at the moment you only get your PTA 28 days after you lodge the application. The dumbest part is that (as far as I understand) it was all approved right in front of me, sarge signed it off and the whole 9 yards yet i still have to wait. Great system :sarcasm:

Deac
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2016, 5:01 pm

Deacon wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Sure do boss. Apparently it's changing next year but at the moment you only get your PTA 28 days after you lodge the application. The dumbest part is that (as far as I understand) it was all approved right in front of me, sarge signed it off and the whole 9 yards yet i still have to wait. Great system :sarcasm:

Deac

Crazy. My brother is in Canberra and I've been pushing him for years to get licenced, I think I understand why now :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 19 Sep 2016, 5:35 pm

Deacon wrote:As a bit of a tikka fanboy I think you're mad! :lol: If it goes belly up you could look at the lithgow LA102. Great Aussie company.
Grats on the purchase though mate make sure you show us some pics when you get it.

Also mick, don't bother trying to kick the lever addiction. Everyone knows they are the coolest guns by far :thumbsup: I bought a browning BL22 just today. Now waiting the longest 28 days of a mans life!

Good choice the BL22 is on the wishlist, maybe a christmas present to myself later.
Hoping I dont need to turn to the Tikka side, nothing personal, just don't want to be another "bloody Tikka owner" :sarcasm:
Joking aside the main reason was wanting a classic look in walnut and Winchester has got Tikka covered on that one, I think I picked a good one after looking at a few 70s mine had a great finish and super silky action, definitely stood out from the rest.
Bigjobss

Post by Deacon » 19 Sep 2016, 7:22 pm

Yeah I got the tikka with synthetic because the whole rig is pretty light so I can carry it around all day no dramas. If that wasn't a factor I'd be going the timber every time. I think you made a good call, if a gun jumps out at you grab it or you will be forever wondering "what if" and you won't fully enjoy what you end up with.

Deac
Last edited by Deacon on 19 Sep 2016, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by Deacon » 19 Sep 2016, 8:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Deacon wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Deac

Crazy. My brother is in Canberra and I've been pushing him for years to get licenced, I think I understand why now :-)

The running around is the worst part. You go registry to get the forms, gun shop for gun details and deposit, shop front for payment of PTA, back to registry to submit, 28 days, registry to pick up application, gun shop for guns and finally back to registry to give them their receipt page thing. That's why I only bother doing it if I'm filling multiple at once or I won't need anything else for a considerable amount of time. Oh and all this is only after the 28 day wait for your license after you've done a safety course that happens once a month. So going from unlicensed to owning a firearm is a fairly lengthy ordeal. Like I said though they are working to streamline the process :allegedly:

Deac
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by Mick280 » 19 Sep 2016, 8:47 pm

Also mick, don't bother trying to kick the lever addiction. Everyone knows they are the coolest guns by far :thumbsup: I bought a browning BL22 just today. Now waiting the longest 28 days of a mans life![/quote]

Definitely not!!!
In the process of getting my hands on an 1886 Winchester at the moment!!!
"Bloody Lever Actions"
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Oct 2016, 4:07 pm

Well that felt like pretty long 28 days! Hopefully just in time to get one hunt in before summer.
Just picked it up today so I haven't had a chance to have a shot, but should be able to head out this weekend if I'm not out fishing.
I will also have a CZ452 22lr to play as I am picking one up later this week, it will have a vortex crossfire 2-7x32 on it and should give me some plinking fun.

Resized_20161017_154619.jpeg
Resized_20161017_154619.jpeg (294.65 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
Attachments
Resized_20161017_154805.jpeg
Resized_20161017_154805.jpeg (244.29 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
Bigjobss

Post by Deacon » 17 Oct 2016, 4:11 pm

Love the checkering mate. Good looking rifle. 28 days sucks something chronic hey!
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 4:13 pm

Deacon wrote:Love the checkering mate. Good looking rifle. 28 days sucks something chronic hey!

LOVE THE WINCHESTER !

( I am now always regretting, selling my 2 Supergrade Model 70s )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Oct 2016, 6:40 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
Deacon wrote:Love the checkering mate. Good looking rifle. 28 days sucks something chronic hey!

LOVE THE WINCHESTER !

( I am now always regretting, selling my 2 Supergrade Model 70s )

You like Winchesters too? Huh never would have guessed. :lol:
Bigjobss

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 17 Oct 2016, 6:43 pm

Are you taking the piss, Bigjob ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Oct 2016, 7:19 pm

Nah not really, more like making a dad joke
Bigjobss

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Oct 2016, 8:33 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Are you taking the piss, Bigjob ?

He was 'stating the obvious' in a friendly way..... don't be so touchy.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Oct 2016, 7:22 am

After an extensive study... it was determined that 100% of bald males suffer hair loss..

Flop.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles