Project 50

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Project 50

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Mar 2017, 9:19 pm

Sounds great Brett, she'd want to shoot well after all the effort you've gone too. Will she be ready for the next shoot or not?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 22 Mar 2017, 10:21 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Sounds great Brett, she'd want to shoot well after all the effort you've gone too. Will she be ready for the next shoot or not?

I'm the process of building a case for it, the seller on eBay with the coffins never got in touch so I went with plan B. I bought all the fittings last weekend and will borrow a mates ute tomorrow or Friday to pickup a couple sheets of 2400x1200x 17mm form ply. Case will be 1800 long and 400 square which might be a little on the heavy side but it'll last till I can get something better made in aluminium. Apart from the case and screwing the barrel in I'm all set for Mildura Saturday week, picking up a mate in the gong on the way to share the driving and to help grunting stuff around. If I can break in the barrel on the Friday practise I'll compete with the BR50 otherwise I've got a good load for the "Flinch Master 50" I can use and the bruise from 2 weeks ago has almost gone :lol: I don't generally bruise from recoil but 48 rounds through the Flinch Master 50 in 2 hrs seems to have found my limit. I'm very curious to see how much or little the 50BR kicks, the recoil pad on the stock looks and feels quite soft. Another challenge for this week is making a cleaning rod 60" long cause the longest if found is 44" so ill do a cut & shut on 2 shorter rods for now.

If it doesn't perform then I'll re-barrel it to .416 Barrett or a 375-416 Wildcat :) It's almost an identical spec to the current world record holding rifle with a few upgrades so I'm confident it'll perform better then me. Reading wind is the last skill I'm needing to master as this stage.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 22 Mar 2017, 11:16 pm

800 gn copper solid should buck the wind O.K.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Mar 2017, 4:57 am

brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Sounds great Brett, she'd want to shoot well after all the effort you've gone too. Will she be ready for the next shoot or not?

I'm the process of building a case for it, the seller on eBay with the coffins never got in touch so I went with plan B. I bought all the fittings last weekend and will borrow a mates ute tomorrow or Friday to pickup a couple sheets of 2400x1200x 17mm form ply. Case will be 1800 long and 400 square which might be a little on the heavy side but it'll last till I can get something better made in aluminium. Apart from the case and screwing the barrel in I'm all set for Mildura Saturday week, picking up a mate in the gong on the way to share the driving and to help grunting stuff around. If I can break in the barrel on the Friday practise I'll compete with the BR50 otherwise I've got a good load for the "Flinch Master 50" I can use and the bruise from 2 weeks ago has almost gone :lol: I don't generally bruise from recoil but 48 rounds through the Flinch Master 50 in 2 hrs seems to have found my limit. I'm very curious to see how much or little the 50BR kicks, the recoil pad on the stock looks and feels quite soft. Another challenge for this week is making a cleaning rod 60" long cause the longest if found is 44" so ill do a cut & shut on 2 shorter rods for now.

If it doesn't perform then I'll re-barrel it to .416 Barrett or a 375-416 Wildcat :) It's almost an identical spec to the current world record holding rifle with a few upgrades so I'm confident it'll perform better then me. Reading wind is the last skill I'm needing to master as this stage.

I look forward to hearing how it all pans out Brett, you should be in with a good chance I'd say so long as you find the load it likes to shoot and sorting out the wind reading - what ranges are you shooting 1km or is it out to 2km now (can't remember where the range is up to now).

I think Michelle and John are going - if so say G'day to em for me. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scaredyet » 23 Mar 2017, 7:57 am

Wow
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Mar 2017, 9:03 am

Makes me feel a bit inadequate shooting my .22, which is unusual for me next to Brett :lol:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Mar 2017, 12:25 pm

what ranges are you shooting 1km or is it out to 2km now (can't remember where the range is up to now).

Last time I was there in Aug it was only 600yds and the flyer for this Aprils shoot is also 600yds. There's talk of them using another range to run comps out to 2 miles but I haven't heard anything as yet. I'll grab Paul Cohrs when I get down there and see what the plans are with the longer shoots. I'm pretty sure John & Michelle will find me as the 50BR will definitely get some heads turning. I'm not too happy about putting the first shots through it with an audience present, I'd much prefer to do that up my place in private.
Once Mildura is done I'll head north to develop a load and stretch its legs out to 1000yds. Need to consistently get 5 shots under 4" at 1000yds before committing the funds to shoot in the US titles.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 26 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm

Spent a solid 2 days making a case and should be done by Tuesday evening. Timber is 17mm form ply which I chose for its price, strength, rigidity and it comes in big sheets. I made a box using PVA and 10G x 40mm wood screws then screwed a guide around the outside to keep the lid square when cutting the circular saw. I cracked the $hits swapping the drill / screw bit all the time so I drove to Bunnings and bought another "Drill" skin which saved me a couple hours as least. I then used some pine to form a lip on the inside to prevent moisture ingress and recessed the pine in the lid so I end up with 2 mating surfaces. I sealed all the edges with PVA and will stick on some foam to keep the environment out. I was originally planning to use a hinged lid but getting a good seal would be too much work so I went with a fully removable lid. To keep the lid on I used 8 60mm S/S catches which are adjustable so I can increase the clamping force as the seal compresses. To finish off the outside I fitted 8 handles, 75mm wheels (2 fixed, 2 rotating with locks), using stainless steel nuts, bolts and fittings where possible.
Next task was to build the internal brackets to support the monster, I've designed it in such a way that the fore end block will lock in place, preventing any fore / aft or vertical movement. The butt will get a clamp over the top and once I screw the barrel in I'll make the supports for it. Everything will then be braced in such a way to prevent any timber from splitting. When I get back and have more time I'm thinking to gladwrap the rifle and fill the case with expanding foam if I can find it in commercial quantities.

I'll do another update from Mildura this coming weekend with some feedback on how it shoots :)

IMG_3036.JPG
1800x400x400
IMG_3036.JPG (113.36 KiB) Viewed 3963 times

IMG_3040.JPG
The Lid
IMG_3040.JPG (102.17 KiB) Viewed 3963 times

IMG_3042.JPG
Rear Support
IMG_3042.JPG (60.62 KiB) Viewed 3963 times

IMG_3044.JPG
Fore end Support
IMG_3044.JPG (75.93 KiB) Viewed 3963 times

IMG_3041.JPG
Overall
IMG_3041.JPG (96.24 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Mar 2017, 10:45 pm

Nice Job Brett, I see it has wheels on it (good idea) all ya need now is a crane to lift the bugger up into the ute. :lol: enjoy it mate and I look forward to hearing how it all goes down south. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 30 Mar 2017, 12:18 pm

That's one helluva rifle box Brett.
Here's some pics of one I made years ago for carrying multiple rifles to competitions. It has been re-modeled from original form by cutting about 250mm off one end. ( I made it too long to start ) This has carried my rifles all over the country without any damage for the last 18 years and has the added bonus that you can stack stuff on top. A 6mm steel cable threaded through the handles and locked to the structure of your vehicle satisfies the authorities also.
I've actually made another one identical to this without any frame-work inside which I can get about 6 lever-guns in, in rifle bags, needed when all three of us in the family were shooting that.
Dimensions are: L = 1200mm, H = 300mm, W = 300mm.
Bit small for your "Project 50" but the photos show the aluminium angle that protects and strengthens the corners.
Placing the side handles diagonally opposite each-other makes it easier to carry by yourself, if somewhat heavy. :D

Rifle box 1.jpg
Rifle box 1.jpg (109.71 KiB) Viewed 3783 times

Rifle box 3.jpg
Rifle box 3.jpg (117.99 KiB) Viewed 3783 times

Rifle box 4.jpg
Rifle box 4.jpg (136.45 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 31 Mar 2017, 10:40 pm

I like that case and after grunting mine 1029km last night on the roof of the Rattler I'm shopping for a trailer. Even tried a local place in Mildura this morning but unfortunately didn't have the one I want in stock. I'll order one first thing Monday when I get home cause it's a major strain in my already damaged back getting a 60kg 1800 x 400 x 400 coffin onto the roof on my own.

Video of the very first round...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJIXNzws9kc

Round count currently stands at 17, last 3 shots made 10" @ 600yds using a very bad batch of Hornady factory ammo. Tomorrow morning I'll re-zero with my 798gr match ammo then shoot my 15 scored rounds. I am extremely surprised at how fast the barrel broke in, 10 rounds with a clean in between and almost no trace of copper after the next 3 and even less after the next 4. I'm loving this rifle :D

Bed time....Plenty 50Cal and Pistol action planned for tomorrow.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 31 Mar 2017, 10:59 pm

What's this bashing the bolt closed bit.. ??
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Apr 2017, 10:04 am

Apollo wrote:What's this bashing the bolt closed bit.. ??

Indeed :o
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Apr 2017, 10:36 am

Decent bit of blast..... looked like you got a kiss there...... :shock: :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 01 Apr 2017, 8:40 pm

The first few rounds were factory Hornady 750Gr AMAX and I was surprised that they were a little tight in the chamber. My Lapua brass cases were silky smooth so I assume the factory ammo is closer to the max tolerance of the SAAMI specifications. Keep in mind that this is precision chambered with a brand new unused reamer and some factory rounds might be a little tight.

The competition has been run and done for this match, I scored 1st in the "Heavy Gun" class and equal first overall though mid field for smallest group size with a best of 186mm (I think, so don't hold me to that). I was very happy to place every shot in the 9, 10 or bull with some very tight 3 shot groups of 2-3" an the other 2 within 18cm. Some lessons were learned and next outing will yield better results, give I started the weekend with an unfired unsighted rifle with no ballistic data I'm happy. The mirage was nasty and the wind even worse, quite strong, gusty and constantly changing directions.
I'm a bit disappointed the poor turn out as many of the usual competitors couldn't make it for one reason or another, the Harbor family couldn't come so that was 3 competitors lost in 1 go, some of the Queenslanders pulled out due to weather as well as some of the Melbournians unable to attend to the field was down to 10 or 11. We were done by 2pm so it was open range and open season on the 600yd & 700yd gongs with the 50's which was huge fun, broke out the hand cannon and took to the 300m gongs with it. One of the gents gave me a few shots out of his 500 S&W Magnum, so I can cross that off my bucket list. As usual Paul and the LRSC Members ran an excellent event, the CA Pistol club put on a BBQ Lunch which was great and much appreciated.
On Monday I will get myself organised to head over to the U.S in June / July to shoot. I'll travel with Paul, split the cost and he offered me the use of his rifle while there which is very generous of him and too good an opportunity to pass up.
Shot some other video and took pics which I'll post when I get home but for now it's shower and bed time as it's a long drive home in the morning.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Apr 2017, 8:50 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Decent bit of blast..... looked like you got a kiss there...... :shock: :P

Probably just the angle of the camera as the scope never got close to hitting me, Weatherby brand Band-Aids were not required though 2 boxes were in the range box :lol: . I wasn't particularly holding the rifle tight as even in free recoil is was only coming back a few inches at most. I will order the longer aluminum fore end base during the week and I need to make or buy a better rear rest as 3 layers of sand bags isn't working for me. I'm looking to shoot the rifle without having to hold or touch it so I can remove a short fat variable from the ballistics :)
I'll get cracking on load development with the new 800gr solid coppers in the next month or 2 and then we'll see how it groups. I've got 2 more barrels in the pipeline with one being a .416 Barrett and the other as 375/416 Wildcat in preparation for 3200m competition.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles