Project 50

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Project 50

Post by Noisydad » 06 Feb 2017, 4:12 pm

Sounds like it would be easier to pass through a brick wall by osmosis than get this project up and running! Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your frustration though! You'll need to design a safe big enough to house it too I reckon.
Last edited by Noisydad on 07 Feb 2017, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Feb 2017, 4:49 pm

That brake is a little embarrassing..... a smidge phallic ..

But I'd possibly make the trip to Mildura to watch you shoot it... What should i bring? I dont have anything bigger than a 45cal though...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 06 Feb 2017, 5:15 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:That brake is a little embarrassing..... a smidge phallic ..

But I'd possibly make the trip to Mildura to watch you shoot it... What should i bring? I dont have anything bigger than a 45cal though...

So you see it as well....Since the stock will be grey I might do a grey camo cerakote job on it and name the rifle "50 Shades" :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Feb 2017, 6:21 pm

But if you went darker on the barrel you could call it 50 shades darker.....
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 07 Feb 2017, 3:35 am

Extremely cool. But if I spend that kind of scratch I want a belt hanging out of it ;)

I was going to say looking forward to the next one, but now I am not sure which is more cool!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 07 Feb 2017, 5:48 am

Title remember we are the convict nation who can't be trusted with belts!

Not trying to hijack... but this is what we are dealing with here..

A gun shop was importing Ruger magazines and they were told they filled in the wrong form as it was for a restricted category. They have 30 days to submit the correct form or the goods will be destroyed.

IMG_4697.JPG
IMG_4697.JPG (78.34 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 07 Feb 2017, 6:45 am

Ugh... Yeah.

Back to Brett's project.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Feb 2017, 8:22 am

Brett... you might need a Rabbi to do the um... barrel work...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 20 Feb 2017, 6:13 pm

Bit of an update on progress.
I felt a bit guilty about fitting a S&B PMII 12-50x56 on this rifle as my theme was to use the best of the best on the market. While the S&B is an awesome bit of glass and capable of doing the job it wasn't quiet the "Best" on the market for this class of rifle. I bit the bullet so to speak and purchased a March 8-80x56 tactical with MTR-1 reticule and the clarity blew me away. I set the zoom to 80x and had no difficulty reading parking signs out around 1200m, could probably go much further if I wasn't holding it in my hand.
The final big dollar item was a proper rest and I chose the SEB Max coaxial joystick because it'll handle the mass of the rifle with ease. I unboxed the unit on Saturday afternoon only to discover a part was missing. There's a shaft with a set of counter weights on it to balance out the joystick movement when using >25kg rifles. I called the supplier this morning and was promised a call back in 10 mins, 4 hours later I called them. Apparently I have to wait till they check with the manufacturer to see if that part should be included. They checked a few other boxes and the counter weight is there, it's clearly stated as included in the manual and the advertisement so I fail to see why it's now my problem that it's missing.
The SEB rest is a work of machining artwork, pure precision and right up there with the best of the best of F-Class rifle rests. I have to wait till tomorrow now to see what the boss has to say so hopefully he'll put the customer first and send me one from another box. Worse case is they dick me around and i'm up for a long wait for the manufacturer to sort it out.
Finally, the stock is in the country and the smith has filed the paperwork to get it released from customs. I'm hoping for it to be released in the next day or so and the final work can be done before shipping back to Sydney next week.

Photo's....cause we all know it's B.S without pictures :)

IMG_2986.JPG
SEB Max Coaxial Joy stick rest
IMG_2986.JPG (230.34 KiB) Viewed 5780 times

IMG_2988.JPG
What's in the box - Scope, Flip up covers. Mirage hood, Manual and cleaning cloth.
IMG_2988.JPG (228.76 KiB) Viewed 5780 times

IMG_2989.JPG
Mount just temp fitted till I get the rifle as I'll need to set proper eye relief.
IMG_2989.JPG (164.16 KiB) Viewed 5780 times

IMG_2990.JPG
Yep...80x which is better then my 60x spotting scope
IMG_2990.JPG (139.05 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Feb 2017, 6:39 pm

What an amazing bit of kit! :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 20 Feb 2017, 9:51 pm

Sigh, very jealous. Well done sir. Great looking bits of kit
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 20 Feb 2017, 10:51 pm

The closer it gets the more impatient I become....Currently contemplating having to cut the top outta an existing safe or make one along with a custom transport case. I'm giving serious consideration to buying a coffin at Costco as it'll be the right size, plenty of lifting points, just needs a little extra padding and I think locks are included. The looks on peoples faces as I drive to the range with a coffin strapped to the roof rack of the .204 Rattler would be worth it. Costco even have a "Brass Urn" so maybe one of them for the fired rounds...Thinking of rifle names..."50 Shades of Death" might be fun :lol:

Coffin.jpg
Project 50 Custom Case
Coffin.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 5749 times

SilverOakBrassUrn.jpg
Spent rounds container
SilverOakBrassUrn.jpg (71.32 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 21 Feb 2017, 12:25 am

brett1868 wrote:The closer it gets the more impatient I become....Currently contemplating having to cut the top outta an existing safe or make one along with a custom transport case. I'm giving serious consideration to buying a coffin at Costco as it'll be the right size, plenty of lifting points, just needs a little extra padding and I think locks are included. The looks on peoples faces as I drive to the range with a coffin strapped to the roof rack of the .204 Rattler would be worth it. Costco even have a "Brass Urn" so maybe one of them for the fired rounds...Thinking of rifle names..."50 Shades of Death" might be fun :lol:

Coffin.jpg

SilverOakBrassUrn.jpg

bwaaahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

this just made the hole thread even more worth reading thanks Brett you have a cracker sense of humour :thumbsup:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Feb 2017, 8:37 am

Trouble with the coffin as a case is that you'll need at least three mates to help you take it anywhere. Never seen any less than 4 pall bearers. :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 21 Feb 2017, 11:21 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Trouble with the coffin as a case is that you'll need at least three mates to help you take it anywhere. Never seen any less than 4 pall bearers. :lol:

I call shotgun (regarding volunteering) to help Brett lug the coffin around and having a shot when I'm in the area...:D I think the hardest part would be keeping up enough supply of ammo to give each of the (many) hardworking coffin lugging volunteers a shot ;) :D :D :D May be best to limit it to "if you cant carry it on ya own then ya cant have a shot" :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Feb 2017, 4:00 am

Buying a coffin and a hearse is going to add significant cost to the project, but they'll know you mean businesses when you roll into the club carpark.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Feb 2017, 9:10 am

I tried to buy a genuine "pine-box" coffin years ago at a clearance sale to use as a toolbox for the back of my ute. I reckoned it would scare off any potential thieves.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 11 Mar 2017, 11:39 pm

Slight delay in shipping but will be delivered on Monday. I'm currently up bush to test some brand new Australian made CNC copper 800gr projectiles. Here's the beast in all it's 1700mm glory.
IMG_3015.JPG
IMG_3015.JPG (410.55 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rgo » 12 Mar 2017, 4:26 am

That looks sooo cool !!!
Rgo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 12 Mar 2017, 8:14 am

Few more pics from various angles would be appreciated Brett. Looks very nice , well done sir.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 12 Mar 2017, 9:19 am

Supaduke wrote:Few more pics from various angles would be appreciated Brett. Looks very nice , well done sir.

More pictures and video coming soon and then some action video from FCSA comp in Mildura 1st of April. It's built in such a way that I can remove the barrel without too much effort so at this stage it'll fit in one of my existing safes but I'll build a safe anyway so I'm not having to assemble it. Less typing, I've got 50 rounds to chrono
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 21 Mar 2017, 2:43 pm

What's the latest with this. Can you post what the project cost all up
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 21 Mar 2017, 3:43 pm

brett1868 wrote:Slight delay in shipping but will be delivered on Monday. I'm currently up bush to test some brand new Australian made CNC copper 800gr projectiles. Here's the beast in all it's 1700mm glory.
IMG_3015.JPG

Now thats a nice looking gun
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 22 Mar 2017, 6:32 pm

scaredyet wrote:What's the latest with this. Can you post what the project cost all up

An update is in order on the topic of costs...

Prices in AUD calculated at prevailing exchange rate on day of purchase Inc GST.
Action - $3485
Barrel - $1190
Reamers $1090
U.S Brokerage - $665
Shipping / Packaging US-AUS $1702
AUS Brokerage / customs / duties / taxes - $897
Gunsmith labour, Stock, Trigger, Brake - $4658
NSW Dealer fees $200
Shipping to QLD $80
Shipping to NSW - $238.18
March Tactical MTR1 8-80x56 $4048
SEB Max Coaxial $2200
NSW Registration - $40
PTA - $30

For a grand total of $20,224.00 AUD

I went $224 over my budget and haven't included any ammunition costs. I already shoot and reload 50BMG so no additional funds were required to tool up for reloading. The SEB rest is awesome and I'm considering some other BR type comps to get involved in now that I've got it.

A breakdown of the gun smithing costs Inc GST
McMillan Super50 BR - Urban Spectre $2085
Fit, Chamber & Crown $450
Full custom brake, and fit $485
Supply / Install "Flavio 1.5oz BR" trigger $595
Bedding / Gluing / Inletting $538
Profile Barrel $75
Fit / Epoxy Rail $45
Tools (Barrel clamp & Action Wrench) $285
Packaging $100

Comments
Gun Smith - I know that its a difficult job to machine a barrel this long, diameter and weight but the quality of workmanship exceeded my expectations which were quite high. Looking at the throat through a bore scope shows no signs of tool marks, jagged edges or swarf. The chamber is flawless as is the turning and threading of the Tenon. The gaps around the barrel to stock are uniform and precise as is the bedding. It was decided at the outset to bed the action then to epoxy it to the stock permanently due to the length and mass of the barrel which meant extra work was required to make the trigger removable.

The Stock is very well made and the extra work required to allow the trigger to be removed with the action glued in is much appreciated and an insightful addition by the smith. The trigger is a problem for me cause now that I've felt the best all my other rifles have crap triggers in comparison :D . I've cocked the bolt and dropped the rifle on it's butt several times, tapped around the action and stock with a rubber mallet and as yet haven't been able to make it misfire even though it's a 1.5oz hair trigger. I'll have to relearn trigger control for this one.

Projectiles
I've been working with a company in QLD (sort of getting into bed with the enemy :lol: ) to develop a 800gr solid copper CNC projectile locally. Initial testing has been done with 20 rounds fired through the "Flinch Master 50" with very promising results. Pricing will be half what I currently pay for an equivalent product and other lovers of the half inch Browning in Australia can share in the savings in the very near future.

Perspective on the cost
$20k is roughly 20 months of beer and cigarette money for a pack a day / case a week person. Considering I've been building this for 20 months I've spent the same amount and have more to show for the money spent :D

Pictures
Sorry, none yet as it's still not screwed together. ItsMe was over on the weekend and had a fondle of it (the rifle, not my package). I'll be fitting the barrel this weekend with the help of a friend and will get pictures then.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Mar 2017, 9:19 pm

Sounds great Brett, she'd want to shoot well after all the effort you've gone too. Will she be ready for the next shoot or not?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 22 Mar 2017, 10:21 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Sounds great Brett, she'd want to shoot well after all the effort you've gone too. Will she be ready for the next shoot or not?

I'm the process of building a case for it, the seller on eBay with the coffins never got in touch so I went with plan B. I bought all the fittings last weekend and will borrow a mates ute tomorrow or Friday to pickup a couple sheets of 2400x1200x 17mm form ply. Case will be 1800 long and 400 square which might be a little on the heavy side but it'll last till I can get something better made in aluminium. Apart from the case and screwing the barrel in I'm all set for Mildura Saturday week, picking up a mate in the gong on the way to share the driving and to help grunting stuff around. If I can break in the barrel on the Friday practise I'll compete with the BR50 otherwise I've got a good load for the "Flinch Master 50" I can use and the bruise from 2 weeks ago has almost gone :lol: I don't generally bruise from recoil but 48 rounds through the Flinch Master 50 in 2 hrs seems to have found my limit. I'm very curious to see how much or little the 50BR kicks, the recoil pad on the stock looks and feels quite soft. Another challenge for this week is making a cleaning rod 60" long cause the longest if found is 44" so ill do a cut & shut on 2 shorter rods for now.

If it doesn't perform then I'll re-barrel it to .416 Barrett or a 375-416 Wildcat :) It's almost an identical spec to the current world record holding rifle with a few upgrades so I'm confident it'll perform better then me. Reading wind is the last skill I'm needing to master as this stage.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 22 Mar 2017, 11:16 pm

800 gn copper solid should buck the wind O.K.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Mar 2017, 4:57 am

brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Sounds great Brett, she'd want to shoot well after all the effort you've gone too. Will she be ready for the next shoot or not?

I'm the process of building a case for it, the seller on eBay with the coffins never got in touch so I went with plan B. I bought all the fittings last weekend and will borrow a mates ute tomorrow or Friday to pickup a couple sheets of 2400x1200x 17mm form ply. Case will be 1800 long and 400 square which might be a little on the heavy side but it'll last till I can get something better made in aluminium. Apart from the case and screwing the barrel in I'm all set for Mildura Saturday week, picking up a mate in the gong on the way to share the driving and to help grunting stuff around. If I can break in the barrel on the Friday practise I'll compete with the BR50 otherwise I've got a good load for the "Flinch Master 50" I can use and the bruise from 2 weeks ago has almost gone :lol: I don't generally bruise from recoil but 48 rounds through the Flinch Master 50 in 2 hrs seems to have found my limit. I'm very curious to see how much or little the 50BR kicks, the recoil pad on the stock looks and feels quite soft. Another challenge for this week is making a cleaning rod 60" long cause the longest if found is 44" so ill do a cut & shut on 2 shorter rods for now.

If it doesn't perform then I'll re-barrel it to .416 Barrett or a 375-416 Wildcat :) It's almost an identical spec to the current world record holding rifle with a few upgrades so I'm confident it'll perform better then me. Reading wind is the last skill I'm needing to master as this stage.

I look forward to hearing how it all pans out Brett, you should be in with a good chance I'd say so long as you find the load it likes to shoot and sorting out the wind reading - what ranges are you shooting 1km or is it out to 2km now (can't remember where the range is up to now).

I think Michelle and John are going - if so say G'day to em for me. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scaredyet » 23 Mar 2017, 7:57 am

Wow
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Mar 2017, 9:03 am

Makes me feel a bit inadequate shooting my .22, which is unusual for me next to Brett :lol:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles