Project 50

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Project 50

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Apr 2017, 10:04 am

Apollo wrote:What's this bashing the bolt closed bit.. ??

Indeed :o
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Apr 2017, 10:36 am

Decent bit of blast..... looked like you got a kiss there...... :shock: :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 01 Apr 2017, 8:40 pm

The first few rounds were factory Hornady 750Gr AMAX and I was surprised that they were a little tight in the chamber. My Lapua brass cases were silky smooth so I assume the factory ammo is closer to the max tolerance of the SAAMI specifications. Keep in mind that this is precision chambered with a brand new unused reamer and some factory rounds might be a little tight.

The competition has been run and done for this match, I scored 1st in the "Heavy Gun" class and equal first overall though mid field for smallest group size with a best of 186mm (I think, so don't hold me to that). I was very happy to place every shot in the 9, 10 or bull with some very tight 3 shot groups of 2-3" an the other 2 within 18cm. Some lessons were learned and next outing will yield better results, give I started the weekend with an unfired unsighted rifle with no ballistic data I'm happy. The mirage was nasty and the wind even worse, quite strong, gusty and constantly changing directions.
I'm a bit disappointed the poor turn out as many of the usual competitors couldn't make it for one reason or another, the Harbor family couldn't come so that was 3 competitors lost in 1 go, some of the Queenslanders pulled out due to weather as well as some of the Melbournians unable to attend to the field was down to 10 or 11. We were done by 2pm so it was open range and open season on the 600yd & 700yd gongs with the 50's which was huge fun, broke out the hand cannon and took to the 300m gongs with it. One of the gents gave me a few shots out of his 500 S&W Magnum, so I can cross that off my bucket list. As usual Paul and the LRSC Members ran an excellent event, the CA Pistol club put on a BBQ Lunch which was great and much appreciated.
On Monday I will get myself organised to head over to the U.S in June / July to shoot. I'll travel with Paul, split the cost and he offered me the use of his rifle while there which is very generous of him and too good an opportunity to pass up.
Shot some other video and took pics which I'll post when I get home but for now it's shower and bed time as it's a long drive home in the morning.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Apr 2017, 8:50 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Decent bit of blast..... looked like you got a kiss there...... :shock: :P

Probably just the angle of the camera as the scope never got close to hitting me, Weatherby brand Band-Aids were not required though 2 boxes were in the range box :lol: . I wasn't particularly holding the rifle tight as even in free recoil is was only coming back a few inches at most. I will order the longer aluminum fore end base during the week and I need to make or buy a better rear rest as 3 layers of sand bags isn't working for me. I'm looking to shoot the rifle without having to hold or touch it so I can remove a short fat variable from the ballistics :)
I'll get cracking on load development with the new 800gr solid coppers in the next month or 2 and then we'll see how it groups. I've got 2 more barrels in the pipeline with one being a .416 Barrett and the other as 375/416 Wildcat in preparation for 3200m competition.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles