Project 50

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Project 50

Post by brett1868 » 21 Sep 2016, 9:52 pm

Should be similar to this but in a grey stock and different brake, not to mention a substantially less attractive trigger jockey. I'll give Stuart a call tomorrow and put him on a mission to supply the front / rear rests in case they take a month or 2 to get.

IMG_2713.jpg
IMG_2713.jpg (145.73 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 21 Sep 2016, 9:53 pm

brett1868 wrote:It's around 23kg just for those 2 bits with a finished goal weight of under 30kg once completed. For the cost of the shipping, I could have flown to the U.S and brought it back in my luggage for less but unfortunately that wasn't an option :(

:lol: cool.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 21 Sep 2016, 10:04 pm

I thought you might have a clue "Strikey" and I'm not going to say anything. Brett has confirmed and I'll would prefer to talk with Brett and pass on a contact who is my own Smith and has 2-3 times more experience in the business but these days rejects in general new customers.

The person who Brett is talking about has made a few mistakes in the past and has built a custom rifle for me which had a rather serious mistake and some minor one's so enough said at this point.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 21 Sep 2016, 10:12 pm

Brett, I'm sure the young lady in the photo is not only a lot prettier than you, a lot younger plus probably a lot smaller in build.

The SEB I mentioned in the PM I think is a SEB MAX and not even sure if Stuart is even dealing with him these days, certainly the normal SEB has been dropped from contention. However....

https://www.q-store.com.au/products/seb ... front-rest

And that's not much different in price to what a new Farley costs like I use.

I'm thinking of needing something to counter the torque rotation and that you may at some stage think of needing an offset wide forend plate, up to 8" wide and a rifle weight of 110lbs..

Oh BTW.

If you have never used a coxial joystick rest for precision shooting then it's about time you had a play. Beats the heck out of anything else.
Last edited by Apollo on 21 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm

Gwion wrote:That much barrel hanging off the action is bound to create some stresses. But, as you say, an experience custom comp level smith should be able to steer you right.

So hang the action off the barrel :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Apollo » 21 Sep 2016, 10:27 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Gwion wrote:That much barrel hanging off the action is bound to create some stresses. But, as you say, an experience custom comp level smith should be able to steer you right.

So hang the action off the barrel :thumbsup:

You got it in one... :thumbsup:

Same idea but this is a Rail Gun, take away the frame and sub a stock. The barrel block isn't quite as big, like half this used in a benchrest stock.
Attachments
Picture 848.jpg
Picture 848.jpg (90.43 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 21 Sep 2016, 10:37 pm

Another version but still not what I have in mind, I'll find a typical Benchrest Rifle with Barrel Block at some stage. This one I believe was used at a 500m Fly Shoot, Heavy Gun at Canberra.
Attachments
IMG_4645.jpg
IMG_4645.jpg (139.67 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 21 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm

A note on the choice of Gunsmith...I had only 1 choice due to the fact that none of the other 10+ gunsmiths around Australia I spoke to had the machinery to do the barrel. I'm aware of some issues with work my choice of smith has done in the past along with many glowing recommendations of his successes so I'm reasonably confident in his abilities. My initial plan was to have it machined in the U.S but that adds a new level of complexity with ITAR compliance, Import requirements, Taxes, Duties, Shipping and handling costs because it ceases to be components and becomes a firearm once chambered / Assembled so I decided to get it built locally. There's been 12 months of research, phone calls and emails to get this far along with a massive amount of my time / cash. If you think you know a gunsmith who's better qualified, by all means call them and ask if they can precision chamber, crown and fit to action a 43" x 2" 16kg 416 S/S barrel along with making a 2" diameter 416 S/S brake. They must also reside in either NSW, VIC or have firearms registry approval in their state to handle 50Cal rifles. If they're able and willing I'd be happy to talk to them.
One of my other goals with this particular project is to increase awareness of the FCSA and their competitions in Australia. I took part in a committee meeting in Mildura and there's a good chance we'll get a NSW branch along with a new purpose built police approved 1000yd range for 50Cal within a couple hours drive of Sydney in the not too distant future. Grow the sport, increase our numbers and just maybe we can change some of the misperceptions joe public has about shooting as a legitimate sport / leisure activity / conservation option.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 21 Sep 2016, 10:56 pm

Wow, it wasn't a dig at your choice nor anything else.

I'll leave the topic alone.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 22 Sep 2016, 12:02 am

Apollo wrote:Wow, it wasn't a dig at your choice nor anything else.

I'll leave the topic alone.

Nah mate, never saw it as a dig. I'm actually genuinely wanting to get recommendations for quality gunsmiths as I've got a couple more projects in the works for next year. Doing the due diligence at the moment to see if its feasible before I approach the registry to get the import permits approved. I am heading to the U.S again early next year to talk to a manufacturer and that's all I'll say at this stage.
Thanks for the pics of the barrel block setup, I've seen that configuration but wasn't aware of the name. I thought about going down that path early on but the added expense and lack of high end local knowledge put me off plus I wanted a more traditional looking rifle. I had to draw a line somewhere that balanced out cost verses practicality.
Will make a start on a case possibly this weekend, thinking to construct something from form ply then laminate with aluminium checker plate, decent hinges and a few locking points. I'll drill 4 holes in the bottom so I can stand it up against the wall and secure it with dynabolts. That'll satisfy the Police on safe storage and when I want to shoot I can open the door, undo the bolts, shut the door and hit the range. A handle on the top and some removable wheels on the bottom should make moving it around a piece of piss. Seen similar setups in the U.S for this sized firearm which seem to work well. It's not a massive weight to move but I'm getting old so need to use brains rather then brawn to transport it.

Check this high tech rig out....hydraulically actuated trigger and built on its own trailer...Not sure about the rest of it but it certainly looks impressive.
IMG_2838.jpg
IMG_2838.jpg (153.28 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Sep 2016, 8:16 am

Hole saw through the top of gunsafe and poke the barrel out. :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 22 Sep 2016, 10:22 am

Would it be rude to ask a ballpark figure of how much this endeavour will cost? I'm just curious what that rarified air costs to breath ;). I understand if you want to keep it under your hat, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one wondering though . I'm guessing 25k, am I even close ?
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 22 Sep 2016, 11:37 am

Supaduke wrote:Would it be rude to ask a ballpark figure of how much this endeavour will cost? I'm just curious what that rarified air costs to breath ;). I understand if you want to keep it under your hat, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one wondering though . I'm guessing 25k, am I even close ?

Not rude, I'm looking to encourage others to build this type of rifle. Cost so far is $12,530 to be exact for the bare rifle with the only unknowns being the shipping to / from QLD which couldn't be more then a few hundred. I'll get the full rig built ready to shoot for a fraction under $21k based on the below breakdown of costs.

Prices in AUD calculated at prevailing exchange rate on day of purchase.
Action - $3485
Barrel - $1190
U.S Brokerage - $665
Shipping / Packaging US-AUS $1702
AUS Brokerage / customs / duties / taxes - $897
NSW Dealer fees $200
Shipping to QLD ???
Gunsmith labour, Stock, Trigger, Brake - $4315
Shipping to NSW - ???
NSW Registration - $50
PTA - $30

Add another $2250 for Farley front rest / rear bag and you're at $15k ready to compete with the exception of scope / base / ammo

I will be fitting a S&B PMII 12-50x56 $3490 rec retail & Era-Tac base $675 - $4165 - Purchased a while back on special and currently sitting under my desk at home.
Cost of first 100 rounds - $1700 then $8 per shot thereafter to reload.

Might seem like a lot of money but considering a Barrett M95 costs $12,100 compared to my $12,500 for bare rifle it's a no brainer for me. The costs have been spread over 12 months so it's not a massive single hit to the wallet. The Barrett M95 is awesome to shoot and capable of reasonable accuracy but my custom will make the Barrett its bitch when it comes to precision :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 22 Sep 2016, 12:31 pm

Holy sh!t Brett! That's gonna be a freaking sick rifle!
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 22 Sep 2016, 2:17 pm

SEB (Sebastian Lambang (SEB Engineering)) himself with his own designed stock (wide forend) to counter against torque twist. With his SEB Max in the background.
Attachments
MHP_4231.JPG
MHP_4231.JPG (85.56 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Feb 2017, 2:59 pm

Been a long time between updates but finally the finish line is in sight. Stock is finished and should arrive from MacMillan mid next week ready for final fitting prior to shipping. Phil has kindly made me a custom action wrench and barrel clamp so I can screw it back together when it arrives in Sydney as it's too big for shipping and even disassembled he's knocking up a custom shipping case for me.

Can anyone recommend a good place for Cerakote in Sydney with a quick turn around time?

5 feet of crotch hardening barreled action
IMG_1367.jpg
IMG_1367.jpg (552.57 KiB) Viewed 5663 times

The brake, not sure if its resemblance to a sex toy was on purpose or the smith expressing a wicked sense of humor.
IMG_1368.jpg
IMG_1368.jpg (530.53 KiB) Viewed 5663 times

Next FCSA Australian competition is in Mildura on the 1st of April....Appropriate date, Clown debuts huge cannon on April Fools...

Next update with pictures and maybe video once I get it home in a few weeks :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 06 Feb 2017, 3:50 pm

Brett that thing is magnificent. Have really enjoyed reading through the journey of getting this thing built. A Very impressive project.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Feb 2017, 3:59 pm

Nice on Brett, if you get it together soon enough you might be able to win that trip to the US I've been hearing about.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Noisydad » 06 Feb 2017, 4:12 pm

Sounds like it would be easier to pass through a brick wall by osmosis than get this project up and running! Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your frustration though! You'll need to design a safe big enough to house it too I reckon.
Last edited by Noisydad on 07 Feb 2017, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Feb 2017, 4:49 pm

That brake is a little embarrassing..... a smidge phallic ..

But I'd possibly make the trip to Mildura to watch you shoot it... What should i bring? I dont have anything bigger than a 45cal though...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 06 Feb 2017, 5:15 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:That brake is a little embarrassing..... a smidge phallic ..

But I'd possibly make the trip to Mildura to watch you shoot it... What should i bring? I dont have anything bigger than a 45cal though...

So you see it as well....Since the stock will be grey I might do a grey camo cerakote job on it and name the rifle "50 Shades" :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Feb 2017, 6:21 pm

But if you went darker on the barrel you could call it 50 shades darker.....
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 07 Feb 2017, 3:35 am

Extremely cool. But if I spend that kind of scratch I want a belt hanging out of it ;)

I was going to say looking forward to the next one, but now I am not sure which is more cool!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 07 Feb 2017, 5:48 am

Title remember we are the convict nation who can't be trusted with belts!

Not trying to hijack... but this is what we are dealing with here..

A gun shop was importing Ruger magazines and they were told they filled in the wrong form as it was for a restricted category. They have 30 days to submit the correct form or the goods will be destroyed.

IMG_4697.JPG
IMG_4697.JPG (78.34 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 07 Feb 2017, 6:45 am

Ugh... Yeah.

Back to Brett's project.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Feb 2017, 8:22 am

Brett... you might need a Rabbi to do the um... barrel work...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 20 Feb 2017, 6:13 pm

Bit of an update on progress.
I felt a bit guilty about fitting a S&B PMII 12-50x56 on this rifle as my theme was to use the best of the best on the market. While the S&B is an awesome bit of glass and capable of doing the job it wasn't quiet the "Best" on the market for this class of rifle. I bit the bullet so to speak and purchased a March 8-80x56 tactical with MTR-1 reticule and the clarity blew me away. I set the zoom to 80x and had no difficulty reading parking signs out around 1200m, could probably go much further if I wasn't holding it in my hand.
The final big dollar item was a proper rest and I chose the SEB Max coaxial joystick because it'll handle the mass of the rifle with ease. I unboxed the unit on Saturday afternoon only to discover a part was missing. There's a shaft with a set of counter weights on it to balance out the joystick movement when using >25kg rifles. I called the supplier this morning and was promised a call back in 10 mins, 4 hours later I called them. Apparently I have to wait till they check with the manufacturer to see if that part should be included. They checked a few other boxes and the counter weight is there, it's clearly stated as included in the manual and the advertisement so I fail to see why it's now my problem that it's missing.
The SEB rest is a work of machining artwork, pure precision and right up there with the best of the best of F-Class rifle rests. I have to wait till tomorrow now to see what the boss has to say so hopefully he'll put the customer first and send me one from another box. Worse case is they dick me around and i'm up for a long wait for the manufacturer to sort it out.
Finally, the stock is in the country and the smith has filed the paperwork to get it released from customs. I'm hoping for it to be released in the next day or so and the final work can be done before shipping back to Sydney next week.

Photo's....cause we all know it's B.S without pictures :)

IMG_2986.JPG
SEB Max Coaxial Joy stick rest
IMG_2986.JPG (230.34 KiB) Viewed 5778 times

IMG_2988.JPG
What's in the box - Scope, Flip up covers. Mirage hood, Manual and cleaning cloth.
IMG_2988.JPG (228.76 KiB) Viewed 5778 times

IMG_2989.JPG
Mount just temp fitted till I get the rifle as I'll need to set proper eye relief.
IMG_2989.JPG (164.16 KiB) Viewed 5778 times

IMG_2990.JPG
Yep...80x which is better then my 60x spotting scope
IMG_2990.JPG (139.05 KiB) Viewed 5778 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Feb 2017, 6:39 pm

What an amazing bit of kit! :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 20 Feb 2017, 9:51 pm

Sigh, very jealous. Well done sir. Great looking bits of kit
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 20 Feb 2017, 10:51 pm

The closer it gets the more impatient I become....Currently contemplating having to cut the top outta an existing safe or make one along with a custom transport case. I'm giving serious consideration to buying a coffin at Costco as it'll be the right size, plenty of lifting points, just needs a little extra padding and I think locks are included. The looks on peoples faces as I drive to the range with a coffin strapped to the roof rack of the .204 Rattler would be worth it. Costco even have a "Brass Urn" so maybe one of them for the fired rounds...Thinking of rifle names..."50 Shades of Death" might be fun :lol:

Coffin.jpg
Project 50 Custom Case
Coffin.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 5747 times

SilverOakBrassUrn.jpg
Spent rounds container
SilverOakBrassUrn.jpg (71.32 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales